Restore CD doesn't have driver support for 3Com 3C920 RRS feed

• General discussion

• 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

When I boot the Restore CD to restore my XP system, the CD does not have built in support for this NIC.

It is a very common NIC and hopefully it will be included in the distribution.

Thanks,

Robert Hight

Friday, March 9, 2007 5:39 PM

All replies

• You might want to suggest this on Connect.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I have this same issue with this model NIC.  I found Robert's suggestion on Connect and voted for it.

The option pops up for saying to load the drivers if available via floppy, CD, or USB key.  I burned this NIC's drivers to the root of a CD but it could not find them when I hit OK.(Also it never asks where to search for the drivers.  Should this also be a bug/suggestion?) Is there a proper procedure to load drivers when it asks or is it not yet supported in this fashion?
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with a Compaq NC3122 NIC. I created a cd with the drivers but the restore could no find them. The activity light on the Driver CD doesn't even come on.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I recently installed a 3C905-TX NIC in one of my workstations and after the 1st WHS backup, loaded the drivers on to a floppy.  During the Restore Wizard from the CD-ROM, it loads the drivers (even though it doesn't notice a NIC) and then the restore wizard proceeds normally.  I had to do this because WHS would not load the drivers for the onboard NIC during restore.  I'm using the PP1 (Build 1800) CD-ROM.

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:01 AM
  • All the drivers for a Client restore, are stored in a folder in any of that client's backups named, surprisingly enough, Drivers .If these are copied to a floppy, or a USB stick, they can then be used during the restore.

Colin

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Colin,

Having working drivers to connect to the server from WindowsXP does NOT guarantee that the Win2003 drivers stored in the mentioned folder are going to work during a restore from the CD-ROM.  If interested, you can examine the recent thread "Restore CD can not find server".

Stepehn

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:51 PM