Speech Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Microsoft says that Windows Server 2003 is the target platform for MOCS Speech Server 2007. Has somebody tried to setup it using Win2K8? We've had the same issues for BizTalk Server 2006 R2, and it turns out that BT Server actually works quite allright in properly configured Win2K8 environments. Is somebody aware of "hard restrictions" that might hinder us from installing Speech Server 2007 in Win2K8?

If there are hard restrictions, how about running Speech Server 2007 in a Hyper-V Virtual Server Environment on Windows 2003 Standard Edition for up to 30 parallel calls? Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks for your help in advance!

T.

SmartLogics Software & Consulting * Moving Faster * Dot Net Applications for Logistics & eBusiness
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

• 30 Calls in Hyper-V will suck. Your voice quality will be awful. Buy a cheap 1u server. Hyper-V works fine for development and testing thats is it. Same problem on VMWARE.

Win2k8 will work follow instructions for running on Windows Vista, I would stick with 2003 Server if you are going to run this in production.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:15 PM
  • I've not attempted to get speech server running on Server 2008 as of yet (it is on my list however) so I can't give you specific details on getting it working. That said, I don't know of any reason why it would fail. It should be said that this is an unsupported configuration by Microsoft. That could be because they've deemed it unnecessary to qualify it or it could be because they know about one or more issues that Server 2008 introduces.

Virtualizing your speech platform in any way is not a good idea. Speech processing requires high CPU, disk and memory utilization which makes in unattractive for virtualization. The idea behind virtualizing your resources is that it allows you to share resources across applications, the assumption being that no single application is using 100% of the resources at any given time. With speech telephony this is simply not the case.

- Marc LaFleur http://gotspeech.net/blogs/speakingfromtheedge/
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:00 PM