Run 2 ACER servers on same home network RRS feed

• Question

• Are there any known conflict issues (can't locate any so far) regarding attaching two differently named servers (both will be ACER Easystore H340 models) to the same home network and both running WHS software? The shared folders created on each p/c desktop would need to be renamed to identify each server. The server icon on the bottom toolbar to log into the console would become 2 icons and I assume that I can only decide to log onto either server based on firstly identifying the contents of the server shared folders when I right click on either server icon? Any other way of differentiating these icons?

Friday, November 27, 2009 11:36 PM

All replies

• You can join a home computer to only one server at a time. The icon you use to run the console will connect to that server, the home computer will back up to that server, and that server's remote access web site will grant access to the home computer's desktop (assuming it's running a version of Windows that permits remote desktop connections). None of those functions will work with the server the home computer is not joined to.

You can access the shares on either server, however, and the servers won't interfere with each other in regular operation, as long as you make sure they receive different names when you set them up. When installing them, you will probably want to turn the first server off while you're setting up the second one, because you may not be able to get the connector installation to detect the second server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:29 AM
  • I installed the second server which took somewhat longer than expected. There were an unexpected conflict - I think because the new server initially expected an older/different version of the connector software from the existing up-to-date server connector software already installed and I then received various messages advising connector software was "not compatible" to connect to the new server. I had previously downloaded updates but this problem still occurred. In the end after not being able to download software from the server as I was unable to connect to the new server I did a server reset and finally managed (don't ask me precisley what changed by doing this...) to access and install the connector software - only after the other connector software had been "completely" uninstalled with at least 2/3 "wishful" computer restarts. I thought that when I was advised that a home computer could only join one server at a time this actually meant that both servers could still be installed on the same computer and I could then decide which server console to log-on to. My revised understanding is that this is an either/or case as the connector software auto uninstalls the existing (other) server software and replaces with a new install for the new server. In reality this means that the computer chosen to install the new server becomes detached from the other server where it's user files and back-ups are retained and becomes the first computer on the new server. Can I recommend that the connector software should remain installed and the user should be given a choice of which server console to log-on to. I then installed remote access on the new server and can access via the internet.

Two Further Questions:

1) How can the shared folders icon for both servers be installed on each computer desktop with uninstalling the existing installing server connector software and replacing with the new server connector software on each computer?

2) If I replicate the data onto each of the drives in server (1) can I then remove one of the drives and transfer to server (2) and will the server (1) data remain intact on server (2). I want to achieve duplicate data on each server but I do not want to use replication on each server other than to create all data on one drive to make the initial transfer to the new server. If I then switch off replication in both servers will both severs then automatically rebalance the data between the discs? 

Thanks 

Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:54 PM
  • I thought I was pretty clear. You have only one installation of the connector on a particular computer, and that installation joins it to a particular server. Assuming your servers have the same patch level, you can swap a client computer to the other server by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe , but if you switch servers it's no longer joined to the first one, and will not back up to it any more.

The shared folders icon is nothing more than a shortcut to \\SERVER (assuming your server is called SERVER) so you could create a second one manually and point it to SERVER2.

As for swapping drives with data intact, no, you will not be able to do that. Just as client computers are joined to, and back up to, a particular server, the drives in your server are a part of the storage pool on that server, and can't be swapped to another server without being reformatted by that other server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:05 AM
  • The functionality is becoming clearer to me - bit-by-bit!

I have both servers set to automatic update (how do I re-check this setting?) and noticed that server (1) has W.H.S. version 6.0.2423.0 however server (2) has version 6.0.2030.0. How do I bring server (2) up to the same version?

There was an upgrade to the new server (2) connector overnight which I have now installed. I noticed that external access by HTTPS was blocked until I installed the upgraded connector software on the computer and after this I then had to refresh the connection to access homeserver. Is this the standard sequence?

Thanks   
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Both servers are now updated to 6.0.2423.0   N.F.A.

HTTPS connection working N.F.A.

Thanks
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:45 PM