New implementation of OCS 2007 R2 VOICE - questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

We are looking to implement OCS 2007 R2 soon, and I'd like to find out a bit more about the external phone call details. We do NOT have a PBX internally, as we currently use a provided VOIP solution. We are looking to replace that with OCS inhouse, but I'm not sure what is needed, or if there are multiple was to get this accomplished.

I read about SIP Trunking, which sounds like you pay a provider to route all your phone calls, and pay a per-line and per-call price. is that about right?
    Is there an alternative, such as purchasing the gateway/device to only pay for our ISP line and nothing else? I am not sure, but after reviewing Technet, I am still as confused as I was when I began. Also, we have about 20 existing Cisco phones and while we can replace them, if they "can" work then we would keep them. I see this SmartSip add-on that supposedly takes care of that.

Thanks for any info,
    Greg
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:30 PM

All replies

• Greg,

At my company we have a T1 provided by our phone carrier, that T1 is plugged into an Audio Codes gateway, which handles the transition to OCS.  If you don't want to use a T1 you might be able to get away with a frac T or something else, not sure on that.  Here's a good list to go buy, it tells the types of gateways that will work with OCS.  For our purposes OCS with Response Group Services is a fully functioning PBX.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/bb735838.aspx

Hope this helps!

-KP

MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/Security+
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Greg,

Looks like there is a great deal of misunderstanding how exactly SIP Trunking works.

Here is one example:

One of our remote offices have 35 users. Currently all of them have individual phone lines. Each line cost $23.60 per month or $826 total.

The local carrier refuses to do fractional T1 which means we have to do full T1 (23 voice channels) or $542.80 plus $3 per DID and so the total bill will be $653.80

Currently we implementing OCS with SIP trunk from Broadvox. We will pay for 15 concurrent calls trunk (15 x $12.75) + 40 DID (40 x $1) which totals $231.25 per month.

$12.75 per channel is for GoLocal which is unlimited local calls and 0.02 or so per minute long distance. I personally don't care about it because in the head office we will have GoAnywhere (unlimited long distance) trunks and all calls outside the local calling area will be routed via this one.

With my respect to SmartSip, in your case, you will pay $2000 for the software plus licenses per phone to connect 20 phones... I would buy 20 Snom phones x $100 each and get over it. Now, if you had 2000 Cisco phones, this is different story.

Drago

Friday, April 17, 2009 8:47 PM