is changing your product key activate your windows?? RRS feed

• Question

• just yesterday,I got a windows anytime upgrade code from internet..

so,I just check it out,and upgrade to windows 7 professional..

but,later I realize that my windows isn't genuine anymore..(my laptop came up with built-in OS windows 7 home premium)

and just a minute ago,I checked my MSDNAA for windows 7 professional,so I can re-install my windows 7...

then I found a serial number..

I don't know how to use at first,but then I clicked "Change product key"..

I clicked it,and use my serial number for it,then it says genuine!!

so,is changing my product key activate my windows??

I'm just worried if it'll be not genuine again sometime later...

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:11 AM

Answers

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a   non-genuine notification  issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool. 

Once you run the tool, click on the   Continue   button, then click on the  Copy  button and  Paste  the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:13 AM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a   non-genuine notification  issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool. 

Once you run the tool, click on the   Continue   button, then click on the  Copy  button and  Paste  the report into your post, along with your question. 

Thank you
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:13 AM
  • This phrase concerns me "I got a windows anytime upgrade code from internet..", MS store is the only legit place to buy a key and digital download of an anytime upgrade key, or pretty much any key for MS products with very few exceptions. If you bought this key off the internet from other than an authorized source you have most likely been scammed and they key even if good is not valid without the accompanying COA, invoice or subscription agreement.

If you purchased the anytime upgrade key from MS store then yes, submit a report and we can help you fix it. If you purchased a key online from any source other than MS store it is most likely a bogus key that is blocked, a default key that can't activate or an OEM key that won't activate. Please review the buying software safely sticky (link below).

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinewindows7/thread/06698c46-8668-4ccd-a544-a88969265a6b

If you feel you may have been scammed then paste a report and we can help you determine if that is the case and advise you on how to proceed.

Whatever the circumstances and the source of your key, if you need further help you should submit a report. To see if windows is activated press the pause and win key simultaniously to bring up the system properties box, scroll to the bottom and see what it says in the activation section, it will either say activated or say how many days left in the grace period. You can also get to system properties through the control panel.

• Proposed as answer by Carl Stephens Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:55 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:33 PM