why is WHS telling me that i need to activate WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have 3 computers all running win 7 2 weeks ago i installed whs on one of them
    on the other 2 computers i used the whs connector wich i have no problems at all
    untill 3 days ago on (just 1 not the server) computer it keeps telling me that i need to activate the whs server
    in 10,9 days etc the server and the other computer says it expires in july
    so why is it that only 1 computer is telling me this
         Thanks David

Friday, January 15, 2010 7:48 AM

Answers

• Hi David,
    which version of Windows Home Server did you install?
    If a Trial version, it is limited to 30 days without a product key. Since product keys are not longer issued for those versions, this plays no longer a role.
    If you had a trial with product key, the installation has to be activated. In this case the trial is extended to 120 days.
    What you may see, is one time the underlying Windows Server 2003 and a second time the WHS specific code - which could have different time frames for a trial.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:11 PM
  • My suspicion is that the activation warning is accurate. If you installed the trial, which you downloaded from Microsoft, you have 30 days to evaluate it after which product activation will disable it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi David,
    which version of Windows Home Server did you install?
    If a Trial version, it is limited to 30 days without a product key. Since product keys are not longer issued for those versions, this plays no longer a role.
    If you had a trial with product key, the installation has to be activated. In this case the trial is extended to 120 days.
    What you may see, is one time the underlying Windows Server 2003 and a second time the WHS specific code - which could have different time frames for a trial.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:11 PM
  • My suspicion is that the activation warning is accurate. If you installed the trial, which you downloaded from Microsoft, you have 30 days to evaluate it after which product activation will disable it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:19 PM