Access Denied error RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

So I got WHS for Xmas and I set it all up with no problems.

The install went smoothly and I transferred all my photos and Zune music across to the new shares.

I created a login account and got the Connector running on Vista X64 without any issues.

I made sure my login had Full Access to all folders and the folders were alos set to full access. 

I set up the remote access for that account and again everything was running fine. 

I then connected my Xbox 360 and was able to stream music and photos to my tv.

Everything was perfect - easiest setup ever!

Now when some friend came by I wanted to show them how great WHS was and tried to access my music again through the 360. It wouldn't connect and just hung for a long time looking for the files.

I went back to my PC to see if something was wrong  with the server. I could connect to the server through the connector but I was unable to access any folder and kept getting the error - Access denied.

I can log onto the server directly and have full acess and all the data is still there but anything else gets access denied. Even the remote login is failing saying it is an incorrect username/password.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:00 AM

All replies

•  Knyghtblade wrote:
    Hi all,

So I got WHS for Xmas and I set it all up with no problems.

The install went smoothly and I transferred all my photos and Zune music across to the new shares.

I created a login account and got the Connector running on Vista X64 without any issues.

That's not possible.  There is no version of connector for 64-bit systems.  You may have been able to somewhat "bypass" it, but it will not function correctly (most notably, your client PC will not be backed up to the server).

Knyghtblade wrote:
    I made sure my login had Full Access to all folders and the folders were alos set to full access. 

I set up the remote access for that account and again everything was running fine. 

I then connected my Xbox 360 and was able to stream music and photos to my tv.

Everything was perfect - easiest setup ever!

Now when some friend came by I wanted to show them how great WHS was and tried to access my music again through the 360. It wouldn't connect and just hung for a long time looking for the files.

I went back to my PC to see if something was wrong  with the server. I could connect to the server through the connector but I was unable to access any folder and kept getting the error - Access denied.

I can log onto the server directly and have full acess and all the data is still there but anything else gets access denied. Even the remote login is failing saying it is an incorrect username/password.

Anyone got any ideas?

I would start by rebooting both server and client to see if that works.  If not, please verify that the user account you created on WHS is still there (and same permissions).

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:33 AM
  • OK so I wasn't 100% clear - I got the connector running on a Vista x64 OS by using the workaround posted on the internet - I haven't tried to do a backup yet so I'll take your work for it that it doesn't work.

I tried rebooting several times - from complete cold boots to restarts. Nothing worked but I did finally fix the problem. I  worked out what the issue was with accessing the folders from the connector - I am not sure how or why this worked but it did.

I originally had a PC with a log in called Paul with no password. When I first used the connector to access the server it asked me to create a login for the server. So I created the same user name but gave it a strong password. This worked perfectly well until I hit the issues this afternoon. So I deleted the login and created a new login under the Vista user accounts with the same name and strong password. When I logged with this new login it said that server did not recognise paul_2. So I went to the server and changed the login name there to paul_2. I logged out and back in again and it asked me to syncronise the password on the PC the that on the server and now I have access to the folders again and remote access is once again available.

I am still not able to get the xbox 360 to see the files on the server however. It worked fine this morning but after applying an upgrade to the xbox dashboard issued by Xbox Live today I am not able to access the files anymore. 

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 5:50 AM