"double NAT" RRS feed

• Question

• Gents,

The side of the WHS retail box says, "access your files from anywhere".
    I need to do just that.
    I do not need to learn about NAT, double NAT, bridge mode, UPnP, port forwarding........to "access my files from anywhere".

I have an Arris 602 Docsis 2 cable modem driving a WHS UPnP approved Dlink DGL-4500 wireless router.
    Everything works "as advertised" with the exception of the single feature I need, remote access.
    The cable modem has integrated VOIP, so it does NAT.
    The cable company will not/cannot provision the modem as a bridge.
    My cable company does not block ports.
    The modem is not user configurable what so ever.
    Apparently "Double NAT" is causing my problem.

I do not need or want a comp sci lesson.
    Can you simply tell me, step by step, what to do to make this thing Remote Access.

Thank you

Saturday, December 12, 2009 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    maybe you should try getting a supported router and replace what you got (although that router looks great). I have no experience with cable modems, so maybe I am wrong and such integrated hardware for this kind of connection does not exist.
    Or if you don't want to learn about the configuration of your specific hardware, get somebody you know who has some better than basic computer knowledge and arranges port forwarding for the ports 80, 443 and 4125 from the modem to the external port of the router and from the router to the servers IP address.

This also depends from the configuration capabilities of the modem.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Can you simply tell me, step by step, what to do to make this thing Remote Access.
    Hire somebody local.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Gents,

The side of the WHS retail box says, "access your files from anywhere".
    I need to do just that.
    I do not need to learn about NAT, double NAT, bridge mode, UPnP, port forwarding........to "access my files from anywhere".

I have an Arris 602 Docsis 2 cable modem driving a WHS UPnP approved Dlink DGL-4500 wireless router.
    Everything works "as advertised" with the exception of the single feature I need, remote access.
    The cable modem has integrated VOIP, so it does NAT.
    The cable company will not/cannot provision the modem as a bridge.
    My cable company does not block ports.
    The modem is not user configurable what so ever.
    Apparently "Double NAT" is causing my problem.

I do not need or want a comp sci lesson.
    Can you simply tell me, step by step, what to do to make this thing Remote Access.

Thank you

rdvc,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing these problems.

One thing to try might be the steps on page 17 of the D-Link DGL-4500 router manual ("Connect to Another Router"):
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dgl4500/Manual/dgl4500_manual_150.zip

Let us know if this works.  We'll do everything we can to help you get up-and-running.

Thanks
    - Adam
    Monday, December 14, 2009 2:00 AM