Memory requirements for Security Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the requirements for Security Essentials and see that 1GB is stated. I have 2 older systems that do not have 1 G but I will ask the obvious. Will I have to upgrade these systems to I G of mem or will the first general release of SE require less mem? I run XP on all 3 of my systems and am not a gamer so high mem requirements have not been an issue.

In addition, it is sad that MS has seen fit to discontinue OneCare, it is the first security system that contained no conflicts and bundled routine tasks together. The OneCare Circle feature has been great. I have read other posts and have seen MS responses but I have to say that for MS to push users toward new OS's (which might entail newer systems as well) in this economy seems rather calous to those of us who have been loyal to MS for many, many years.

Tom Fiorentino
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:44 PM

Answers

• The system requirements seem to pretty conservative. A few people in the MSE forums: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse have reported that they are running on systems with much less memory. You should be okay with less memory, though a scan may certainly take longer.
    The general release of MSE has already happened, by the way, so you can go ahead and give it a try on one or more of your systems. Of coruse, if you have an active OneCare subscription, there is no reason to switch right away.
    The Circle monitoring feature was liked by many, and it is not in MSE, as you noted. Since MSE does not require activation or registration, implementing a management feature like that into MSE would have made it more complex.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:54 PM