Network Requirements for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am keen to get a home server setup with WHS but would like to clarify whether the following will be suitable:

1. Home server with WHS connected to modem/router wirelessly;
    2. HTPC connected to WHS with Gigabit LAN & wireless connection to modem/router;
    3. Desktop PC connected to WHS with Gigabit LAN & wireless connection to modem/router.

The current position of phone points and hence modem/router in my house makes it very hard to connect directly to any of the PCS.
    A wired connection to the WHS server to the other PCs is easier to do.

I have noted through various posts and guides that the WHS server seems to require a wired connection for initial installation and setup. I can probably manage that but it would then need to be repositioned after for general use.

Is it OK for WHS to then only have wireless connection to modem/router after initial setup?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Grant
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:09 AM

All replies

• According to the Microsoft guidelines for Windows Home Server wireless connections are not supported. And given to the amount of data which needs to pass the network connection to the home server during backups, its also not recommended in the most scenarios. Windows Home Server backup does not tolerate short breaks of the network connection well, and wireless LANs tend to be effected by influences of the environment a lot.
    In your description it seems, that the server is connected to a switch or something else, and the Internet connection goes a different way, which you do not explain a lot. So the first point - reliability of WLAN connections - will not affect the backup, but Remote Access functionality seems to be questionable without knowing the details.
    If this means, that you want to give the server two network connections (one wired and one wireless) - a multihomed configuration of the server is also not expected and supported and can lead to unexpected connectivity breaks.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my poor description of the problem/situation.

The situation with my home means it is almost impossible to locate the server or any computers permanently with a wired network connection.

I was hoping to do the initial WHS install and setup using a wired connection to my modem/router. After that I would relocate the server and the wired connection to would then be replaced by a wireless connection.

The WHS connection to the two computers that it would serve would be through a wired connection (Gibabit ethernet).

Those two computers are also wirelessly connected to the same modem/router.

I hope this is a feasible arrangement as WHS seems to be exactly what I am after but unfortunately I have limited flexibility with regards to location of modem/router and computers.

Thanks,

Grant
    Friday, October 23, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my poor description of the problem/situation.

The situation with my home means it is almost impossible to locate the server or any computers permanently with a wired network connection.

I was hoping to do the initial WHS install and setup using a wired connection to my modem/router. After that I would relocate the server and the wired connection to would then be replaced by a wireless connection.

The WHS connection to the two computers that it would serve would be through a wired connection (Gibabit ethernet).

Those two computers are also wirelessly connected to the same modem/router.

I hope this is a feasible arrangement as WHS seems to be exactly what I am after but unfortunately I have limited flexibility with regards to location of modem/router and computers.

Thanks,

Grant
    As Olaf said, connecting WHS to a router through a wireless connection is unsupported.  However, to clarify, your clients can be wireless (just not the server).  If nothing else, when you move your wired connection, move just your server with it and set it right next to it, then wire it with an ethernet cable to your router.  Besides, all you need for the server connections are a power cord and an ethernet cord.  Monitors/keyboards/mice are not necessary (not to mention logging into the server desktop is unsupported anyway).
    Friday, October 23, 2009 11:12 PM
  • A suggestion: look into something like DHP-301 PowerLine HD.  I'm using four of these to stream media extenders and they work for me.  Highly dependent on the wiring of your house.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Dear Kariya21,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, the layout of my house and the location of the phone point (in the kitchen) means that it is very difficult to either locate the server close to the router or to run a wired connection to any of the clients. I would love to be able to relocate the phone point and the router but that is not possible.

I was hoping that a wired connection was only required for the initial install and setup but it sounds like WHS requires a wired connection for day to day operation (e.g. checking for updates and so on...).

It sounds as though wireless connection to clients is possible but not recommended.

I may have to consider alternatives which are a bit more flexible and suited to the peculiar demands of my situation.

Thanks,

Grant
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Hi Working1,

I don't think this will work in my house which is old and I suspect has poor quality wiring.

Regards,

Grant
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:19 AM
  • I don't think this will work in my house which is old and I suspect has poor quality wiring.
    I think wiring quality isn't so important as which circuits have wires in common. Investigating whether a powerline network connector would serve to connect between a single point where the router is, to a switch at the point where the WHS server would be located. The other computer(s) could remain wireless.

With the exception of my HTPC and WHS, all other clients are wireless. Backup works fine.

Look to see if you can get a money-back guarantee from your source of the powerline adapter.

Chris
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:04 AM
  • Hi Chris,

I would prefer to avoid having to rely on the good nature of a retailer to test the powerline option.

I am hoping to get another phone point installed at home in a more suitable location which is much cheaper than the powerline option here in Australia.

Regards,

Grant
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:57 AM
  • The way I see it, you have 4 options

1:) You either try to stratigically place a ethernet cable around your kitchen to where the server is
    2:) You get a Phone extenstion lead and plug it into the phone socket outlet and stratigically postion that around your kitchen and place the router somewhere else.
    3:) You try and place your server somewhere in the kitchen perhaps a kitchen cupboard somewhere, with some decent cooling I suppose (Also depends on size of your server.
    4) Or as Working1 suggested you try and use a powerline ethernet connection.

These are really your only options unless you call your phone company and see if they can add some sort of extension or move the box to somewhere else. Other than this there is nothing else you can do.

Henry
    HMG
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I would prefer to avoid having to rely on the good nature of a retailer to test the powerline option.
    That shouldn't be a problem if clarified in advance. Anyway, the relative cost of the phone point vs powerline network seems to make it moot.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:21 AM
  • I don't see why he can't do it as wanted. Worst case would be perhaps having to set-up his WHS machine and other computers with static IP's. There might be some "failed" windows update sessions and/or remote connection sessions, but the back-ups and "in-house" sessions should be just fine. It seems many here are "missing" what he is saying, or maybe it is me--my understanding is as follows:

-- Home Server machine to other computers in home --> WIRED Gigabit ethernet connections
    -- Home Server machine to router/modem --> WIRELESS (not sure what possible problems setting up 2 different network connections might cause)
    -- Other computers in home to router/modem --> WIRELESS (shouldn't be a problem as I have had a desktop w/ 2 Gigabit ethernet connections on motherboard AND a USB wireless-N connection all working together without problem pointing to different "networks/access points"

If there are problems encountered with getting WHS to use 2 different network connections simultaneously, perhaps he could try getting one of his other computers to provide "internet sharing" with the WHS over the wired gigabit connection. Again, might cause some problems or require some work-arounds for windows update and/or remote access--but definitely the least expensive alternative.

Good luck DungMD, hope you accomplish your goal. Please update and let us know how you "conquerred" this.

Joe
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I don't see why he can't do it as wanted.

He can't do what he wanted because A) connecting WHS to a router wirelessly is unsupported and B) it won't even let you install if it detects the connection is wireless.

Worst case would be perhaps having to set-up his WHS machine and other computers with static IP's. There might be some "failed" windows update sessions and/or remote connection sessions, but the back-ups and "in-house" sessions should be just fine. It seems many here are "missing" what he is saying, or maybe it is me--my understanding is as follows:

-- Home Server machine to other computers in home --> WIRED Gigabit ethernet connections
    -- Home Server machine to router/modem --> WIRELESS (not sure what possible problems setting up 2 different network connections might cause)
    -- Other computers in home to router/modem --> WIRELESS (shouldn't be a problem as I have had a desktop w/ 2 Gigabit ethernet connections on motherboard AND a USB wireless-N connection all working together without problem pointing to different "networks/access points"

If there are problems encountered with getting WHS to use 2 different network connections simultaneously, perhaps he could try getting one of his other computers to provide "internet sharing" with the WHS over the wired gigabit connection. Again, might cause some problems or require some work-arounds for windows update and/or remote access--but definitely the least expensive alternative.

Good luck DungMD, hope you accomplish your goal. Please update and let us know how you "conquerred" this.

Joe

Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:13 AM
  • He can't do what he wanted because A) connecting WHS to a router wirelessly is unsupported and B) it won't even let you install if it detects the connection is wireless.

Since there is a vast amount of discussion here and elsewhere about doing things with WHS that are "unsupported" it seems that is the most useless part of this conversation. There are too many things being done which are "unsupported" to even get into that discussion!

He also noted that he could temporarily move the WHS system to hard-wire it to the router/modem during initial install, this would allow for the first updates without problem--as well as your assertion that WHS will not let you install if it detects the connection is wireless. After install he would then move to where the other computers are hard-wired to the WHS, thus at that point only the connection to the "outside world" would be wireless. Since most people set up a WHS for backup purposes, and those would be over wired connections, dealing with the outside world is perhaps no big deal.

I know from my own experience it is not necessary to have any clients working at time of initial install--my were all turned off! So I go back to my original "thoughts" on the subject...since the there are only two purposes for the router in a WHS configuration: 1) to assign IP's to machines on the network, and 2) to provide access to/from the internet--using static IP's for all machines (rather than dynamic IP assignment) would certainly take care of number 1 --- and I do indeed point out there could be problems gaining access to internet/outside world wirelessly from the WHS; although I can attest to fact backups from clients to WHS works great wireless.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:49 AM
  • ...  I can attest to fact backups from clients to WHS works great wireless.
    All of my backups are wireless, but I made a point of backing up my first Win 7 upgraded machine over wires, in the interest of expediency. Other workstations upgraded to Win7 later will be done wirelessly, since most of the data will have been stored once already.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:55 AM