Office 2007 product key fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sony VaioFE31M which came with Windows XP Media Center Edition and Office 2003 Trial Edition. Some days ago the trial version expired. I unistalled it and I installed the Office 2007 Small Business Trial Edition. Then I purchased an orginal product key for Office 2007 Small Business from a local dealer. When trying to convert to the full version, the product key seems to be incorrect.

What shall I do?

Friday, June 8, 2007 3:46 PM

Answers

• Pele,

More than likely there is residual left behind by the trial version of Office 2003. I recommend uninstalling both trial versions and start anew using the recently purchased product key. 

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing beta and trial release versions of Office Suite programs.  

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the Microsoft Windows registries:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you and hope your weekend is great.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 8, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Mr. Holms!

However, I must tell you that I have purchased just the product key, not the medialess kit. Is it still OK?

Friday, June 8, 2007 6:06 PM
  •  Pele,

Did you receive the Office 20007 Small Business Edition software, End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), along with the key which was purchased from the local dealer? Please make sure the key purchased was explicitly for Small Business Edition and not another addition. Using other key codes for different versions won't work. Have you received any error codes when trying to install  and/or upgrade? 

Please ensure previous versions of trial Office have been removed by following my previous post. Please re-post with information so we can better assist you. Have a great weekend.

regards,

Stephe Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:33 PM

All replies

• Pele,

More than likely there is residual left behind by the trial version of Office 2003. I recommend uninstalling both trial versions and start anew using the recently purchased product key. 

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing beta and trial release versions of Office Suite programs.  

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the Microsoft Windows registries:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/

Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you and hope your weekend is great.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 8, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Thanks Mr. Holms!

However, I must tell you that I have purchased just the product key, not the medialess kit. Is it still OK?

Friday, June 8, 2007 6:06 PM
  •  Pele,

Did you receive the Office 20007 Small Business Edition software, End User Licensing Agreement (EULA), along with the key which was purchased from the local dealer? Please make sure the key purchased was explicitly for Small Business Edition and not another addition. Using other key codes for different versions won't work. Have you received any error codes when trying to install  and/or upgrade? 

Please ensure previous versions of trial Office have been removed by following my previous post. Please re-post with information so we can better assist you. Have a great weekend.

regards,

Stephe Holm, MS

OGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 8, 2007 8:33 PM