Windows XP not valid/genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 600m and recently needed to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition, which came with the computer.  However, the setup CD is 6000 miles away, and I have no way to get it.  So I discovered that there are no Windows XP ISOs available, so I remoted into my desktop 6000 miles away and found that I still have an ISO saved on there, and used that to install XP by a USB flash drive.

It was installing just fine, until it asked me for a Product Key.  I have the sticker on the laptop, but it did not work.  This isn't the first time I reinstalled XP on here, so I know it is a valid product key.  I had to skip it.  Now it's asking me to Activate Windows, and it still says I mistyped my product key.  I am absolutely sure that it was not a mistype, I've tried it many times.  I called the number that it provided, gave the machine the Installation ID, and it said that it's sorry this isn't a valid copy of Windows.

So now I'm stuck with a trial of Windows XP Home Edition for 29 days that doesn't appear to be valid or genuine.  I tried the Genuine Advantage tool and it came up with this error: 0x8007003 which probably means that my copy isn't valid.

I'm not cracking it just so I can use a non-genuine copy of Windows, especially when I have the right to have a legal copy on this computer, with my valid product key.  Is there any way I can get a legal copy of Windows XP Home Edition, or an ISO, without paying for something I already own?  (It's 32-bit)

Also, I tried going to the Dell website and putting in my Service Tag, but the warranty expired in 2008 and they won't give me a copy without the valid warranty.  I'm not interested in renewing the warranty, since I don't really need it for anything besides this and I will probably get a new laptop next year.  I understand that XP is losing support in April, but I need it for the year.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

• Edited by dablueman22 Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 12:25 PM

Answers

• MGA Diagnostic Report Required:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.
    Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:38 PM