transferring records from Money 2007 into Money Sunset RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded Sunset and would like to transfer about 4 years of cash transactions from Money 2007.  That's the only part of the software I use - I don't download bank transactions, etc.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• Easy. Same computer? Install Sunset. Let Sunset uninstall Money 2007. I expect that Sunset will find your most recent *.mny file and convert that for its use.

Diiferent computer? Install Sunset. Copy your most recent *.mny file to the Documents folder in the other computter. Open money by double-clicking that *.mny file on the new computer. Change the backup settings to make the backups go to a place that actually exists on the new computer.

Monday, March 28, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Thanks!  It is on a different computer.  I've followed your steps and now have the most recent *.mny file on the new computer.  But when I click on it, and it opens up Sunset, I can't find my old transactions.  ?  Thanks.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Do you see any of your transactions? Is your filename (.mny omitted) shown just above File at the top left?

Suppose the file that you copied to you Document's folder was called Salonista5.mny, and suppose Salonista5.mny is the file that you double-clicked in Windows Explorer to open Money. Then in the top left of the window that Money is running, and just above the word File, there will be a little blue round icon with an M in it. To the right of that it would say "Salonista5 Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals- Microsoft Money".

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:37 PM
  • None of the transactions are there.  And, yes, the correct filename is showing above File.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:15 AM
  • I hope you copied the wrong file. An empty *.mny  file is about 3.5 meg.

Check your files on the original computer, and try to find the big recent *.mny file to copy over.

Alternatively, you can copy the latest *.mbf file to the Documents folder on the new computer. Double-click that file to launch Money. Do not restore to the default filename, but instead Browse to your Documents folder and pick a new name.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Cal, I figured out what I was doing wrong.  I was just dragging the Money file over to the flash drive through Windows Explorer, instead of right-clicking on the file and "Send to" the USB containing the flash drive.  That then forced me to Restore the file on the flash drive, and when I brought it over to the new computer, things were hunky-dory.  Ah, yes....  Thanks for your help!
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Well, I spoke too soon.  When I ejected the flash drive from the new computer, I could no longer locate a Money file that I could open.  What did I do wrong?  

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Cal, any additional suggestions you can give me?  Thanks.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Copy the file from your flash drive to the Documents folder of the new computer. If you cannot find the file on the flash drive, copy the file from the old computer to the flash drive again. Then copy the file from your flash drive to the Documents folder of the new computer.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 10:18 PM
  • I would have left what's not broken alone. Sunset is not an upgrade
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:46 PM