Redirect WHS Share to another location RRS feed

• Question

• I see you can easily create a new share on Windows Home Server. I'm wondering if there is a way to redirect that share to another storage location on your home network.

I have all my photos, videos, and music stored on a 1TB network storage device. I didn't want to move all of them to Windows Home Server. I just want my Windows Home Server shares to point to the network storage device. Can that be done?
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:01 AM

Answers

• DustinT12 said:

I see you can easily create a new share on Windows Home Server. I'm wondering if there is a way to redirect that share to another storage location on your home network.

I have all my photos, videos, and music stored on a 1TB network storage device. I didn't want to move all of them to Windows Home Server. I just want my Windows Home Server shares to point to the network storage device. Can that be done?

No.

Monday, December 29, 2008 4:27 AM

All replies

• DustinT12 said:

I see you can easily create a new share on Windows Home Server. I'm wondering if there is a way to redirect that share to another storage location on your home network.

No.

Monday, December 29, 2008 4:27 AM
  • Hi,
    no, this cannot be done, since shares in Windows always refer to local locations (with the exception of Distributed File System shares, which also require a Windows Server OS on the other sharing device).
    Within the share you could create a shortcut pointing to the right location, but that's it.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 29, 2008 4:28 AM