How to identify SATA physical disc drives RRS feed

• Question

• How do I identify the actual physical disc drive in the server pool? I have 4 x 1 TB drives with the same part number and 2 x 0.5 TB drives again same part number.

If i remove a 0.5 TB drive from the home server pool, how do i know which physical drive that is?

The Advanced Admin Console > Admistrative Tools > Computer Management doesn't seem to help in relating the serial number to a drive.

Cheers,
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:24 AM

Answers

• First of all, read this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/7a05ddef-cd70-4859-97d9-d01f1512001f

I'm guessing you have a home built whs and don't have any light showing you the drive status.
    What I would do is to remove the drive from the pool using the console.
    When the drive is no longer in the pool, power off the server and disconnect one of the drives which you think it might be.
    Start the server again.
    If whs is complaining about a missing drive, shut down again and reconnect the drive, and disconnect the other drive.
    Boot up again and check if the server is working correct with the 5 drives. If so, you know that you have removed the physical drive which you removed from the pool.
    If you are planning on installing a new drive instead, just power down again and install the new drive in the empty slot and boot up. Add the new drive to the pool.

/Bjurran from Sweden
    • Proposed as answer by Bjurran Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:10 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:07 AM