Activated Vista suddenly not validated RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I have had Vista Business installed since Feb 10, 2007 with few problems (Retail license from MS Action Pack Subscription).  Last night, I tried downloading something from Microsoft's web site and it said I needed to validate my Windows Vista.  No Problem, since I'm all legit.  It failed, saying that I needed to activate Vista.  I went to Control Panel -> System, which says that I am activated.  I even tried opening a command prompt and typing "slui 2" which would electronically activate me if I weren't.  It said I was activated.  But every time I try to validate, it always comes back saying that it can't validate me until I activate my copy of Windows.  What's more, on my desktop, it says, "This copy of Windows is not genuine."

What can I do?  I have read about people using System Restore and going back to an earlier time and avoiding certain updates.  However, when I went to see if I had any recent restore points, there were none.  I even have it set to automatically create restore points but there were none.

TIA for any help.

-Joe

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hello joepv,

If your System Properties window is showing that you're activated and online validation says you're not, please:

1. Phone activate and speak with a support agent when you’re given the option.  You can start by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter. Follow the prompts through phone activation (be ready for lots of numbers) and then reboot.  The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

2. Once you're done, please revalidate by clicking on "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

After you've validated successfully you can log out and log back in or reboot to get rid of any non-genuine messaging you may be getting.

If you’ve tried phone activation and you're still reaching the same validation failure page (with error code 0xC004C4A6), please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860 and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue. 

If you're not in the US, please also post the name of the support agent who contacts you by e-mail once you've made the free service request.

Thank you!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 2:14 AM