locked
WHS Restore fails at 81% Can a backup be accessed directly from the server? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello All,

    I've accidentally formatted one of the data drives on a Vista 32 Ultimate PC and am trying to restore the drive from a backup on my home-built WHS PP1 server. The server has 2 500 Gb PATA drives in its pool.  I'm getting the error where the Restore goes to 81% and then stops, followed by the "Backup Service" is not running message. I've also gotten the same result when trying to restore other backups on other workstations that have been backed up by the server. If I try to restore using the latest CD ISO from MS, it finds the backup, finds the drive, trundles for a while and then fails with a "Network" error. I'm assuming that the root problem is the same.

    As I've got real data lost that I need to restore, I wonder if there is a method that might be available to access the backup DIRECTLY on the server (using RDP) so that I can copy the files off manually. It seems to me that the real problem is occuring when the server attempts to "hand-off" the backup to the workstation, but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated, I'm basically pulling my hair out at this point.

    Many thanks,

    Tom
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:47 PM

Answers

  • Tommyudo said:

    Also, here are some entries from Event Viewer: 

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(383)

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.



    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x3e6 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.0.dat: Invalid access to memory location.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.




    Thanks,

    Tom



    Hi Tom,

    Two prior conditions:

    Please be sure to make a copy of your registry prior to editing it:

    You will need to access the server via Remote Desktop (type mstsc.exe at the search box or run cmd and enter the administrator's password)

    1. Add the following registry key on your Windows Home Server
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup\RestorePrefetchThreshold = 0xFFFFFFFF
    2. Restart the server
    3. Attempt a Single File Restore
    4. Report result

    Once you've attemped the restore, you may want to delete this key.

    Thank you


    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:25 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi Tom,
    Tommyudo said:
    I wonder if there is a method that might be available to access the backup DIRECTLY on the server (using RDP) so that I can copy the files off manually. It seems to me that the real problem is occuring when the server attempts to "hand-off" the backup to the workstation, but I could be wrong.

    unfortunately there is currently no possibility, to access backups directly on the server.
    Did you already try using the console, double click the client, double click the backup you wish to restore, selected the drive and clicked open?
    This should (with some luck) mount the backup as a drive and allow you to copy files from here.
    If this also stucks at 81%, please issue a bug report on Connect, as described in this thread.

    You can also try to run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client, on which you formatted the disk and try to restore the volume from here. So you could exclude issues with drivers, which do not fit with the recovery environment.

    I also recommend to logon to the Windows Home Server and check the Event Log in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer for related error messages and warnings.

    Which version numbers does the console show in Settings/Resources?

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:03 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Olaf,

    The Connector Troubleshooter reports:

    Server Version: 6.0.1800.0
    Client Version: 6.0.1800.24

    Is this OK or is it a mismatch?

    I will try the other things you recommended as well.

    Thanks so much!

    Tom
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:57 AM
  • Also, here are some entries from Event Viewer: 

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(383)

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.



    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x3e6 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.0.dat: Invalid access to memory location.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.




    Thanks,

    Tom

    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Hi Tom,
    seems, there is something wrong in your server.
    If you have enough space on an external disk, you can make a copy of the backup database by logging in to the server and performing following steps before trying things, which may also give the database the final kick instead of recover it:
    net stop PDL
    net stop WHSBackup
    xcopy D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} e:\WHSBackupCopy
    (assuming your external drive has letter E:)
    net start WHSBackup
    net start PDL

    After that run chkdsk against each disk on the server as outlined in this FAQ (which may take a longer time). This should correct eventual file system errors causing reading issues.
    If this still does not help, try the Repair button in Settings/Backup. (Be aware, if the database has serious damages, this will not help to regain access to the backups.)
    Best greetings from Germany and good luck
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:08 AM
    Moderator
  • Tommyudo said:

    Also, here are some entries from Event Viewer: 

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp1\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(383)

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.



    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  1/19/2009
    Time:  9:06:00 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HEAVO
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x3e6 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.0.dat: Invalid access to memory location.

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.




    Thanks,

    Tom



    Hi Tom,

    Two prior conditions:

    Please be sure to make a copy of your registry prior to editing it:

    You will need to access the server via Remote Desktop (type mstsc.exe at the search box or run cmd and enter the administrator's password)

    1. Add the following registry key on your Windows Home Server
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Backup\RestorePrefetchThreshold = 0xFFFFFFFF
    2. Restart the server
    3. Attempt a Single File Restore
    4. Report result

    Once you've attemped the restore, you may want to delete this key.

    Thank you


    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, January 23, 2009 9:25 PM
    Moderator
  • Lara,

    Are you suggesting this registry change and attempted single file restore to be done completely before the backup file copy and chkdsk that Olaf suggests.

    I have exactly the error entries in my event viewer as Tom does.  I have gotten these errors AFTER the Feb 24th WHS patch and connector update.

    So bottom line, the restore stuck at 81% and cannot connect to backup service error is still happening after the KB961030 update.

    Sam
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Lara,

    Just completed the steps in your post.

    The restoration of a single file from a backup failed exactly the same way, that is, it proceeded as expected up to the 81% point and then failed with the error message that it could not connect to the back up service.  There is a difference however, the event viewer on the server has no error messages, but instead indicates that the restore was completed successfully.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Sam
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Sam A. said:

    Lara,

    Just completed the steps in your post.

    The restoration of a single file from a backup failed exactly the same way, that is, it proceeded as expected up to the 81% point and then failed with the error message that it could not connect to the back up service.  There is a difference however, the event viewer on the server has no error messages, but instead indicates that the restore was completed successfully.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Sam



    Hi Sam,

    If SFR is failing after the Feb update, please file a bug on Connect. We will need to have you do additional logging as the CABs currently being gathered do not tell us enough. Once you file the bug, we will provide you with these steps.

    Thanks.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:19 PM
    Moderator
  • I started having this 81% problem yesterday. Of course I need my backup to restore a PC. When using the restore disc I get an error. When I go into the WHS console from VISTA 32, Vista 64 and WinXp PCs it stops at 81% when trying to access those backed up drives.
    My MSS WHS is doing it's daily backups and shows no problems. The last time I used this feature was late last year and I had zero problems restroing the PC from a BAckup.

    Is there a fix for this or am I screwed?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:13 PM
  • aaronwt said:

    I started having this 81% problem yesterday. Of course I need my backup to restore a PC. When using the restore disc I get an error. When I go into the WHS console from VISTA 32, Vista 64 and WinXp PCs it stops at 81% when trying to access those backed up drives.
    My MSS WHS is doing it's daily backups and shows no problems. The last time I used this feature was late last year and I had zero problems restroing the PC from a BAckup.

    Is there a fix for this or am I screwed?


    Hi,

    Do you have the February QFE? Can you post the build numbers in your Windows Home Server Console (settings>resources)?
     
    If you have the February QFE installed and you cannot do a single file restore, please submit a bug on Connect with client and server CABs, we need to look at your logs in order to determine what is happening with your particular server and clients.  The 81% bug does not have just one root cause.

    Thank you



    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:33 PM
    Moderator
  • I'll have to look at it when I get home tonight and then I'll post the build numbers. thanks. I know it did an update earlier this week.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:42 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

    aaronwt said:

    I started having this 81% problem yesterday. Of course I need my backup to restore a PC. When using the restore disc I get an error. When I go into the WHS console from VISTA 32, Vista 64 and WinXp PCs it stops at 81% when trying to access those backed up drives.
    My MSS WHS is doing it's daily backups and shows no problems. The last time I used this feature was late last year and I had zero problems restroing the PC from a BAckup.

    Is there a fix for this or am I screwed?


    Hi,

    Do you have the February QFE? Can you post the build numbers in your Windows Home Server Console (settings>resources)?
     
    If you have the February QFE installed and you cannot do a single file restore, please submit a bug on Connect with client and server CABs, we need to look at your logs in order to determine what is happening with your particular server and clients.  The 81% bug does not have just one root cause.

    Thank you



    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server


    Here is what it shows for me.


    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24
    Friday, March 13, 2009 1:57 AM
  • aaronwt said:
    Here is what it shows for me.


    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24



    This is the Feb QFE. Please follow the links I posted above and file a bug. We will need to review your logs.

    Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 13, 2009 2:09 AM
    Moderator
  • Lara Jones said:

    aaronwt said:
    Here is what it shows for me.


    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24



    This is the Feb QFE. Please follow the links I posted above and file a bug. We will need to review your logs.

    Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server



    I will install the software this weekend to file a bug report. Thanks
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:12 PM
  • I was after some files from a WHS backup on my Win7 machine which had never had restore run previously, During restore at about 6% a driver was installed and then succesfully opened backup as Z drive. However I did not have access to the shared folder I wanted to copy files to so shut down Z and changed access rights. Ran restore again and got 81% fail but noticed no driver install. I then restored my Win 7 machine to yesterdays ms update restore point and when I ran WHS restore I again was asked to install driver and backup now works. Only thing is I cant find what was installed to manually remove it without a PC restore.


    update: some userpnp install from event log

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service BackupReader for Device Instance ID ROOT\BACKUPREADER\0000 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service volsnap for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER20 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\volume.inf_x86_neutral_5e5e88ed7cf326f6\volume.inf for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER20 with the following status: 0x0.

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service volsnap for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER21 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\volume.inf_x86_neutral_5e5e88ed7cf326f6\volume.inf for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER21 with the following status: 0x0.

    Stephen H

    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Drysofar said:

    I was after some files from a WHS backup on my Win7 machine which had never had restore run previously, During restore at about 6% a driver was installed and then succesfully opened backup as Z drive. However I did not have access to the shared folder I wanted to copy files to so shut down Z and changed access rights. Ran restore again and got 81% fail but noticed no driver install. I then restored my Win 7 machine to yesterdays ms update restore point and when I ran WHS restore I again was asked to install driver and backup now works. Only thing is I cant find what was installed to manually remove it without a PC restore.


    update: some userpnp install from event log

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service BackupReader for Device Instance ID ROOT\BACKUPREADER\0000 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service volsnap for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER20 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\volume.inf_x86_neutral_5e5e88ed7cf326f6\volume.inf for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER20 with the following status: 0x0.

    Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service volsnap for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER21 with the following status: 0.

    Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\volume.inf_x86_neutral_5e5e88ed7cf326f6\volume.inf for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER21 with the following status: 0x0.

    Stephen H



    Are you running the beta 1 (build 7000) of Windows 7?

    Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 13, 2009 6:59 PM
    Moderator
  • yes beta 7000 however I think this might be the same for vista, I remember getting some files from backup once then having to use another machine when I tried a second time on the vista machine, I think it is just that its a fresh install with no preivious attempt at backup recovery that sets the install off and allows recovery once then you are stuffed. I have found the folders in FileRepository and might try just deleting them after I have finished my file grab to see if I can force a reinstall of the driver.

    Stephen H
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Ok, so i finished my file grab from backup closed down the Z drive window and tried to open another restore from same pc and got the 81% fail. will try some creative deleting and see what happens.

    Interesting, I went to check in My computer to make sure Z drive gone and I can see the 4 card reader ports on my Dell monitor, normally these are not visible.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Drysofar said:

    Ok, so i finished my file grab from backup closed down the Z drive window and tried to open another restore from same pc and got the 81% fail. will try some creative deleting and see what happens.

    Interesting, I went to check in My computer to make sure Z drive gone and I can see the 4 card reader ports on my Dell monitor, normally these are not visible.



    Actually, this is the exact behavior for the Windows 7000 build and the 81% bug. You can restore once and then it fails after that.

    You should, however, be able to do a single file restore on your other non-Windows 7 clients or on a Windows 7 machine on a later build number if you have access - which I realize is a tease. Sorry about that.

    Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:35 PM
    Moderator
  • Has there been any further progress on this bug? I'm also getting it on my Vista x64 machine, Vista 32bit machine and an xp machine.

    Am happy to submit cabs or whatever you need but need to be pointed to instructions on exactly what you need (I'm not sure where these Cabs are)

    regards,
    Stephen
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:21 AM
  • Stephen Price said:

    Has there been any further progress on this bug? I'm also getting it on my Vista x64 machine, Vista 32bit machine and an xp machine.

    Am happy to submit cabs or whatever you need but need to be pointed to instructions on exactly what you need (I'm not sure where these Cabs are)

    regards,
    Stephen



    What are the version numbers in your Windows Home Server Console under settings>resources (please post all the numbers)



    The Feb QFE resolved this for most people.

    Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 12:55 AM
    Moderator
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

    thanks,
    Stephen

    p.s. Installing the toolkit so I can get the info and post a bug if you say I should do so.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:56 AM
  • I tried to submit the error log files and got an error;

    Adding file to problem report: c:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\talq.zip
    Failed to send Watson report. The report can be found in :\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\talq.zip
    Finished. Please press ENTER to quit...

    I looked at the file and found the mountBackup log.

    [26/03/2009 5:45:16 PM 1948] Mounting Read/Write volume
    [26/03/2009 5:45:16 PM 1948] MountedRestoreHelper::Mount() - Success with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_MOUNT_VOLUME IOCTL
    [26/03/2009 5:45:16 PM 1948] TICK,THREAD STARTED, 165549
    [26/03/2009 5:45:16 PM 1948] Driver transition (mounted RW volume) OK
    [26/03/2009 5:45:16 PM 1948] Extending
    [26/03/2009 5:45:17 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=10, writes=0, errors=0.  [770047:1]
    [26/03/2009 5:45:17 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=19, writes=1, errors=0.  [786435:1]
    [26/03/2009 5:45:17 PM 25cc] OnProgress: UI progress = 81%
    [26/03/2009 5:45:17 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=23, writes=7, errors=0.  [786434:1]
    ...
    [26/03/2009 5:45:27 PM 18c4] Error reading cluster 24412382 count 4096
    [26/03/2009 5:45:27 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=534, writes=226, errors=50.  [8:1]
    [26/03/2009 5:45:27 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=543, writes=227, errors=50.  [778771:1]
    [26/03/2009 5:45:27 PM 18c4]       Cluster reads=549, writes=231, errors=50.  [770049:1]
    [26/03/2009 5:45:28 PM 25cc] OnProgress: UI progress = 81%
    [26/03/2009 5:45:28 PM 1948] ERROR: waiting for the read/write drive to appear failed at restoreoffproc.exe -v 0 -X 390574080

    is the part I think its failing on. It can't mount the volume due to the errors and thus fails.
    I couldn't get the CAB number and I'm not sure if it was uploaded successfully or not. (it says it failed)

    thanks,
    Stephen
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:17 AM
  • If the talq.zip file isn't too large you can upload it directly to Connect, Stephen. And if you don't have a CAB # (reported after a successful upload using the toolkit) it doesn't matter if the file was uploaded or not. There's no way for the team to find your logs. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:23 PM
    Moderator