none
Posts from the NNTP bridge do not display in thread view RRS feed

• Question

• Now that the NNTP bridge is up and running again, there is reason to look into an old issue with postings from the bridge.

For whatever reason, posts from the NNTP bridge are not visible immediately, put into a queue and then made visible with some delay. After a minute or so, the message appears in the thread, no problem.

However, views which only lists the thread are not updated. Look at this:

But if you go this thread, you will see that the last post in this thread is from me, and it's a post I made from the NNTP bridge. (Nothing exciting, just a small celebration of the return of the bridge.)

This means that a user that monitors the forum for responses by looking at My Threads of the topic list for the forum, will not see that there is a response, if the only response is from the NNTP bridge. Whether posts from the NNTP bridge generates alerts, I don't know, but it is of course important that it does.

(This message is posted from the web UI, as I wanted to include the screenshot.)

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• I remember this issue. As I recall, the fix (workaround) was for someone else (not using the bridge) to post to the thread. It was not a matter of delay.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, November 1, 2013 4:31 PM
  • I remember this issue. As I recall, the fix (workaround) was for someone else (not using the bridge) to post to the thread. It was not a matter of delay.

Yes, it seems to be precisely this issue once again. :-(

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Friday, November 1, 2013 6:47 PM
  • I remember this issue. As I recall, the fix (workaround) was for someone

else (not using the bridge) to post to the thread. It was not a matter of
    delay.

Of course - then that post will show that there is a more recent post! And,
    yes, there was also the situation when the posts were infinitely delayed in
    the thread itself. Thankfully, that issue is gone.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Friday, November 1, 2013 7:57 PM

Do you think it was ever written up as a bug?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:09 AM
    Owner
  • As I replied elsewhere, the problem was fixed, at least temporarily, before the Bridge stopped working.

(Re-)submitting this as a bug seems like a good idea to me.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:35 PM
  • I submitted this today. Thanks!!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:40 AM
    Owner
  • BTW, I can confirm that this bug is still there. I miss Erland's replies all the time until someone else replies in the thread.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:49 PM