Money 2006 How to handle stock swap RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm still using Money 2006 and am not having any problems although I have not installed the Sunset Edition (should I?).

    On July 3 shares of Progress Energy Corp were exchanged for shares of Duke Energy Corp.  I tried adding shares for Duke and removing shares for Progress but can't figure out how to get Duke to start with the basis for Progress.  I guess I could edit the name and symbol for Progress to those for Duke and then remove the proper number of shares but this doesn't seem very elegant.  What is the proper method to reflect this transaction.

    Monday, July 23, 2012 5:56 PM

All replies

  • In Portfolio Manager: Record a special activity - Record a demerger and assign 100% of the cost of Progress to Duke.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 10:23 PM
  • You may have a problem with the spinoff in Money 2006. If you did not hold DUK before, you could split the Progress shares 54453 shares for every 62530 shares,  rename the security to Duke, and change the symbol to DUK. Have Money not retain fractional shares. Money will generate a Sell transaction for the leftovers. When you find out the CIL amount, modify the fractional share Sell transaction amount.

    Make a note in the Details. The basis amount and date will be maintained.

    If you are downloading the broker transactions with PocketSense, there are a couple other things you may want to do.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:02 AM