none
Which Is the Forum for Reporting Product Defects? RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft has many policies none of which I can find published anywhere.  They may be constructed as and when necessary to protect the corporate interest.  I am willing to follow the protocols as long as I know what they are.  Microsoft is extremely afraid of describing what its products and services offer and how to avail one's self of them.  This is probably the result of advice from Microsoft's hundreds of lawyers who probably advise Microsoft to promise nothing and to deliver less.  Just collect the money.   This is in violation of the "Customer is always right." principle that in years past guided business behavior in America.  This is not my first rodeo.  I have written correct, usable, production operating system code for the U.S. Army and Sperry Rand Corporation.   Being old does not make me stupid.  I understand the standing order to be nice to Microsoft because Microsoft is doing the best it can under difficult circumstances.  After all, there are billions of lines of code in Windows which are barely understood by the new hires and those who are now elevated to executive positions have forgotten how Windows got to be the unwieldy product that it has become.  Lots of functionality.  Little effort at teaching how to use it.  The only people who interest Microsoft are corporate buyers of Windows who demand some stab or poke at "certifying" people as competent Windows deployment people.  Which in itself is a lie.  You may pass the exam but you do not possess the deep knowledge necessary to solve every problem.  Nobody does.   I am now informed by an unnamed MVP that this is not the place to lodge complaints.  I believe there is no place to lodge complaints.  Change my mind if you can.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Sunday, October 6, 2019 7:40 PM

Answers

• We are not Microsoft, but volunteer our time and support here in technical forums. If you needed a response from Microsoft you'll need to call them.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by F7H2fw Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:37 PM
    Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:25 PM
  • Good day MArk,

You got the answer to your question "Which Is the Forum for Reporting Product Defects?" above. Please close the thread by marking the answer(s) and cutoff the complains here, as you already got a direct link to where you can raise you complains. This is a community forum and if you have anymore questions for the community then you are welcome to post, and people will try to help you.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:30 PM
  • It depends on the product. As an example for windows server you can report feedback over here on uservoice but note that this is a one-way communication.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

If you needed to talk to product support then you can start a case here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 7:45 PM
  • Another place for feedback and comments on products is GitHub.

https://github.com/Microsoft

For example, here is the result when I search on "Server" in the box labeled "Find a repository".

https://github.com/Microsoft?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=server&type=&language=

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by pituachMVP, Moderator Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:46 PM
    Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Thank you Dave Patrick.  As usual the response from Microsoft is quite inadequate.  I think I know why Microsoft is unable and unwilling to fix product defects.  But I will not share my thoughts here.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Yes.  I know about the MVP program.  I have been solicited to participate as an unpaid volunteer in the program and champion of/cheerleader for Microsoft.  I declined.  You follow Microsoft policy or risk losing your benefits.  What I have wanted from Microsoft for 20 years and have yet to receive is a crystal clear statement of their policies and programs.  They refuse to provide them.  Fifty years ago I had no degree.  Then I earned one.    I am a talented software developer.  Developers used to be valuable under Ballmer.  But no  more.  The big new thing is The Cloud.  As Microsoft says, "Just leave it to us."  And then, what?   My clients do not trust putting their sensitive data into far off corporate hands.

Regards,

Nameless Faceless Revenue Source

MARK D ROCKMAN

Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:41 PM
  • No, its not really like that, but back on topic; to provide feedback I'd try the various uservoice, GitHub, or feedback hub options. If you needed a two-way dialog then I think at least the first step to start that is a phone call to microsoft product support.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:15 PM
  • No.  It's not really like that.  But back on topic.   It really bothers you that I keep leaving the topic.  But that is the topic to me.  Microsoft has provided little real support in the many times I have dialed Microsoft Product Support with their long recording regaling me with their $495 charge to answer a question that should have already been answered.   Microsoft does NOT care about reports of product defects.  They regard reports from the field to be the ravings of the unwashed masses.   I could spend a very productive afternoon in a sit down with somebody with real authority at Microsoft so that we could understand each other.  If I did not care about MY INDUSTRY then I would not spend another moment trying to get Microsoft to represent the best of Computer Science instead of the best of Money Extraction.   I don't know what you get out of the MVP program other than kudos from the kiddos running Microsoft as you try to protect them.  I can only conclude that the game they play is fun for them because as real insiders they get to know what in world is going on with the programs and policies of Microsoft and the enjoyment they must get out of watching customers struggle to extract benefit from the cash they pay Microsoft to use the programs and policies.  Nobody at Microsoft ever bothers to explain anything.   That's their overriding policy.   So I am the crazy one?   Not after 20 years of trying.   Not after earning my MCP and my Computer Science degree.  So you go on protecting people who don't deserve protecting.  One final note.   The top dogs at Microsoft enjoy the benefits of employment at Microsoft because the Windows ecosystem is a monopoly that becomes more and more entrenched at every business in the world.  Linux is no real alternative.  Point and click and Office.  Every computer illiterate receptionist is able to figure out how to use Windows.  But don't ask her to add an environment variable.  She'll never figure out how to do that.  Training in Microsoft technology?  Where is the product description for that?  Or does that explanation come from your trained Microsoft sales representative?  I don't have one.  No product descriptions.   No operating instructions.   Lousy user interfaces.  That's Microsoft.  It pokes a hole in your understanding of the company.  But it is the truth.  Have a happy day.  Your call is important to us.  This call is being recorded for quality assurance and training purposes.  All of our representatives are busy helping other customers.  Blah blah blah.  It's a rip off.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:47 AM
  • I'd suggest using the various uservoice channels to provide your feedback.

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Very brave of you.  Is the shredder right under the uservoice device?  Bet it is.  Have a happy day.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:48 AM
  • Right.  Got it.  The non-existent training I received to tell the difference between one Microsoft Forum and the next Microsoft Forum escaped me.   It annoys you that I don't behave as you expect me to behave.  I cancel my FORUM accounts and refuse to interact with rude people like Ronen Ariely.  Bye bye!  I fade off into the mist of time.   Microsoft has management?  How can you tell?  Do not call me.  I will call you.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:37 PM

All replies

• It depends on the product. As an example for windows server you can report feedback over here on uservoice but note that this is a one-way communication.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback

If you needed to talk to product support then you can start a case here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Sunday, October 6, 2019 7:45 PM
  • Another place for feedback and comments on products is GitHub.

https://github.com/Microsoft

For example, here is the result when I search on "Server" in the box labeled "Find a repository".

https://github.com/Microsoft?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=server&type=&language=

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by pituachMVP, Moderator Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:46 PM
    Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Thank you Dave Patrick.  As usual the response from Microsoft is quite inadequate.  I think I know why Microsoft is unable and unwilling to fix product defects.  But I will not share my thoughts here.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:22 PM
  • We are not Microsoft, but volunteer our time and support here in technical forums. If you needed a response from Microsoft you'll need to call them.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:25 PM
  • Yes.  I know about the MVP program.  I have been solicited to participate as an unpaid volunteer in the program and champion of/cheerleader for Microsoft.  I declined.  You follow Microsoft policy or risk losing your benefits.  What I have wanted from Microsoft for 20 years and have yet to receive is a crystal clear statement of their policies and programs.  They refuse to provide them.  Fifty years ago I had no degree.  Then I earned one.    I am a talented software developer.  Developers used to be valuable under Ballmer.  But no  more.  The big new thing is The Cloud.  As Microsoft says, "Just leave it to us."  And then, what?   My clients do not trust putting their sensitive data into far off corporate hands.

Regards,

Nameless Faceless Revenue Source

MARK D ROCKMAN

Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:41 PM
  • No, its not really like that, but back on topic; to provide feedback I'd try the various uservoice, GitHub, or feedback hub options. If you needed a two-way dialog then I think at least the first step to start that is a phone call to microsoft product support.

Sunday, October 6, 2019 11:15 PM
  • No.  It's not really like that.  But back on topic.   It really bothers you that I keep leaving the topic.  But that is the topic to me.  Microsoft has provided little real support in the many times I have dialed Microsoft Product Support with their long recording regaling me with their $495 charge to answer a question that should have already been answered.   Microsoft does NOT care about reports of product defects.  They regard reports from the field to be the ravings of the unwashed masses.   I could spend a very productive afternoon in a sit down with somebody with real authority at Microsoft so that we could understand each other.  If I did not care about MY INDUSTRY then I would not spend another moment trying to get Microsoft to represent the best of Computer Science instead of the best of Money Extraction.   I don't know what you get out of the MVP program other than kudos from the kiddos running Microsoft as you try to protect them.  I can only conclude that the game they play is fun for them because as real insiders they get to know what in world is going on with the programs and policies of Microsoft and the enjoyment they must get out of watching customers struggle to extract benefit from the cash they pay Microsoft to use the programs and policies.  Nobody at Microsoft ever bothers to explain anything.   That's their overriding policy.   So I am the crazy one?   Not after 20 years of trying.   Not after earning my MCP and my Computer Science degree.  So you go on protecting people who don't deserve protecting.  One final note.   The top dogs at Microsoft enjoy the benefits of employment at Microsoft because the Windows ecosystem is a monopoly that becomes more and more entrenched at every business in the world.  Linux is no real alternative.  Point and click and Office.  Every computer illiterate receptionist is able to figure out how to use Windows.  But don't ask her to add an environment variable.  She'll never figure out how to do that.  Training in Microsoft technology?  Where is the product description for that?  Or does that explanation come from your trained Microsoft sales representative?  I don't have one.  No product descriptions.   No operating instructions.   Lousy user interfaces.  That's Microsoft.  It pokes a hole in your understanding of the company.  But it is the truth.  Have a happy day.  Your call is important to us.  This call is being recorded for quality assurance and training purposes.  All of our representatives are busy helping other customers.  Blah blah blah.  It's a rip off.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:47 AM
  • I'd suggest using the various uservoice channels to provide your feedback.

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:59 AM
  • Very brave of you.  Is the shredder right under the uservoice device?  Bet it is.  Have a happy day.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, October 7, 2019 3:48 AM
  • Good day MArk,

You got the answer to your question "Which Is the Forum for Reporting Product Defects?" above. Please close the thread by marking the answer(s) and cutoff the complains here, as you already got a direct link to where you can raise you complains. This is a community forum and if you have anymore questions for the community then you are welcome to post, and people will try to help you.

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 7:30 PM
  • Right.  Got it.  The non-existent training I received to tell the difference between one Microsoft Forum and the next Microsoft Forum escaped me.   It annoys you that I don't behave as you expect me to behave.  I cancel my FORUM accounts and refuse to interact with rude people like Ronen Ariely.  Bye bye!  I fade off into the mist of time.   Microsoft has management?  How can you tell?  Do not call me.  I will call you.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:37 PM