WHS Remote Access - Firebox Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulty configuring my WHS for remote access. I have Verizon DSL (I am told they are not blocking ports 80 or 443) with Westell 6100 modem and WatchGuard Firebox Edge x20EW between the modem and WHS. Does anyone know how to configure ports 80, 443 and 4125 in the Firebox to allow remote access?
    Thanks, so much.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:36 PM

Answers

• I'm thinking that your problem is more in the modem config, rather than in the Firebox config.
    Reason:  that modem is actually a modem/router.

The best (read:  most reliable) course of action is to configure the modem to operate in Bridge mode.  This will reduce it to a simple modem, and allow your firewall appliance to actually do its job unimpeded.
    Instructions:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

The only problem that I see, after looking thru the product specs for your appliance, is that it lacks in a DHCP server.  Since putting the modem into Bridge mode will also disable its DHCP server, you'll need to set up something else on your LAN to handle that duty.
    Fortunately, there's an add-on for WHS to do that for you:  DHCP4WHS

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 2:54 AM