none
WHS System Disk - Ideal size?

Question

• Hi all,

I use my WHS for relatively heavy duty data storage purposes.  Between photos and art files, I've got around 1.5 TB of data stored on it now, and that number is growing all the time.  That said, I do not utilize folder duplication for the bulk of that data -- I back it up to external drives that are stored offsite.

Anyway, I currently have two 500 GB and two 1 TB drives in the machine.  I recently bought two 1 TB drives to replace the smaller ones, but one of the disks I want to upgrade is the system disk.  Reading some posts here, it seems like that might be overkill since the WHS OS doesn't seem to actually store data on this drive, correct?  Is 500 GB (more than) enough, or will the 1 TB drive actually help?

Thanks for any assistance/advice!

--Jim.

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

•  Feckman wrote:
    Hi all,

I use my WHS for relatively heavy duty data storage purposes.  Between photos and art files, I've got around 1.5 TB of data stored on it now, and that number is growing all the time.  That said, I do not utilize folder duplication for the bulk of that data -- I back it up to external drives that are stored offsite.

Anyway, I currently have two 500 GB and two 1 TB drives in the machine.  I recently bought two 1 TB drives to replace the smaller ones, but one of the disks I want to upgrade is the system disk.  Reading some posts here, it seems like that might be overkill since the WHS OS doesn't seem to actually store data on this drive, correct?

It will store data on the primary drive, but only when necessary (when there is no where else to put the data).

Feckman wrote:
    Is 500 GB (more than) enough, or will the 1 TB drive actually help?

Thanks for any assistance/advice!

--Jim.

That's a personal opinion question.  My opinion:  500 GB is enough for the primary.  The only time you will have a problem is when you want to copy more than ~470 GB of data to the server at one time.  And honestly, how often does that happen? Smile

Monday, August 11, 2008 8:31 PM