Primary drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. I have had my primary drive fail, the infamous Seagate clicking symptom. I could not recover any data from it. I have had it replaced by Seagate under warranty, it is a 1.5TB drive. I had some of my shares with duplication enabled and some of the shares not duplicated due to space limitations, at-risk, I know. My WHS is a home brew with 7 drives, a mix of 2TB and 1.5 TB. My question is this; I know during a software restore my shares on the 6 data drives will remain intact, but does this mean the no-duplicated as well as the duplicated shares will be OK? I had all of my irreplaceable data duped, like photos and taxes etc. I had my replaceable items like movies, music etc un-duped. I will be adding another 2TB drive after the restore to have everything duped, hindsight I know.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• Data in any share which was not duplicated is at risk. See this FAQ for more on risks in your situation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:32 PM
  • Hi Ken, Thanks for your reply. If some of these non-duplicated files are on my data drives, will the system recreate the tombstones for these files? I do know that some were on my failed system drive, and those are gone. I guess what I am trying to ask is, Will the restore of WHS software treat these remaining unduped files any differently than the duplicated files that it finds on these drives? I would rather not have the project of searching each drive using another PC to get these files back on the server if the WHS restore will do this for me.  I'm sorry for the long response, I have done a restore once a couple of years ago when all my file were duplicated and all went fine. I'm just not sure about the unduplicated files that remain on my drives. WHS won't just erase them or ignore them if they are not duplicated will it? Thanks for your patience!
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:35 PM
  • One question, If I do a software restore on my new system drive I understand that my duplicated shares will be reinstalled. What about unduplicated shares? Will they all be erased or will they be reinstalled also?
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem …

This one has me stumped, I have a DIY 8.5TB WHS that I have been running pretty much from day one, yesterday the system drive died.  So I placed a new SATA drive in and left all the drives attached and was able to do a Server Reinstall with Power Pack 1, then I did Power Pack 2 and moved on to Power Pack 3 then did all the remaining updates, all my data is duplicated.  Here’s the problem, My Server Storage says I have Total Size = 8.64 TB, Free Space = 1.33 TB, Shared Folders 57MB, Duplication 57 MB, PC Backups 4 KB, System 7.3 TB, Free Space 1.3 TB.  By clicking on the Shared Folders on Server all my shares are there but they are all empty.  If I browse to C:\fs I see the drives and my data within the DE hidden folders.  Not really worry that I can’t get to my data what I’m wondering is how should I get my data back into their respective shares?  I know I can probably copy the data from C:\fs\<drive>\DE\Shares to lets say \\<serverName>\Music as an example but is this the correct way?

On another note, I see that demigrator.exe is running a lot (50% of CPU cycles), could it be trying to rebuild the tombstones?  or should have it completed by the time the installation finished?

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Did you have your WHS updated to date? If so, and if you have 2 or more storage pool drives (3 or more total) and you were not running out of space on those drive you should not lose any files when you reinstall WHS. The D partition on the first drive holds only tombstones. Your files, duplicated ot non-duplicated should all reside on the drives in the storage pool.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 5:09 PM