Ribbon License RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a software developer and I use Embarcadero C++ Builder XE to develop my applications. With my development suite, a Ribbon VCL control module has been installed. This module matches the MS Office 2007 User Interface Specification.
    According to this specification, if I want to deploy an application with these controls, I have to agree with the Microsoft License, but it seems that Ribbon Controls for MS Office 2007 it's a retired program.
    Can I use it to restile the interface of my software?
    I see that Microsoft has developed a new Ribbon controls Framework for Windows Vista/7 but it seems to be a different UI and I think that have a different license.

Regards

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Friday, January 31, 2014 11:15 AM not Office development
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Zio3D,

Yes, you can use it in your software without fees. Be aware that you cannot use the Ribbon UI controls in any application that competes with any of the Microsoft Office products.

Please take a look at the Licensing the 2007 Microsoft Office User Interface article which describes the licensing mechanism of the Ribbon UI. Also I have found a similar forum thread.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, January 31, 2014 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zio3D Monday, February 3, 2014 7:26 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• Hello Zio3D,

Yes, you can use it in your software without fees. Be aware that you cannot use the Ribbon UI controls in any application that competes with any of the Microsoft Office products.

Please take a look at the Licensing the 2007 Microsoft Office User Interface article which describes the licensing mechanism of the Ribbon UI. Also I have found a similar forum thread.

• Proposed as answer by Dave PatrickMVP Friday, January 31, 2014 3:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Zio3D Monday, February 3, 2014 7:26 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Hello Eugene,
    I thought it was so but now I have obtained the confirm :-)

Thanks for answer.

Monday, February 3, 2014 7:26 AM