0xC004F033 - product key is not allowed.... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new brand laptop HP Pavilion dv6500 with a Vista Home Premium installed.
    After about 10 days of use, yesterday morning, Vista says that it is not activated any more!!!
    Desktop is not available (the screen is black), and only one dialog window with activation button is on.

When I try to activate Vista with the original key from the bottom of the LapTop I got the error message:
    Code: 0xC004F033
    Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is not allowed to be installed.
    After next try:
    Code: 0x80004005
    Description: Unspecified error

I call to MS support, and they say that this is an ordinary bug with Vista. And this is because of some hotfixes and updates that OS downloading and installing. These updates from Microsoft DEactivate Vista. And it can not be activated again with the same key Sad

HP support says that they have a kind of reparation CD, for this typical problem. CD will be send to me in 10(!) days. And they do not sure that it will help!

What to do?
    Is it possible to save the Vista installation? Should I wait 10 days for that CDs, or is there any faster solutions?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 12:25 PM

Answers

•  MikhailT wrote:

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q  This is NOT my product key!
    I use another key to activate Vista. I use the original key from the bottom of my laptop.

Hi MikhailT,

Yes, a computer that comes with Vista pre-installed comes with 2 product keys OEM SLP and COA SLP

1) OEM SLP: This key come in Vista when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key  (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and see the special instructions and Activates itself. (that's why you did need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side of your computer. It's a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key does require activation, but you must Activate by Phone.

So, as you probably noticed, the motherboard is importent for a OEM SLP key to work. Normally when a Motherboard is replaced by the Manufacturer, they will replace it with another board that has the special instructions. But sometimes that doesn't happen or (in your situation) sometime the interface between Vista and the special Bios instructions doesn't work correctly, this is one of those limited situations that the COA SLP key should be used.

Now, since the slui.exe 3 and slui.exe 4 commands have not worked, we'll try changing the product key (to your COA SLP key) in a diffrent way.

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type:  cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs -ipk then hit the space bar once then type in the Product Key from the sticker on your computer, then hit the Enter key

6) Reboot

If this does not work for you, then my last suggestion would be to open a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:11 PM

All replies

• Restart your computer two (2) times. You should see the activation screen after a couple of reboots and be able to activate the machine by entering the product key.

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Hi Mikhailt,

Would you give the below steps a try?

1) Click the option 'Run with reduced functionality'

2) A internet Browser should come up, type: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe in the browser address bar

3) A window with a black background will come up

4) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

5) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

6) Click the Next button.

7) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

8) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 9)

9) Return to the window with the black background

10) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

11) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

12) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Atomated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

Once completed, you may need to reboot twice.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, November 30, 2007 7:15 PM
  • slui.exe 4 gives me the same window as slui.exe 3
    This window has three options:

The Vista Home Premium product key you typed is invalid for activation.
    - Access with reduced functionality
    - Type a different product key
    - Contact Hewlett Packard

There is no any location drop-down menu in that dialog.

When I try to acivate with "type a different key", Vista reports dialog with error message:
    Code: 0xC004E002
    Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains inconsistant data.

When I try an Automated Activation service the voice ask me for some hash-installation-key that I do not have.
    Microsoft support personal say that my key is registered.

Licensing Service reports:

C:\Windows\system32>net start slsvc
    System error 1816 has occurred.
    Not enough quota is available to process this command.

Genuine Asvantage Diagmostic Tool reports:
    Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c4a8
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    I use another key to activate Vista. I use the original key from the bottom of my laptop.

Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {8B18DCAE-627A-4903-A3E7-63C09EB8B4D9}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Sad

Saturday, December 1, 2007 7:03 PM
  •  MikhailT wrote:

Hi MikhailT,

Yes, a computer that comes with Vista pre-installed comes with 2 product keys OEM SLP and COA SLP

1) OEM SLP: This key come in Vista when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key  (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and see the special instructions and Activates itself. (that's why you did need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side of your computer. It's a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key does require activation, but you must Activate by Phone.

So, as you probably noticed, the motherboard is importent for a OEM SLP key to work. Normally when a Motherboard is replaced by the Manufacturer, they will replace it with another board that has the special instructions. But sometimes that doesn't happen or (in your situation) sometime the interface between Vista and the special Bios instructions doesn't work correctly, this is one of those limited situations that the COA SLP key should be used.

Now, since the slui.exe 3 and slui.exe 4 commands have not worked, we'll try changing the product key (to your COA SLP key) in a diffrent way.

1) Click the option Access computer with reduced functionality

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type:  cscript %windir%\System32\slmgr.vbs -ipk then hit the space bar once then type in the Product Key from the sticker on your computer, then hit the Enter key

6) Reboot

If this does not work for you, then my last suggestion would be to open a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:11 PM