Tombstones and what issues if I copied stuff to places.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have just found this forum and read a thread on never copying to the D:\shares folder directly, well, darn, I have...

I just spent the weekend consolidating all photos, music, videos, documents, etc to the WHS and I would guess about half the time I would use the D:\shares link and the other half through the network share.  I gather, now, that the correct way to do this was only through the network shares shortcut, but what, if any, problems will be incurred because I used the D:\ link?

Should I start moving things, or leave them as is?  I just do not want to do this all over, nor do I want to loose the data that I have finally managed to collect in one place.

Any help or advice would be great.

Michael
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

• I expect you will have no problems. To check:

1. On your homeserver desktop open windows explorer
    2. Try and locate the files you copied to D:\shares\.... in one of the following folders:
      a. D:\DE\shares\....
      b. C:\fs\X\DE\shares (X represents a drive letter for each data drive in your WHS)
    3a. If you can locate the files in one (or two if you have duplication turned on) of these folders you are OK
    3b. If not,  you can enable / disable duplication for one share or reboot your server, then check again after one day.

• Marked as answer by Mikiejag Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:50 PM
    Monday, May 4, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I have just found this forum and read a thread on never copying to the D:\shares folder directly, well, darn, I have...

I just spent the weekend consolidating all photos, music, videos, documents, etc to the WHS and I would guess about half the time I would use the D:\shares link and the other half through the network share.  I gather, now, that the correct way to do this was only through the network shares shortcut, but what, if any, problems will be incurred because I used the D:\ link?

Should I start moving things, or leave them as is?  I just do not want to do this all over, nor do I want to loose the data that I have finally managed to collect in one place.

Michael

I tested that scenario a while ago.  Any file I moved through D:\shares was unavailable through media streaming to an XBox 360 (it gave some codec error, but if I moved the file the right way, it worked fine).  (Also, I tried some PC stuff with those files as well and it appeared to be ok through there, but I didn't try every possible scenario.)

Frankly, if it was me, I would go back and do it the right way.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:07 AM

All replies

• I expect you will have no problems. To check:

1. On your homeserver desktop open windows explorer
    2. Try and locate the files you copied to D:\shares\.... in one of the following folders:
      a. D:\DE\shares\....
      b. C:\fs\X\DE\shares (X represents a drive letter for each data drive in your WHS)
    3a. If you can locate the files in one (or two if you have duplication turned on) of these folders you are OK
    3b. If not,  you can enable / disable duplication for one share or reboot your server, then check again after one day.

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:18 PM

Michael

I tested that scenario a while ago.  Any file I moved through D:\shares was unavailable through media streaming to an XBox 360 (it gave some codec error, but if I moved the file the right way, it worked fine).  (Also, I tried some PC stuff with those files as well and it appeared to be ok through there, but I didn't try every possible scenario.)

Frankly, if it was me, I would go back and do it the right way.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, but I did a reinstall to go eval to retail and it skipped the step for reinstall and just did a new install with all the pools attached.

Sad, sad day...But at least most was recovered from the various other drives and I will copy the network share in the future.
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:50 PM