Webhosting with access to WHS features... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. 
    Currently I have a domain jspafford.org directed to my home IP address which routes it to the WHS. 

What I want to do is run my website from the whs, and when I type in jspafford.org it takes me to the index page of my site...but I still want to be able to type in jspafford.homeserver.com and have it take me to the remote login of the WHS.  Is this possible?  If so what folders do I need to add where to make it happen!

Thanks!
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:18 PM dev question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:14 PM

All replies

• It's possible to do what you want. You would use "host headers" to allow IIS on your server to serve up a different site for the alternate URL. This is, of course, unsupported, but see e.g. this support article (which is old, but the basic concepts are still valid). :)

(I'm moving this to the dev forum, where it will likely get more love.) 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:18 PM
  • So right now I have two websites listed in IIS.  WHS and Default Website.  When I log in remotely which one is it using? 

Which one do I need to edit?  Also I cannot seem to get the black server page to come up with all the remote options on it.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I ask these questions because I've only had it a week and somehow monday night I edited something in IIS and lost all websites and remote connectivity.

I don't want to corrupt my server again.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Both sites are used, though for different purposes. You shouldn't have to edit either one; you would set up an additional site and set it to use your purchased custom domain in the host header configuration. Then IIS would sort things out appropriately.

However, unless you have a good bit of familiarity with configuring and administering IIS, I would not recommend you go down this path. There is too much potential for messing you your server again. Instead, hook up with an inexpensive hosting provider and host your personal web site there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:29 PM
  • I have one now... I figure if I have a server, and its online 24/7, I minds well save $50 a year and host it myself.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:35 PM