Windows Aurora RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, i have a custom biuld server :dual quad core cpu's on a intel server board , running WHS v1

as far as i have read and understood the new upcomming Vail will not support 2 cpu's , but Aurora will. I mainly use my whs v1 for storring all my movies and music, and i stream them  to a media player to watch on a tv , now i want to utilize both my cpu's on my server and Aurora can do this , but will i be able to stream my movies and music to any sort of media player ( i am not going to stream vie the internet just inside my home on my own network) i mainly use my server just to store all my content , so everything is in one place and easy accessable

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hello, i have a custom biuld server :dual quad core cpu's on a intel server board , running WHS v1

as far as i have read and understood the new upcomming Vail will not support 2 cpu's , but Aurora will. I mainly use my whs v1 for storring all my movies and music, and i stream them  to a media player to watch on a tv , now i want to utilize both my cpu's on my server and Aurora can do this , but will i be able to stream my movies and music to any sort of media player ( i am not going to stream vie the internet just inside my home on my own network) i mainly use my server just to store all my content , so everything is in one place and easy accessable

No. There's no media handling in Aurora. And you have read correctly, Vail will not support multiple processor sockets.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:43 PM
  • That's a tat disapointing, what esle is out there "that is fairly simple to use  that will use utilize both my cpu's" or should i just get over myself and install "vail" when it's out even if it just uses one of the 2 cpu's . What do i do with a dual cpu server, if i can't use all the horsepower
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:07 PM
  • No. There's no media handling in Aurora.
    OK, I'm going to expose my ignorance here.

If I have some music, or videos, stored on my WHS (v1, Vail Aurora, whatever) and I open Windows Media Player, or VLC, or whatever, on my client computer (not extender) and play the content, I had always thought that the server (WHS) was just passively serving up the files, and that all the business of playing the media was handled by the player.

Are you saying that this is wrong, and/or I will not be able to do this on Aurora (as I can on V1 and I assume Vail).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:30 PM
  •  my spesific problem is that i want to play my "movies /music" on client computers,as well as a media player /extender of some sort all hardwired running on cat 5e/cat 6 cable on a gigabit switch.but i want to utilize my server  fully if i could ( what is the use of having a server with mult cpu sockets and i can not use it ) i am not an expert in this , i biulded this server and is proud of it , i would just like to get some info on what i can or can not do

thanks

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:44 PM
  • my spesific problem is that i want to play my "movies /music" on client computers,as well as a media player /extender of some sort all hardwired running on cat 5e/cat 6 cable on a gigabit switch.but i want to utilize my server fully if i could ( what is the use of having a server with mult cpu sockets and i can not use it ) i am not an expert in this , i biulded this server and is proud of it , i would just like to get some info on what i can or can not do
    I understand your question. It was just the all-encompassing nature of Ken's reply that confused me.

What I do with my "powerful" machine (not as powerful as yours, just a single processor Athlon quad core) is run it as my HTPC using Windows 7, with WHS1 and an XP machine as virtual machines inside it (using VWWare server). All three of these machines run 24-7, and I can log into them remotely if I want.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Dave, you can consume files as files without any server-side media handling. What will be missing in Aurora is that server-side handling: streaming, transcoding, indexing, playlists, etc. The missing components buy you a better user experience, access from more devices, and access from afar. it will be possible to "roll your own" solution based on on Aurora, I'm sure, but it won't be a task for the average Joe, and it may prove extremely expensive (I wouldn't be surprised to see Aurora selling only as pre-installed software on servers costing upwards of $1500, since Windows Server 2008 R2 with 25 CALs is around $1600 from Newegg).
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Dave, you can consume files as files without any server-side media handling. What will be missing in Aurora is that server-side handling: streaming, transcoding, indexing, playlists, etc. The missing components buy you a better user experience, access from more devices, and access from afar.
    OK, this is what I thought. Thanks.

Let me ask you another question. My "idea" for listening to WHS content (just music and photos, not video) remotely was just to remote login to one of my client computers and access my WHS content using Media Player. This works if I use regular RDP locally in my house. But when I tried it remotely using the WHS Remote facility, I got no sound (even thogh I selected the option to hear sound). Why was that?

If it matters, this is an XP Pro virtual machine on my home network, with WMP 11.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:00 PM
  • This is effectively "by design". The Remote Desktop connection parameters are defined by Microsoft, and they've chosen not to enable this functionality. I would guess this is because it's bandwidth-intensive, and because of the Silverlight player that's built into the Remote Access web site.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:50 PM
  • This is effectively "by design". The Remote Desktop connection parameters are defined by Microsoft, and they've chosen not to enable this functionality. I would guess this is because it's bandwidth-intensive, and because of the Silverlight player that's built into the Remote Access web site.
    Well, the sound works if I remote log in to this XP virtual machine through WHS here in my house (same as it does with direct RDP). There is a selection on the WHS remote login screen to "Hear sound from the remote computer" (which I selected of course).

Are you telling me that Microsoft (you mean the WHS team, or generic Microsoft?) disables it for real remore logins, but not for local remote logins? Seems odd to me.

(This is all on WHS V1, by the way, not Vail)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Ok, what i still want to know is , if i run Aurora and conect a media player to it ( popcorn /medi8tor ect.) will i be able to stream movies from my server to the media player box via a network conection
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Ok, what i still want to know is , if i run Aurora and conect a media player to it ( popcorn /medi8tor ect.) will i be able to stream movies from my server to the media player box via a network conection

I already answered this: No, you will not be able to stream, but yes, you will be able to access the shares as shares.

So if your PCH can access SMB shares, you can get to the data and thus probably play it. If it requires a streaming server on the head end, then you're out of luck. For information about your PCH (what it's capabillities in this area actually are), check the manual.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Thanks ken, I just think Microsoft is a bit small minded not to include dual socket cpu support in vail , everyone cant just go and buy a server of the rack , and some people like to biuld there own ( like me ) WHS is vey simple tu use and user friendly, to replace it with complicated senarios just to get dual cpu support is; well let say complicated . I think i will for the time keep running whs v1 as is , and hope something comes up in the future

thanks for the info

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:34 PM
    Yes, sorry. I hi-jacked your thread. It's my NNTP mentality showing through :-).

I'm going to have to try this "sound over remote RDP" again, because things I read tell me it should be working.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:30 PM
  • 
    "wolfman001" wrote in message
    news:e9c3bca9-e74b-448b-bd6e-b73c1743cb2a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    > Hello, i have a custom biuld server :dual quad core cpu's on a intel
    > server board , running WHS v1
    >
    Wolfman, I've read the thread, and here's something you may be interested in
    so you don't "waste" the setup you have:

"If you want something to test. (and have the hardware!), then there's a
    public
    beta of Windows Small Business Server "7" up on connect. I've been running
    it for a while, in a previous build, and I like the changes. But this is
    hardly for everyone - it's a 10 GB/4 Core server requirement, and it
    includes full Exchange 2010 and SharePoint Foundation Server. But since we
    don't have much in the way of stuff to test, and I know you all love to
    abuse
    software, by all means grab a copy. https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs."

This came from an associate, and as you can see, you're probably one of the
    few who can take advantage of this beta. I certainly don't have the
    hardware!

So, go take a look at
    and look at the specs for Small Business Server 7. It may be just the
    challenge you need. :)
    --
    Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 Beta Ferret

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:41 PM
  • That's a tat disapointing, what esle is out there "that is fairly simple to use  that will use utilize both my cpu's" or should i just get over myself and install "vail" when it's out even if it just uses one of the 2 cpu's . What do i do with a dual cpu server, if i can't use all the horsepower
    In the case that you are asking if it supports two cpu's, the answer is likely no. If however you are asking if it will use multi-core cpu's, the answer is very likely yes.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Thanks Nancy, My server mobo  does have 2 sockets running  quad core  zion cpu's, so i will just have to wait and keep on trying to find an operating software that supports 2 cpu's, and that can be used in a home envoirement  for media sharing streaming , whs is a one of the best software to come from Microsoft in a long time, it is perfect for home use and easy to use ( if they would have just left dual socket cpu support in there :) 

who said life is easy :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:39 AM
  • You can "roll your own" on Linux, I suppose, or use one of the "home server clone" distros like Amahi. Or you can "roll your own" using Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2 (pricey!). But you'll find that with the increased power and flexibility comes increased complexity. Windows Home Server isn't a general purpose server OS, it's targeted at specific relatively low-end needs, so it doesn't need to support high-end server hardware (multi-socket MBs, many GB of memory, etc.).

I can tell you that there is nothing that Vail is designed to do that can't be done with a single i5 processor and 4 GB of memory. That includes real-time transcoding and streaming of HD video content.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:23 PM
  • There is nothing stopping you from using Aurora and dropping a media server on top of it.  I have to do that with VAIL as well since it cant stream my .mkv files (at least my WD HD Live and the web interface cant seem them from Vail's streaming/trans-coding service).

Another note is that when VAIL and Aurora are released a plug-in for VAIL (I'm hoping My Movies fits the bill) may work for Aurora and at least expose the videos locally.  Just a thought.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:42 PM