WHS2 seems unfinished/rushed! RRS feed

• Question

• OK, FWIW, here is my very first impression of WHS2. I may change my opinion later but as a very average home user here is what I see. I’m a 30 year home computer user, I would say a typical target customer for WHS.

First, it’s difficult to get the thing setup even in a simple home environment with ~6 computers (Most W7). Would take too long to list the dead ends. I had to a second clean install to get it right!

It appears rushed, for example it’s absolutely ridiculous that you are essentially forced to have the workgroup “WORKGROUP”.  Most users will not want to go through the gyrations of altering certificates etc. or remote interface to get around this. This is 2011, that kind of thing indicates sloppy/lazy programming.

Another example, the Dashboard is far from intuitive. It took me a while before I realized I cannot move folders to a backup drive. Should be a popup etc.

When a computer is off, it still displays the computer as online.

The whole thing is real slow. I have mine on a Quad CPU, hate to think what it must be like on an older system.

The Launch Pad is an “In your Face” annoying Iarge Icon unless you hide it on the client. What ever happened to small simple desktop Icons?

On the Dashboard Home screen “Set up Server” check mark does not go away even when you configure the (new) client.  I have yet to find a way to remove the check mark from “Configure media settings”, has anybody?

In the “Client Computers Backup” folder clicking on it shows nothing.  Should at an absolute minimum a list the names of the computers it services.

There are more, agree these things are minor, but if I as an average home user see this immediately, the whole thing smells of a sloppy rush job. I’m contrasting this with the original WHS which was in my opinion one of the best pieces of software Microsoft ever wrote.  100% reliable, simple to use, I never had a problem with it in 3 years.  I actually still try to decide if I will stay with WHS-1 of move to WHS-2. 

Anybody thinking of “upgrading” need to know its n=frankly not that much of an improvement.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:49 PM

Answers

• "Neither I (or I’m sure you) have the time to go over this. I just want to pass an opinion that others may or may not heed."

Agreed, but I felt it important for others to hear an alternative view.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by monahan_z Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

• monahan_z

Please accept these comments as you see fit

Firstly WHS2011 is an OEM product and as such relies on a level of expertise from the system builder, who then supplies support to the end user.

"First, it’s difficult to get the thing setup even in a simple home environment with ~6 computers (Most W7). Would take too long to list the dead ends. I had to a second clean install to get it right!"

Without giving any detail, it is difficult to comment but in a very similar scenario, I had no problem.

"It appears rushed, for example it’s absolutely ridiculous that you are essentially forced to have the workgroup “WORKGROUP”.  Most users will not want to go through the gyrations of altering certificates etc. or remote interface to get around this. This is 2011, that kind of thing indicates sloppy/lazy programming."

The Workgroup is not relevant to a WHS setup

"Another example, the Dashboard is far from intuitive. It took me a while before I realized I cannot move folders to a backup drive. Should be a popup etc."

Why would you expect storage to be allowable on a backup drive?

"When a computer is off, it still displays the computer as online."

Not in my implementation.

"The whole thing is real slow. I have mine on a Quad CPU, hate to think what it must be like on an older system."

AMD Athlon-II X3 435 - no problems here.

"The Launch Pad is an “In your Face” annoying Iarge Icon unless you hide it on the client. What ever happened to small simple desktop Icons?"

Agreed

"On the Dashboard Home screen “Set up Server” check mark does not go away even when you configure the (new) client.  I have yet to find a way to remove the check mark from “Configure media settings”, has anybody?"

Not a problem on my implementation.

"In the “Client Computers Backup” folder clicking on it shows nothing.  Should at an absolute minimum a list the names of the computers it services."

That's not a shared folder so I assume you are accessing it some other way - the data you require is in the Dashboard Computers & Backups tab.

"Anybody thinking of “upgrading” need to know its n=frankly not that much of an improvement."

I disagree.

I suggest you log in to your Connect Account and provide feedback directly to the WHS2011 Home Server Team. Strangely, you have not picked on any of the aspects that I would have quoted as being "unfinished"!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:13 PM
  • Philip since you have gone to the trouble of a detailed response, first thanks, second I will do the same.

So if it’s for a system builders ONLY, why are individual "OEM" versions sold to individuals -- extra easy cash. Would be interesting to see how many copies egghead etc. sold.

On "WORKGROUP", if it's not needed why it is even listed!

On moving a folder to a backup drive, I disagree. I backup my systems with Acronis on drives that have other folders all the time.  Microsoft, BTW, might do well to see how the Acronis interface works. Fast, simple reliable. Frankly it’s the only backup I really trust around here for a complete system re-install.

Computer off – WHS displays still “Online”.  I’m look at my server right now, nearby computer is off! Not imagining it.  Clearly differences – things like this should have been resolved way back.

On “Client Computers Backup”, it’s listed as a folder like Documents, Music, and Pictures etc. It should be “grayed” out or something to indicate it’s not like the others.   Would it be so hard for Microsoft just to list the computer backups it has there.  A normal “man on the street” would expect it to behave so.  The excuse this is an OEM product so all is forgiven is just not acceptable.  Things like this will bother end users.

As to my first comment, I have been “doing” home computers since the 70’s (S100 Bus etc.) I have installed most operating systems in 30 years, some easy, fast, intuitive, WHS2 is not one of them.  Neither I (or I’m sure you) have the time to go over this. I just want to pass an opinion that others may or may not heed.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:29 PM
  • "Neither I (or I’m sure you) have the time to go over this. I just want to pass an opinion that others may or may not heed."

Agreed, but I felt it important for others to hear an alternative view.

• Marked as answer by monahan_z Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:35 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Hi,

I also do not encounter most of the things you have on your setup. Mine is based on an OEM solution by TranquilPC (Atom D525) and I have no performance issues !

The only thing I agree is on the setup not being done for average home users, even though with solutions from OEM partners it is as easy as installing windows finally !

Regards,

Benoit

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:24 PM