XP Home CD Key with XP Pro install. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on my in-laws computer and have run into a bit of a problem. Just finished cleaning virus and adware off it only to discover that I can't get any updates from the website. The issue of course is an invalid product key. They do however own a valid copy of XP Home with CD key. It appears though, that they have a copy of XP Pro installed on it. Last time they crashed their system, they tell me they had someone else reinstall their software. It looks like the guy installed a copy of XP Pro (not their Home copy) without a valid CD key. 

Question I have is... any way to use the CD key from their Home version in the current install of XP Pro. I would rather avoid reformatting and doing a complete reinstall of all their software. As I noted, I have their original Home CD and key. At the very least, is it possible to do a reinstall of Home and keep the rest of their installed software intact.

Thx in advance.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:28 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, you cannot use a Windows XP Home Edition product key with Windows XP Professsional.  In order to remove a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional and install a genuine version of Windows XP Home Edition, a "clean install" would be required.

Clean Install Windows XP:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

The alternatuve is to purchase a Windows XP Professional "full version" product key.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Ranron,

You can purchase the Windows XP Pro (WGA) kit online @ a significant reduced cost from the retail version. Also the other alternative is backing up all the files on the system and take the system back to where your parents had it repaired or request the facility to refund your parents. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Jorge,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the OGA Forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:09 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, you cannot use a Windows XP Home Edition product key with Windows XP Professsional.  In order to remove a non-genuine version of Windows XP Professional and install a genuine version of Windows XP Home Edition, a "clean install" would be required.

Clean Install Windows XP:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

The alternatuve is to purchase a Windows XP Professional "full version" product key.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Ranron,

You can purchase the Windows XP Pro (WGA) kit online @ a significant reduced cost from the retail version. Also the other alternative is backing up all the files on the system and take the system back to where your parents had it repaired or request the facility to refund your parents. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:31 PM
  • NO ACEPTA LA LICENSIA Y NO PUEDO ACTIVARLO EN INTERNET PORQUE TENGO INTERNET DE BADA ANCHA, Y EL PROBLEMA QUE NO ABLO INGLES,

NO TO SPEAK ENGLISH, NO MUCH

I am speak espanis is my problem no speak english

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Jorge,

Unfortunately, the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) support forum is able to provide support in English only.  Please open the following URL:  http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx .  This website will help make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your location, select your region setting from the list below and then click the arrow button. Next search the page and locate the service which you require. Have a great day and thank you for visiting the OGA Forum.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:09 PM