Router suggestions RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to upgrade my old Linksys WRT54GS router to an N-type router.  It has served me well in the past as a wired network but has been troublesome with my home server and RDC.  I am looking for suggestions for a brand of router whose setup software plays nice with WHS2011 auto configure, specifically in regards to UPnP setup and holding that good setup.  Also looking for suggestions for features that I need to be looking for when looking at a new router.  I am pretty good at building and maintaining my own computers but until recently have dealt little with networking.  So I would say I am looking for something very user friendly to a novice network administrator.  Within the past year our network has grown from a couple of homebrew desktops to 3 additional HP laptops, hence the reason for building my server and upgrading my router.  All clients are running Win7.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 8:47 PM

Answers

• I was hoping to get a number of recommendations out of my original post here but didn't get a lot of feedback before making a choice of purchase.  I continuously had problems with my recent WHS2011 build maintaining a good and reliable connection to remote web access.  I also had a lot of issues with downloading and loading the connection wizard on every one of the 4 clients on my network.  The wizard would hand about 90% into the installation and then time out with errors. 

The WRT54GS was great for wireless access before I built my server but just could not resolve the issues post server build with WHS.  I read a lot of reviews on routers before settling on the Cisco (Linksys) E3200.  I was a little apprehensive going with the same manufacturer especially not knowing how well it would mesh with WHS.  Well I am glad to say that the connection wizard on installation cd for the E3200 literally had my wifi network up and running in under 10 minutes on all clients.  I verified UPnP was enabled in the router settings and ran the router setup wizard in WHS.  It configured my router and there were no router setup failure errors reported by WHS like I was getting before.

I reloaded Launchpad connection software on each client to re-establish connection to the server and everything seems to be working fine now.  Setting the static IP address for the server was a snap in the advanced settings of the router too.  I plugged in the MAC address of the router and reserved a static IP for the server.  No need to get into the lan controller settings of my network card because DHCP should assign the server the same IP even if the router comes back from a power glitch. I went for the more costly E3200 ($129) over the E2400 ($89) because the throughput tests showed it had faster throughput for the 2.4 ghz band.  Hopefully this will help the older G devices in my network maintain rock solid performance into the future. Also since it is a true dual band router the newer N devices will not be slowed down by the G device traffic.  It's early to say how well the E3200 will perform in the long term but initial setup was very easy and worked me through all my issues with WHS I was experiencing.  Now when I log into Dashboard I am greeted with Zero error alerts on my Server status!

• Marked as answer by Guyj01 Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:57 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:54 PM

All replies

• If you are looking for a good UPnP router. Stay with Linksys. Wireless N, I throw them all up in the air. Gigabit, one just as good as the other. Stay away from the noname brands. What model, according to your needs and price point.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 12:04 AM
  • I was a huge fan of Linksys and the WRT54GS. I then went through a string of absolutely HORRIBLE experiences with them during the WRT160N days. Wow Linksys (probably Cisco) went and really screwed the pooch for a a while there. Everything I tried buying from them was absolute crap. I was rebooting constantly. Supposedly, it was an overheating issue. I gave up and went with the Buffalo routers. Specifically, I've been using the WHR-HP-G300N running the DD-WRT Firmware (v24-sp2 build 14896) and have had zero issues. Love the thing. My sister in law needed a new router and went to find her a Buffalo and couldn't find anyone who had my router locally. She needed something right away. So, I researched new options. And it seem that the Linksys e2400 had been getting great results. Could it be that Cisco stopped screwing up Linksys and let them get back on track? I hesitantly gave the e2400 to her as my formal recommendation. It's been working great for her. I even recommended it to my mom. It's been working great for her too. I don't give out recommendations to family easily as I don't want to end up being their personal tech support for all eternity. But, if I had to get a new one, I'd probably get myself the Linksys e2400.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:17 PM
  • I was hoping to get a number of recommendations out of my original post here but didn't get a lot of feedback before making a choice of purchase.  I continuously had problems with my recent WHS2011 build maintaining a good and reliable connection to remote web access.  I also had a lot of issues with downloading and loading the connection wizard on every one of the 4 clients on my network.  The wizard would hand about 90% into the installation and then time out with errors. 

The WRT54GS was great for wireless access before I built my server but just could not resolve the issues post server build with WHS.  I read a lot of reviews on routers before settling on the Cisco (Linksys) E3200.  I was a little apprehensive going with the same manufacturer especially not knowing how well it would mesh with WHS.  Well I am glad to say that the connection wizard on installation cd for the E3200 literally had my wifi network up and running in under 10 minutes on all clients.  I verified UPnP was enabled in the router settings and ran the router setup wizard in WHS.  It configured my router and there were no router setup failure errors reported by WHS like I was getting before.

I reloaded Launchpad connection software on each client to re-establish connection to the server and everything seems to be working fine now.  Setting the static IP address for the server was a snap in the advanced settings of the router too.  I plugged in the MAC address of the router and reserved a static IP for the server.  No need to get into the lan controller settings of my network card because DHCP should assign the server the same IP even if the router comes back from a power glitch. I went for the more costly E3200 ($129) over the E2400 ($89) because the throughput tests showed it had faster throughput for the 2.4 ghz band.  Hopefully this will help the older G devices in my network maintain rock solid performance into the future. Also since it is a true dual band router the newer N devices will not be slowed down by the G device traffic.  It's early to say how well the E3200 will perform in the long term but initial setup was very easy and worked me through all my issues with WHS I was experiencing.  Now when I log into Dashboard I am greeted with Zero error alerts on my Server status!

• Marked as answer by Guyj01 Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:57 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:54 PM
  • I too had a WRT54GS and used it for nearly 10 years however I got rid of the Linksys firmware about 2 months after I bought it. It was just too buggy and in the early days Linksys just wouldn't take any complaints and blamed everyone else instead of fixing things. All too often Linksys just went and released a new model instead of fixing the old one. I used to sell nearly a dozen a week in the early days but ditched the brand because of their attitude. Anyway, I went for a different open source (Sveasoft) firmware (thanks to linksys using a linux variant in the GS series). I was able to up the output power from the original 20mw to 78mw which gave me greater range. Unfortunately Sveasoft played silly on open source laws and lost my respect along with most everyone else so I ditched them and changed my WRT54GS firmware to DD-WRT. Never had any problems with either alternative firmware but ALL linksys routers need rebooting approx every couple of weeks and don't handle torrents well at all. Too many connections to one LAN IP and they fall over and need power cycling. But we digress, 10/100 ethernet and 54G Wi-Fi is just way too slow for streaming media from your home server at anything other than low quality to one device at a time. Time to think Gigabit Ethernet on your router (make sure you have gigabit Ethernet on your PC too) and I would recommend the Wi-Fi uses at least the "Draft Wireless N" specs. Do be aware that there is no actual standard over 54G (IEEE 802.11G). N is not yet actually approved it is still just a draft standard and this is why so many wireless N brands don't work together because they aren't actually using the specs in the draft standard and are pushing their own version of N. There is, theoretically, no limit on how fast Wireless N can operate. The draft allows for what is best described as multiple channels all sending and receiving at once to get a higner speed. Do remember that N is useless if your laptops use G or your model of router can't broadcast on both G and N at the same time. Many can't and will drop back to the slowest speed of any one connection for all connections. Anyway, we digress again, I now use and sell TPlink (Chinese OEM (hint- look at the case design to recognise who they make for)) and they are inexpensive, stable (stay up for months without a reboot) handle high connection numbers (good for torrents), the mfgr is alway willing to accept feedback and have allowed plenty of ROM for new firmware features, have a great range and gigabit ethernet as well. The model I use is the TL-WR2543ND. This unit is 450Mbps wi-fi dual band N with gigabit ethernet and USB host with DLNA for external hard disk. How much I hear you ask? They sell for approx AUD$80.00 thats less than half of what I payed for the Linksys 10 years ago.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:33 AM