activate problem with hive restore RRS feed

• Question

• Granddaughters machine crashed. No log in to normal widows or any safe mode. Can not find their copy of XP.
    Have a genuine copy of XP Home that I am not using. Won't repair but can reload fresh copy of windows. now it boots.
    Go to repair console load a backup registry ( system, sam, software, security, default ) re-boot system old login icons appear
    go to sign in says need to activate windows. Okay click activate gets a invalid memory error at 0x00000000. can't get around this will also now not boot in safe mode.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:28 PM

Answers

• Hello ibm1401,

This is a forum whose stated purpose is to address issues that users might be having that are related to WGA.

Your issue is clearly not WGA-related, so any discussion of fixes for your problem would be off topic, and there are other help forums where the expertise of the participants regarding registry repair is far superior to that available here.  May I respectfully suggest that you seek out such a forum to solicit additonal assistance for your current problem?

I do have some friendly advice:

1.  ERUNT is a nice little registry backup program.
    2.  Image-based backup programs (Acronis True-Image, Noton Ghost, the free DriveImageXML) combined with an external hard disk drive are very effective backup tools.
    3.  Do some hardware tests.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:10 AM

All replies

• Granddaughters machine crashed. No log in to normal widows or any safe mode. Can not find their copy of XP.
    Have a genuine copy of XP Home that I am not using. Won't repair but can reload fresh copy of windows. now it boots.
    Go to repair console load a backup registry ( system, sam, software, security, default ) re-boot system old login icons appear
    go to sign in says need to activate windows. Okay click activate gets a invalid memory error at 0x00000000. can't get around this will also now not boot in safe mode.

Now we will try to re-partion the drive and attempt migration from old to new.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Hello ibm1401,

Using the backup registry is a technique for getting installation of Windows with a damaged registry to start so that you can pull off valuable data.  The process was never intended to be a way to replace a damaged registry.  Sort of like the space-saver "donut" spare tire---just enough to get you to a service station or tire store, not intended for you to drive 1,000 miles on it.

Now that the computer is up and running, backup and offload the data and then do a clean installation.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:05 AM
  • It takes genius to create an operating system that when it doesn't work it takes every bit of software along with it.
    The registry is a disaster and they kept it in vista and they are keeping it in windows 7 time to switch to linux or mac.
    Irritating when you can se the programs and they won't run because of the stupid registry.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:20 AM
  • It takes genius to create an operating system that when it doesn't work it takes every bit of software along with it.
    The registry is a disaster and they kept it in vista and they are keeping it in windows 7 time to switch to linux or mac.
    Irritating when you can se the programs and they won't run because of the stupid registry.

Dan at IT,

I appreciate the reply, but that is not really a fix. I could have reloaded the entire operating system and reloaded all of the programs, users etc. Not the first time. My desktop crashed this weekend also, winlogon.exe called ????/ cntcdl.dll and said it was not an image file Bye Bye crash. Got back most of the system by doing the above . Do you know how many programs I had to re-install from scratch??? Which brings us to problem number two - reinstalling software leaves all kinds of duplicate keys in the registry that will cause problems down the road plus slow the system. Uninstall doesn't do the job?? A microsoft engineer friend of mine told me once Microsoft calls these leftover entries "tu__s", what he failed to see is that the operating system should not have allowed the min the first place. If I sound fustrated it has been three days now trying to work around the road blocks microsoft has put int he road. A clue the user name ibm 1401 refers to the first computer I programmed in assembler in 1965.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Hello ibm1401,

This is a forum whose stated purpose is to address issues that users might be having that are related to WGA.

Your issue is clearly not WGA-related, so any discussion of fixes for your problem would be off topic, and there are other help forums where the expertise of the participants regarding registry repair is far superior to that available here.  May I respectfully suggest that you seek out such a forum to solicit additonal assistance for your current problem?

I do have some friendly advice:

1.  ERUNT is a nice little registry backup program.
    2.  Image-based backup programs (Acronis True-Image, Noton Ghost, the free DriveImageXML) combined with an external hard disk drive are very effective backup tools.
    3.  Do some hardware tests.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:10 AM