locked
Resolution Field Value in Case Resolution Activity always contains "Resolve Case" field value in Microsoft CRM 2013. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a plugin running on the Case entity when a case gets closed. This gets the Resolution field value from the Case popup form and updates a custom field in Case form. This was working before Upgrade. But now this plugin always gets the same value, "Resolve Case". It is not containing the value which is entered in the Resolution field, here it is "This is resolved By Mahesh", 

    Also the Case Resolution Activity which gets created when a Case is resolved also contains the "Resolve Case", This seems to be an issue with the OOB functionality from MS. Can I go for Microsoft Support. Any help is very much appreciated. I observed this is happening in the new 2013 environment also.

    Thanks,

    Mahesh S.

    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

  • I opened a case with Microsoft on this and they told me its by design. I am not sure why they would even give us the option to type in a resolution if they are going to overwrite it anyways. This issue starting in 2013 and it worked as expected in 2011.

    I tried to fight it but I gave up because it was taking up to much of my time. the MS engineer told me that there was a product suggestion on the connect site to get this changed and he said he was going to send me a link but I never heard back. They just closed the case on me instead.

    Has anyone else found a workaround for this?

    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:18 PM
  • I just opened a product change request to change this "By Design" feature Microsoft added

    https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/feedback/details/813236/case-resolution-gets-changed-to-resolve-case-in-crm-2013

    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hi,
    I am not sure of the below suggestion but please reply on this.
    Open a aspx page on invisible mode on the click of Case Resolve. Get the Resolution field value from the Case popup form and store it in any state objects.
    Update Incident entity with your values using crm services.
    Plugin tries to fetch native references and that is why it seems you are not getting the value.

    Many Thanks,

    VC Suresh Kumar

    Suresh Kumar VC

    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:09 AM