Crystal Report Hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday my Crystal Reports stopped working on my IIS server.  Once it stops working, nothing I've tried gets it to work again.  This happened 4 months ago as well and I had to install Crystal on a different server and modify my code to redirect to a different site  to get my web based reports to work.

Both times this has happened following a Deadlock detected error (#2262 Event Source W3SVC-WP)
    ISAPI 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll' reported itself as unhealthy for the following reason: 'Deadlock detected'.
    Sometimes when we have gotten this error (2 or 3 other times in the past 10 months), I've been able to recycle the application pool and restart the web site to get it back up.  But if that doesn't work, nothing works, not IIS Resets, not computer restarts, not removing Crystal .NET runtime and reinstalling, not creating a new virtual web for the crystal reports on the same server. This breaks for all web sites on that server that use Crystal.

Not all of Crystal is broken however.  Only the reports that I physically save to a PDF file quit being generated.  I have two reports that run in a toolbarless Crystal viewer window.  Those display fine.  And another report that is converted to a PDF in memory and displayed.  It isn't physically saved.  (Both times it has been the same on this.)  What is really interesting is the two reports that run in a toolbarless Crystal Viewer window are the same exact report as the ones that fail, only I have a watermark on the preview screen that is enabled.  Those reports are called from different ASPX pages however.

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 and the Crystal Reports .NET Runtime.  Code is in VB.  The ASPX page is called from an ASP page with parameters being passed to it in a querystring. Normally it processes the report, saves it to PDF in a virtual directory then redirects to an ASP page in the same web site as the calling ASP page.  We don't display the report.  The user then has an option to view the report that was generated.  In our testing we have determined that it fails on the report.load line.  We don't receive an error, it just hangs.  So it never redirects back to the asp page.  The original ASP page that called the aspx page is still visible on the users screen and they will typically click on another button on the screen to exit out of the hung operation.

I have Uninstalled Crystal, (and manually deleted the 2.8 folder within Program files\Business Objects),  deleted all files in c:\windows\temp on the IIS server, Reinstalled Crytal and have changed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Crystal Decisions\10.2\Report Application Server\Server\PrintJobLimit from 75 to -1 with reboots after uninstall and reinstall.  PDF's are still not being created on this server.

There has to be something on the server that is still wrong, corrupt, missing but I'm at a loss to what it is.  It is not the web site though as I copied it to a new server and it works fine on a different server.  (for now)

Nancy Forbes
    • Moved by Harry Zhu Monday, December 7, 2009 9:46 AM (From:Crystal Reports for Visual Studio)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:30 PM

Answers

• I know, this is old but I forgot to post our resolution.  On my IIS server I was getting DCOM errors.  There is a fix for the DCOM issue I am receiving but once I post this fix, it for some reason breaks MSPaint which is used by Crystal Reports.  The resolution was to change the permissions back and ignore the DCOM errors in the System Log.
    Nancy Forbes
    • Marked as answer by forbesn Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For questions relating to crystal report in asp.net, please post to :
    http://forums.asp.net/76.aspx .  You will get better and quicker responses from the experts there.

Harry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:46 AM
  • I know, this is old but I forgot to post our resolution.  On my IIS server I was getting DCOM errors.  There is a fix for the DCOM issue I am receiving but once I post this fix, it for some reason breaks MSPaint which is used by Crystal Reports.  The resolution was to change the permissions back and ignore the DCOM errors in the System Log.
    Nancy Forbes
    • Marked as answer by forbesn Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:42 PM