Connector Not Connecting to HP EX470 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I got my server in the mail.  I put a 1 TB drive in place of the stock drive.  I performed a factory reset.  Now the drive light is purple as is the health light.  However, when I try to install the connector software it fails to find my server.  I thought about doing another factory reset, but that software can't find it either!

Any guesses?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:22 AM

All replies

• Well I figured out that if I push a paper clip into the hole on the front on each page of the setup that it would find it.  However, I have to push it each time the install interacts with the server.  Since I found out how to have my computer discover the server again I'm going to do another factory reset.  If this doesn't work I'm shipping it back to HP and building my own home server box.

-Ryan
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Ryan, I have to ask: have you read the documentation that comes with your server? (All of that documentation is available for download here.) Having those two lights glow purple is an expected condition when the server hasn't been configured yet (as will be the case right after a factory reset). Also, after a factory reset, the server will download and install some updates. Until that's done, it's quite possible that you would have trouble connecting from a client to finish the OOBE.

My suggestion is to do that factory reset, then just leave the server alone overnight. Then try installing the connector.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Your advice is exactly right.  The problem most have is they don't realize that the "factory reset" can take several hours to complete.  I took out the 500GB Seagate that came with the EX470 and installed a 1TB Seagate 7200.11.  You have to do everything in sequence which is in the instructions.  The use of the reset button is done only once and starts the factory reset in motion - but you have to do it after you carefully read the documentation that comes with the unit.

Since my installation of a new primary disk, I have installed 3 additional 1TB 7200.11 and everything works as planned.  I am getting ready to install an external drive (enclosure) with another 1TB 7200.11 in order to have sufficient storage for backups of tons of HD media.  So far the EX470 works perfectly!

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Boliek, you should look into an external SATA enclosure with a port multiplier and room for multiple disks. The HP is able to connect with a port multiplier, per HP, so you should be able to put up to 5 additional disks in.
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Yes, I followed the directions.  From them is where I learned that purple means it's waiting for initial setup.  I waited overnight and I still can't connect to the server.

I would have thought that the factory reset software completing would mean that it was... complete.  I tried using the toolkit provided by Microsoft and that basically said everything failed.  I spoke with HP support this morning and they had me send them the log file from that diagnosis.  They said they will analyze it and get back to me in approximately one week.

My network consists of a DSL modem plugged into a LinkSys WRT54G router.  Two wired computers and two wireless laptops off of that.  Nothing really fancy.  I tried from multiple computers (all running XP Pro with latest updates).

-Ryan

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:54 PM
  • As an update I tried disabling the windows firewall and stopping Symantec antivirus service.  This didn't help.

-Ryan
    Friday, December 7, 2007 8:27 PM
  • I would wait to hear back from HP. I've done both a factory reset and a restoration, and they both worked perfectly.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 12:35 AM