WHS restore not working RRS feed

• Question

• Three computers on my windows Home server all do the same thing. Backups go great. When I try to restore from the home server console the software seems to 'OPEN' the complete backup file then comes up with the error : "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it."  I don't have a drive E:  I say yes format then "Windows can't format E" also on Open Backup "Cannot mount the backup" So I then close everything and grumble What good are the backups.

Any Ideas how I can restore files from my many backups?

Yes it happens on all backups. The status is complete with a green check.

The drive letter changes depending of what computer I am trying to restore.

The backup database is clean and repair and cleanup work great .. No errors found

Saturday, July 31, 2010 10:50 PM

All replies

• Three computers on my windows Home server all do the same thing. Backups go great. When I try to restore from the home server console the software seems to 'OPEN' the complete backup file then comes up with the error : "You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it."  I don't have a drive E:  I say yes format then "Windows can't format E" also on Open Backup "Cannot mount the backup" So I then close everything and grumble What good are the backups.

Any Ideas how I can restore files from my many backups?

Yes it happens on all backups. The status is complete with a green check.

The drive letter changes depending of what computer I am trying to restore.

The backup database is clean and repair and cleanup work great .. No errors found

It's probably the "virtual" drive it's trying to create (mine creates a Z drive).  Do you have a Z drive mapped to anything?  Do you get the prompt that talks about installing a device driver?  How far does the restore percentage get to (do you even see that window)?
    Monday, August 2, 2010 4:04 AM