Server Powers Down on it's own RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS that shuts it self off everyday. In the event logs I see the app. pop up asking if I'm sure I want to shut down, ( this is listed maybe a dozen times ) then after that a error stating that the previous shut down was unexpected. I haven't noticed any one app. or program that runs before that happens. It doesn't seem to happen at any set time either. The only add in I have is Avast. I did do a server re-install as I had trouble with a storage disk, and that was removed ok. I thought that was the reason for the shut downs hence the re-install. I've checked the power settings, there set to always on. I did have the server on a battery back up but I just today removed the usb link to it to see if that helps. other that this everything seems to be ok with the server. I don't get any other error messages, and only some random warnings that Microsoft says are ignorable,plug and play time out, time sync warnings, things of that nature. Everything is up to date and no viruses have been found. Thanks for any help that you can give me.
    Gene 
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone for the replys. So the server made it through the night. No shut downs, no problems. I left it plugged into the UPS but not hooked by the usb cable. Skyfury when it was hooked up before I let the windows App. take care of the UPS. that seemed to work out ok for the longest time. Lets hope that was the problem. I'll let ya know if anything else happends. Thanks again, Gene
    • Marked as answer by ebd Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:51 PM

All replies

• Since you've disconnected your UPS, has the problem recurred?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Thanks Ken, I just unpluged the usb cable right before I posted, so I'll have to wait and see on that. If it does happen again I'll restart the server and then dissconect the wwires to the power switch from the motherboard. Maybe a short there?
    Gene
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 5:48 PM
  • This probably won't help you much, but I'll share my experience with a similar issue:

The "previous shut down was unexpected" error usually comes after a bluescreen or non-OS shutdowns (like power outage). WHS is normally setup to restart on bluescreens. So when you say "shutdown" I assume it is actually powered off?

I had similar issues with my HP SmartMedia Server EX-475. I experienced bluescreens and reboots a couple of times each week. I could not see any connection until once I sat beside the server when I restartet my broadband router. Then suddenly the EX-475 also did a reboot (I heard the fans go to 100% and say the lights go out). I rebootet the router again and sure enough so did the EX-475 a few seconds later. Seems there was some issued with the NIC driver that came bundled from HP. I upgraded the drivers to the latest from SiS and the reboot problem has gone away.

But sometimes the server has shutdown (is not running) when I try to access it. This probably is not due to a bluescreen (since that would cause a reboot). At the time it was really hot (probably around 35C in the room with the server) and I expect there is some sort of overheat shutdown in the bios or something. But since the EX-475 is a "headless" server I cannot go into the bios and poke around. There where no warnings or issues in the event log at all until I power up and the "the previous shutdown was unexpected" i shown.

Now I'm logging CPU, HDD and system temps every 5 seconds to a file so I can take a look the next time this happens, but the heat-wave is over and the temperature is back down so the server has not been acting up for several days now. But I'll keep an eye on it.

To sum up:
    1. Could you be experencing bluescreen reboots (or shutdown if you have not configured the server to reboot)
    2. Could it be power outages (UPS related)
    3. Could it be bad hardware?
    4. Overheating protection?

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2 GB ram, 2 TB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Pal, I did have the server hooked to monitor keyboard and mouse next to my desktop where I could keep an eye on it so to speak. As I was checking the event viewer the server just started to shut down just like I had gone to the start button and clicked on restart or shut down. I saw the warning on the desktop telling me that shuting down the server would dissconect users and was not advised. Then it then it went a head and shut it self off. This has happened a number of times, no blue screen, and no errors except the pop up warnings in the viewer. I don't think the server is over heating as this has happened with the side cover off  (and on ) and cool air flowing into the case. I've set the server up to restart after a shut down, and to not restart. Either way I get no blue screens or warnings. It's like something hits the shutdown button and there it goes.
    Gene
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:45 PM
  • What sofware did you install to support your UPS? Try uninstalling.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:50 PM
  • I have experienced this issue as well and it seems to happen if it loses connection to the internet.
    • Marked as answer by ebd Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:15 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ebd Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:16 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Thanks everyone for the replys. So the server made it through the night. No shut downs, no problems. I left it plugged into the UPS but not hooked by the usb cable. Skyfury when it was hooked up before I let the windows App. take care of the UPS. that seemed to work out ok for the longest time. Lets hope that was the problem. I'll let ya know if anything else happends. Thanks again, Gene
    • Marked as answer by ebd Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:52 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:51 PM