W10 1511, 10586 Breaks WHS2011 Launchpad RRS feed

• Question

• I have updated two W10 machines to this latest update and in both cases, the Launchpad still connects to my WHS2011 Server but does not show any of the buttons (Backup, Remote Access etc) - has anyone else seen this?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:46 PM

Answers

• The November update deletes the file "LaunchPadContent.dll" from "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad".

I did restore the file from a client backup and all is working again.

Luc. 

• Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:39 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:40 PM
  • I discovered that when uninstalling the WHS 2011 connector, the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server is deleted, but the uninstallation forgot to remove the folder "Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server" found inside the Task Scheduler program. As a result, at least on my machine, all I got when trying to reinstall the connector was a "Path not found" error.

My solution was to go to the "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows" folder and recreate the missing "Windows Server" folder. Now my WHS 2011 backup is working on my Windows 10 Anniversary version.

Arild

• Proposed as answer by uuujjjjj Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, February 24, 2017 10:29 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:47 AM
  • PJKellett:

To answer your question - yes. An uninstall/reinstall of the Connector software also fixes this problem.

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:08 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2015 10:25 PM

All replies

• Yup. Exactly the same thing has happened to me. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a fix for it and am hoping someone at Microsoft figures out a patch. The Dashboard is still functional. Has anyone tried to uninstall and then re-install the connector software?
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:06 PM
  • The November update deletes the file "LaunchPadContent.dll" from "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad".

Luc. 

• Marked as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:39 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Luc

Many thanks - that worked fine. What were Microsoft thinking?

Phil

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:40 PM
  • Thanks Guys. I'll give that a try.
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Luc,

Many thanks for spotting this - your solution worked for me. Why on earth the Windows Update should have removed this DLL I have no idea. It makes total nonsense of the claim splashed across the screen when we first log in after the upgrade that "all your files are exactly where you left them"... Oh no, they're not, Microsoft...

Friday, November 20, 2015 12:10 PM
  • It also deleted an incoming VPN connection on a W10 machine, as it did when that was originally upgraded from W8.1

Also it (W10) was reporting a wrong MAC address (changed xx:xx:EF to xx:xx: FF) to my router which then gave it a non-reserved IP address - result "No external access" as port forwarding (which is set up to a fixed IP on my network) was misdirected. A few reboots fixed the problem - no idea why!

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:23 PM
  • PJKellett:

To answer your question - yes. An uninstall/reinstall of the Connector software also fixes this problem.

• Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:08 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2015 10:25 PM
  • Dear all,

I had the same problem already with Windows 8 Systems. The reason is the new partitioning mode GPT, which WHS 2011 doesn´t know in its original version.

You should install the Hotfix from KB 2781272 on your WHS 2011, which will solve the problem. This works also with Windows 10 Clients.

After installing Windows 10 1511 I lost the backup configurations of the Windows 10 Clients. I think the reason is the assignment of new SID during upgrade. There no data on the WHS 2011 are assigned to your machine. The solution for this is to deinstall WHS 2011 Connector Software and then reinstall it using HTTP://<homeserver>/connect. Now everything works great again.

Have fun :-)

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Now with Windows 10 build 14352 and 14361, Connector has a problem and when you uninstall it and attempt to reinstall it, it fails. You get a message, "The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error."  The installer deletes all of the changes it made to your system and you can't install it.

I can't get anyone from the Windows Insider team to provide information or a workaround.  Disappointing.

Chuck

Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Same here.  Need a fix.
    Sunday, July 17, 2016 1:24 AM
  • It was pointed out to me yesterday that WHS 2011 has reached End Of Life in April 2016.  The feedback I got from a non-Microsoft employee speculated that this issue won't be fixed.  The part that upsets me is that when Windows 10 was delivered, (the RTM version that is current), the WHS 2011 Connector worked and it still does.  Where it doesn't work is for those PC's as a part of the Insider program.  Microsoft wants to update all Windows 10 machines to the Anniversary build which is what we are all testing.  It becomes available on August 2, 2016.  This means, on or after August 2, all Windows 10 machines with the WHS 2011 Connector will no longer have access to their server and it's backups.  That sucks!  I think every WHS 2011 customer that has client machines running Windows 10 should shout from the roof-top that that is not the way to treat customers.  That is wrong; deliver a new OS that works with a key part of your computing environment and then break it and not fix it.  That's wrong!

Chuck

Chuck

Sunday, July 17, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Let's see, what happens. I find it more annoying, that an update/developer things it is a good idea to remove components from 3rd party applications without even asking.

If it gets too annoying, my Windows Home Server still holds a backup from my Windows 7 installation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Olaf:

One of my PCs is very new and it downloaded the update to Windows 10 v1607 on the initial rollout date of August 2. The update went OK for me on this machine. After the update, the original problem that started this thread appeared (buttons missing from the Launchpad). In an effort to avoid the problem that Chuck Coleman described, I did not fix the Launchpad by uninstalling/reinstalling the Connector, so I don't know if this issue still exists. Instead, I found that the file "LaunchPadContent.dll" was missing from the folder "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad", as described in the first reply to this thread. So I replaced this file from a backup. The Launchpad now works properly. Access to shares on the server works. The Dashboard opens and functions fully. Automatic nightly backup to that machine succeeded last night.

The machine in question is UEFI with GPT partitions. For future reference, I put a copy of "LaunchPadContent.dll" on the server to be easily available when the other machines update and I need to fix them.

I'm wondering if the Connector will install in compatibility mode?

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:03 PM
  • My WHS2011 connector software worked well with WIN10 Pro.  Then I installed the Anniversary Update on 2 Aug.  It broke the connector.  I replaced the missing launchpadcontent.dll but that did not complete repair the connector software.  So, I tried dozens of on-line fixes.  None worked.  I uninstalled the connector software and removed the WIN10 computer from the server dashboard list.  I tried to reinstall the connector software, MANY times, without success.  Each time the installation is almost complete when it instead aborts and rolls back the connector installation. Is there a work around??

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:34 PM
  • I haven't tried this but it's worth a shot. On a web browser go to server/connect and download the Computer Connector installer file to your PC. Before installing, right-click on the installer file and choose "Properties". On the "Compatibility" tab, run the installer in compatibility mode for Windows 8 or Windows 7 to see if the installation will complete this way.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:56 PM
  • BigGuy, I hate to tell you this but I've been fighting this issue since May 29, 2016.  I've done tons of research and got help from an outstanding Microsoft MVP.  Unfortunately, I was never able to solve the issue, until today, (sorry, don't get your hopes up).  Today I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 and now the Connector works perfectly.  As you might know, that means copy every personal file elsewhere, make copies of all your settings like Task Manager settings, etc, reformat the hard drive by deleting the volume during the Windows 10 installation, and reinstalling every application and personal files.  In my case, I've been at it for about 8 hours.  This is really a shame that you can't get the level of help you need from Microsoft when you're helping them by testing pre-release software, and that software breaks an important function.  Sorry, set some time aside.

Chuck

Chuck

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Mark, along my long journey to solve this problem I did what you suggested, and unfortunately, it didn't change a thing. You still couldn't install the Connector.

Chuck

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Interesting. There must be something in common with the installations that have worked and those that have failed. Perhaps we can jointly figure out what the common factor is.

I just upgraded a second PC to Windows 10 v1607. After upgrade the file "LaunchPadContent.dll" was not missing like it was in the first PC that I upgraded. All of the features of Launchpad worked except for starting a backup. The Dashboard worked but backups could not be started from there either. An uninstall / reinstall of the connector succeeded and now everything works.

What is the common thread here? My two machines had clean installs of Windows 10 v1511 and were upgraded to v1607. For those for whom the connector won't install, were your machines upgraded from an earlier version of Windows? Which version?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:18 AM
  • In my case two of my PC's were part of the Windows Insider program.  The WHS 2011 Connector stopped working with a new build around May 30, 2016.  There had been problems with the WHS 2011 Connector in previous builds but the remedy was always to uninstall it and then re-install it.  Around May 30th, you could uninstall it but you couldn't reinstall it.  I spent a ton of hours with an MVP's help trying to figure out why and what was the common thread between my two PC's.  I still don't know the answer to either question.  Even when Windows 10 Anniversary was released and installed, you still couldn't install the Connector software.  Again, my remedy, which is painful, was to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Chuck

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:52 AM
  • I installed the WIN10Pro Anniv. update on Aug 2. it broke the WHS2011 connector software.  I found I was missing the file "LaunchPadContent.dll" from "C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Launchpad" as mentioned above.  I replaced it.  Unfortunately, Launchpad still did not work properly.  I uninstalled the connector software.  Now, it will not re-install.  I now get the encountered an unexpected error message as well. 

I called Microsoft Answers at 866-425-8809 and got elevated and passed off to professional tech support.  The staff of the consumer and pro tech support were arguing ovbr who had jurisdiction for a WHS2011 connector software install problem when I as them to call me back once they worked out.  I am yet to get my callback.

Is there a workaround or fix out there? 

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Same experience here.  However, I tried an uninstall and reinstall of the connector software.  That was a big mistake.  It will no longer install.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Mark, compatibility mode did not correct the refusal to install.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Chuck, a reinstall of WIN10 is extreme.  I am glad it worked for you.  I am not ready to take such an extreme measure myself.
    • Edited by 1 BigGuy Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:37 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Mark, my WIN10Pro is an upgrade from WIN7Pro.  I made the upgrade last July.  None of the subsequent updated caused a problem for the connector software until the Anniversary Update on Aug 2.  I found this update had deleted the .DLL file as mentioned above.  Replacing it gave me a crippled Connector install.  Therefore, I uninstalled the connector software and removed the client from the list of computers in the dashboard.  I have not yet updated my 2 other WIN10 clients with the anniversary update. 
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Guys, I just spent an hour plus on the phone with MS Answers 866-425-8809 in India.  The tech agreed to view this forum page to get a better understanding of the problem I was having.  His best suggestion was to use a restore point to back out of the update.  I did not do that for many reasons. 

We ran the .NET Framework repair tool to verify .NET. 

His final suggestion was to take the actual PC to Microsoft in my area (Alaska) for hands-on support.  There is none closer than Seattle.  If you want to find Microsoft near you and try that, you could call the Seattle number 855-270-6581 for assistance.

The search for a fix continues.

• Edited by 1 BigGuy Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:09 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:08 PM
  • I thought I should get a substitute backup regime in place while I search for a fix for WHS 2011 Connector. 

I saw that Acronis True Image 2016 is on sale.  I have had good experience with Acronis.  So, I ordered a copy.

• Edited by 1 BigGuy Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:29 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:29 PM
  • After the update my connector also quit. I try reinstalling the connector and it would not reinstall. I pulled up Corena and typed in "reset". I clicked on reset and was able to uninstall the Windows 1607 update. After that I reinstalled the connector. Right now I would rather have the connector working than Windows update.  

I installed the update on a laptop and it did the same thing as the first machine The Launchpad icon it the taskbar was greyed out. I tried restarting again and that did nothing. After about 10 minutes the grey Launchpad icon turned green and started working. I have no idea what happened.

Friday, August 5, 2016 2:27 AM
  • illiam, I feel your pain.  I needed the update because it fixed other WIN10 problems. The minimal cost of Acronis True Image 2016 made it a no brainer replacement.
    Friday, August 5, 2016 4:07 AM
  • On a hunch I tried a different approach. First I uninstalled the WHS connector and then installed the Windows update. After that I attempted to reinstall the WHS connector. It FAILED to install. So I went to Reset The PC and removed the update.
    Friday, August 5, 2016 2:36 PM
  •  WHS2011 is not the only victim, see "Windows 10 Feature Upgrade breaks client connector for Window Server 2012 R2 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Essentials and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials" at https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2016/01/22/windows-10-feature-upgrade-breaks-client-connector-for-window-server-2012-r2-essentials-windows-server-2012-essentials-and-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials/

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Upgraded the third and last PC today to Windows 10 v1607. I had posted the experience with the first two machines previously. To summarize:

• One PC (newer Dell Desktop) was just missing the file "LaunchPadContent.dll". After replacing the file and restarting the Launchpad, everything worked.
    • Second PC (Surface Tablet) was not missing the file but the Launchpad would not communicate with the server. Uninstall/Reinstall of the Connector fixed it.
    • Third PC (older Dell Desktop) was not missing the file but the Launchpad would not communicate with the server. Uninstall/Reinstall of the Connector fixed it.

In the end, all three worked. Common factors for success are that all machines are UEFI with GPT partitions and the Server had the UEFI Hotfix applied, KB2781272. Maybe this means something, maybe not.

Friday, August 5, 2016 10:34 PM
  • Interesting Mark.  My WIN10Pro computer has the older style BIOS.  The Anniversary Update has not arrived at my other two WIN10 computers, one of which has UEFI, yet.
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 4:15 PM
  • 1 BigGuy:

The link you provided about this issue occurring in Server 2012 said that it's a server-side issue there; not a client-side issue. If the same thing is happening on WHS 2011, then it may be a server-side issue also. I wonder if it has something to do with the UEFI Hotfix? Do you have this installed on your server?

Saturday, August 6, 2016 4:24 PM
  • I have thus far moved a total of 3 Windows 7 installs to Windows 10, and have upgraded one Windows 10 to the Anniversary Update.  While each instance brought it's own unique problems, I learned that I should uninstall the WHS connector while still running Windows 7, then re-join the server after the upgrade as if it is a new machine.  In each instance I kept the same computer name, so when I install the connector I get the message about the duplicate computer name.  Just ignore the warning and when you are connected again all of your old backups are still there and usable (if you want a fool-proof rollback option).  I thus far have not had any catastrophic failures other than an issue caused by IPv6, the problem was solved by turning off IPv6. 

As always, perplexed by Windows

• Edited by Ben2ku Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:20 PM spelling
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 1:18 PM
  • FYI, the Event Viewer report is--
    Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector - Update 'Hotfix for Microsoft Windows (KB2781278)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCore.msi.log.
    The log contains this -

Running Task with Id=ClientDeploy.InstallSoftware
    [17132] 160812.064307.6120: ClientSetup: Entering InstallSoftwareTask.Run
    [17132] 160812.064307.6120: ClientSetup: Install package C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi
    [17132] 160812.064307.6160: ClientSetup: Running MSI: C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi  SOFTWARE_NAME="Windows Home Server 2011" ADMIN_USERNAME="Administrator" ADMIN_PASSWORD=******* PATCH="C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\KB2781278-amd64.msp" REBOOT=ReallySuppress
    [17132] 160812.064352.7887: ClientSetup: Running MSI threw an exception:Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.InstallerException: Fatal error during installation.
       at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.Installer.CheckInstallResult(UInt32 ret)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Helper.RunMsi(String msiPathOrProductCode, String logFilePath, Dictionary`2 msiProperties, Boolean install, ProgressChangedEventHandler progressHandler)
    [17132] 160812.064352.7887: ClientSetup: RunMsi returned error: RetCode=1603
    [17132] 160812.064352.7887: ClientSetup: Failed to install C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi
    [17132] 160812.064352.7887: ClientSetup: Exting InstallSoftwareTask.Run
    [17132] 160812.064352.7887: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.InstallSoftware has TaskStatus=Failed

KB27812278 has been installed on WHS2011 to deal with a UEFI based client computer. This client computer has the older version BIOS and therefore that hotfix is unnecessary.

I have tried turning off IPv6 on the server and client.  That had no effect.  I have tried installing the connector from the ADMIN account, failed.  I have tried renaming the client computer, failed.  I have tried checked the task scheduler for errors, none.  I have client filed, folders and registry, no effect, , , , , , , , , ,

Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:23 PM
  • I hate to say it but i did everything you did and more and couldn't solve the problem. I had to take the time with my computers that experienced the same issues and do a clean install of Windows 10. It's really unfortunate that someone in Microsoft that was a part of the WHS program with the right tools could tell us what's happening.

Chuck

Sunday, August 14, 2016 8:37 PM
  • I intentionally forced the upgrade from 1511 to AE, since I WANTED it to break my Connector, since it is easier to answer questions and find answers, if you experience a problem firsthand. Unfortunately - or should I say fortunately - my Connector was not broken after the update.

Self built and upgraded machine has grown from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 1511, then to AE.

Bios is NOT set to UEFI.

So far, so good.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:46 AM
  • The same problem here.

PC (I7, Windows 7 pro -> Win 10 -> anniver.) broke the connector (no UEFI), can´t reinstall connector
    I had the same problems after the Win10 upgrade, but i could fix them. But no there no chance to get it work.

Surface book (I7) + anniversary = no problem at all !!! (but a funny dashboard with very very small text...)

Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Add me to this whs 2011 connector broke same issue uninstalled now won't reinstall after the windows 10 anniversary update. Almost completes but rolls back at the end. 1 pc yet to uninstall the connector from but it is not working no backups, dashboard works, launchpad pulls up and signs in just won't backup anymore. I have a new pc with a fresh install with the 10 anniversary update will try the connector on it soon to see what happens none of these are UEFI.
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:58 PM
  • I've been through this with 3 PC's.  Two were in the Insider program and one was not.  I got help and tried everything in the book to fix the 2 Insider PC's but couldn't find a solution.  I ultimately had to do a clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary and the Connector installed without any problems.  They have been running without any issues since then.  The one PC that was not in the Insider program but was running Windows 10 had the Connector installed on it and it ran fine.  I upgraded it after the Anniversary version was released and the upgrade when without any problems and it's been running fine ever since.  All three PC's are BIOS PC's; not UEFI.  Honestly, I don't think the BIOS/UEFI has anything to do with the issue.  The issue in my case I believe was caused by some change in the builds as a part of the Insider program.

Nobody wants to do a clean install because of all of the applications you have to reinstall.  The good side of that is you wind up with a PC that doesn't have years of changes to it.  So, if you were part of the Insider program I think the only solution anyone has ever found is to do a clean reinstall.  I just wish someone knowledgeable within Microsoft that is very familiar with the Connector code could have dug into this and probably pretty easily could have found what caused the problem.

Chuck

• Proposed as answer by tauntonjohn Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tauntonjohn Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tauntonjohn Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:31 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by tauntonjohn Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:30 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:46 PM
  • I discovered that when uninstalling the WHS 2011 connector, the folder C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server is deleted, but the uninstallation forgot to remove the folder "Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server" found inside the Task Scheduler program. As a result, at least on my machine, all I got when trying to reinstall the connector was a "Path not found" error.

My solution was to go to the "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows" folder and recreate the missing "Windows Server" folder. Now my WHS 2011 backup is working on my Windows 10 Anniversary version.

Arild

• Proposed as answer by uuujjjjj Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Olaf Engelke Friday, February 24, 2017 10:29 PM
    Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:47 AM
  • Arild - I messed about like everyone else.  YOUR SOLUTION FIXED the installation, and then also the backup and Launchpad are now working as before teh AE update.

Thank you.

to clarify:  I did this:

Go to the "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows" folder and recreate the missing "Windows Server" folder.

(I had to click to gain permission to enter the directory, and to see it).

I have a number of other AE updated PC's and they all exhibit this problem.  I'll test this fix on them.

Thanks!

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:14 PM

Luc. 

This fixed it for me too.
    Sunday, February 12, 2017 10:09 PM