none
Critical Softwrap Error

Question

• Every time I start my computer I get a message box that says, "Critical Softwrap Error Softwrap file error1".   Does anyone know what this means and do I need to worry about it?
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:48 PM

Answers

• Softwrap is anti-pirating (software) related. Do you use P2P file sharing?
    It looks like you have some pirated software on your PC. Remove any suspicious third-party software that you installed before the error message began appearing.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:41 AM
  •  It may be difficult knowing what was installed if you have so many people using your PC.

What it seems to me is that there was some software once installed which uses the Softwrap anti-piracy DRM. This software was installed and set to startup when booting.

When the software was removed, it was not correctly removed so it still has the boot info to start the software but the files are missing.

What I would recommend is to go to your START command and insert msconfig and press enter. A box should appear for System Configurations.

Go to the Startup tab

Look through your startup items and untick all the applications you either don't recognise as required by Windows or your Anti-virus. Untick all software that you don't need to load into memory during startup. This could include MS Office, iTunes, Adobe etc. This will also help speed up your computer's boot time.

Just ensure you leave the ones that seem important to a PC. If you are not sure, ask someone to help or list the ones you have.

You will then need to reboot your PC and it should solve this issue.

Good luck.
    • Proposed as answer by Razor_Rich Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:05 PM

All replies

• Softwrap is anti-pirating (software) related. Do you use P2P file sharing?
    It looks like you have some pirated software on your PC. Remove any suspicious third-party software that you installed before the error message began appearing.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I am clueless as how to figure out if I have pirated 'anything' on my computer but with 5 kids, 5 Zunes, and something called LimeWire...I am sure something is up!  I get this message as well as slow start-up and performance...and I can forget about quick Internet access these days!

Any ideas for a safe way to check this out and get back on track?

Thanks!

Annamarie

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Download and run Ad-Aware 2007 Free: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  It may be difficult knowing what was installed if you have so many people using your PC.

What it seems to me is that there was some software once installed which uses the Softwrap anti-piracy DRM. This software was installed and set to startup when booting.

When the software was removed, it was not correctly removed so it still has the boot info to start the software but the files are missing.

What I would recommend is to go to your START command and insert msconfig and press enter. A box should appear for System Configurations.

Go to the Startup tab

Look through your startup items and untick all the applications you either don't recognise as required by Windows or your Anti-virus. Untick all software that you don't need to load into memory during startup. This could include MS Office, iTunes, Adobe etc. This will also help speed up your computer's boot time.

Just ensure you leave the ones that seem important to a PC. If you are not sure, ask someone to help or list the ones you have.

You will then need to reboot your PC and it should solve this issue.

Good luck.
    • Proposed as answer by Razor_Rich Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:37 PM
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:05 PM