Import of data from hard disk stupidly slow - sub 1.3mb RRS feed

• Question

• Just a quick question for all you guru's. I have been using WHS for a year now but just tried reinstalling it so that I could put the OS onto my new 1TB drive. The installation went well at first and I was up and running very quickly. I am now at the stage where I need to copy all my data back onto my WHS but am having issues.

All the data is on another 1TB drive (which will eventually become my second drive in the machine), and the data is stored on a regular windows NTFS partition (ie not a WHS partition). Initially when I start copying the data to WHS I get 20-30mb transfer speeds, however after about 5 minutes my CPU usage bar in the task bar jumps to 50% and the transfer slows to 1.3mb!!!!

The WHS has all updates installed and my drivers are all current. I have media sharing turned off, duplication is off (as there is only 1 WHS drive in the machine) and I have no other applications running. When I look at task manager processes I am seeing 99% system idle process yet the green bar in my taskbar is still at 50% which seems to me that there is a task which I am not seeing?????

What is going on here. There is no way I am going to sit and wait to transfer 900GB of files at 1.3mb/s. It would take weeks to complete.

Has anyone got any suggestions. If you need more details then please let me know,

Jon
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:02 AM

All replies

• When I look at task manager processes I am seeing 99% system idle process yet the green bar in my taskbar is still at 50% which seems to me that there is a task which I am not seeing?????

You may want to use ProcessMonitor. I once had a similar case and it turned out that the CPU load was created by massive interruptes.
    Verify your hard disk connection, try to use another SATA port if availbe or simply reboot the machine.

Martin
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Just a quick question for all you guru's. I have been using WHS for a year now but just tried reinstalling it so that I could put the OS onto my new 1TB drive. The installation went well at first and I was up and running very quickly. I am now at the stage where I need to copy all my data back onto my WHS but am having issues.

All the data is on another 1TB drive (which will eventually become my second drive in the machine), and the data is stored on a regular windows NTFS partition (ie not a WHS partition). Initially when I start copying the data to WHS I get 20-30mb transfer speeds, however after about 5 minutes my CPU usage bar in the task bar jumps to 50% and the transfer slows to 1.3mb!!!!

The WHS has all updates installed and my drivers are all current. I have media sharing turned off, duplication is off (as there is only 1 WHS drive in the machine) and I have no other applications running. When I look at task manager processes I am seeing 99% system idle process yet the green bar in my taskbar is still at 50% which seems to me that there is a task which I am not seeing?????

What is going on here. There is no way I am going to sit and wait to transfer 900GB of files at 1.3mb/s. It would take weeks to complete.

Has anyone got any suggestions. If you need more details then please let me know,

Jon

Assuming you are going through the network to copy (as any other way is unsupported), it could also be your NIC (either on your client or your server).  I would lean towards the NIC driver on your server since you just reinstalled the OS.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Nope this is a straight internal sata disk copying to another internal sata disk. No network involvement what so ever. Next step will be to test the disk.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Is your disk set on PIO mode? That could be the reason you are seeing large CPU usage
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Nope this is a straight internal sata disk copying to another internal sata disk. No network involvement what so ever. Next step will be to test the disk.

Athough this has nothing to do with your hard drive problem, copying "disk-to-disk" (to D:\shares) on WHS is unsupported and can cause problems with your data.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I have the same problem here, tested on two motherboard. Same problem. Disk are ok. Replaced nic, no changes. I suspect a problem with WHS pp2.
    i'll make some additional test and i 'll come back.
    k.r.

I did reinstall everythin except pp2, but i have the same problem. So it is not pp2.
    Cpu is 0%, it probably as something to do with cache.

Any other one having this problem ?

To see if you have the problem, simply copy a lot of files from one disk (outside the pool) to one share folders. For my test i select maybe 20 folders of mp3, then drag to the destination folder and copy.
    I always end up with the same result :
    At first it go fast.. then begin to slow down, then down, then it is like frozen (in fact it is simply really slow), cpu 0%. Explorer is not responding, i can't shutdown (probably because is still trying to copy files).
    My disk are all Sata disk (installed as ide). All disk are UDMA5.
    I suspect a problem with the OS Server 2003 vs WHS cache.

If i go with something like "FastCopy", then there is no problem.

Is this a normal behavior ?
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:21 PM