What can i do? What can you do? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I bought a computer from a store last year and just last month i started getting pop ups saying that my Microsoft windows was not genuine. So i went back to the place where i bought it and reported the issue they refused to give me a genuine copy... Is there anything you can do to them for selling counterfeit serial numbers and software? I'm here in the  Philippines and i know that counterfeits are everywhere but im pretty sure that if you own a real computer business it is illegal to sell counterfeit software. So if  possible  i would like to report this business for selling counterfeit licensed  Microsoft windows and ask that something be done. Thank You,
    Mikheil Evangelista

    Infomate's Info
    G/F Amari Bldg.
    Noblefranca St.
    Dumaguete City
    Telephone # +63 (35) 225-4715


    Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:00 AM


  • Miki,

    If you still have the nongenuine XP installed, please follow these steps for assistance:

    Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

    Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

    1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

    2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

    3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

    4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

    Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx


    You can file a report with Microsoft regarding the business here:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx


    And personally I would encourage you to inquire of the police and civil authorities in your locale about what they can do about the suspected piracy.

    Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:14 PM