MS Money Stopped Working RRS feed

• Question

• Woe is me, I've been using MS Money 2002 for years and since 2009 on a Windows 7 laptop. All that time and no problems, but yesterday when I tried to open Money I get the message "Microsoft \Money has stopped working". No event log entries to point they way with what might have happened but an online search indicates this is a common occurrence. I'm in the UK and all my Money accounts are based in British Pounds GBP so Money Sunset won't work, or so I believe. Is anyone aware of a fix for the issue that has caused Money to stop working, or failing that a link to a download of a UK version of Sunset please? Many thanks for any help or advice.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:03 PM

All replies

• The equivalent of the Sunset version for the UK is the UK version of Money 2005.  The link to the download is in the 2nd sticky in this forum.  Make sure you get the UK version.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:20 PM
  • Before installing 2005, you might get 2002 working.

Keep a copy of your *.mny and *.mbf files on different media in case something fails or you accidently overwrite something.

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder
     to your Documents folder.  Open Money by right-clicking that copy of
    sample.mny and choose Open.  Did the file open and can you navigate around? If so, that means that the installation is probably OK. If it did not open, reinstall Money 2002.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466 regarding using salv.exe to try to make a level 2 repaired version of your file.

If that does not work, try File->Restore of your latest *.mbf backup file. It is best to browse to you documents folder and choose a new name for the restore file rather than using the remembered information.

If that does not give you a good file, the restore your second-newest backup file.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:06 PM
  • Thanks, I'll download and install Money 2005 tomorrow and post the result.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Money 2002 works with the same data file when installed on another computer. Trying to open sample.mny on the computer with the problem causes the same issue "Microsoft Money stopped working". I've read that other users have tried re-installations system restores without success. I think I'll try with 2005 but thanks for the suggestions anyway. 

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:32 PM
  • Reinstalling Money 2002 would have less of a learning curve if it works for you. But Money 2005 is not all that different.

Whatever you do, consider your backup strategy. Maybe have the scheduled backup onto a flash drive in case your hard drive crashes. Then keep a uniquely named copy of your most recent backup every couple weeks.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:45 PM