ship with an OEM XP professional license and have the little green
    Microsoft sticker on the side with the key to testify that the machine
    is licensed OEM. We have images of XP professional that we deploy from
    an imaging server.  Can we push down our image of XP professional and
    use the OEM license that came with the system? (Just leave the sticker
    on the machine).

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:07 AM

Answers

• I believe the answer to your question is yes, as long as you are using a volume licensed image of Windows XP Professional, and your IBM PCs are purchased with Windows XP Professional, then you are fine.  I located the following article on MSCOM that has details:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/7/067ff52c-a552-4f6e-852c-03d086b41f68/reimaging.doc

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:18 AM
  • You are free to uninstall/remove any third-party programs or utilities that are not part of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system without jepardizing the Windows XP license.
    Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:14 PM

All replies

• I believe the answer to your question is yes, as long as you are using a volume licensed image of Windows XP Professional, and your IBM PCs are purchased with Windows XP Professional, then you are fine.  I located the following article on MSCOM that has details:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/7/067ff52c-a552-4f6e-852c-03d086b41f68/reimaging.doc

Thanks,

David

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:18 AM
  • THANK YOU for addressing this issue!

Our machines are IBM leased.  When they arrive, each have the same operating system license key.  Before being deployed, minor changes are made by our support team, including removing some peripheral tools, ie, google toolbar.  Does this jeopardize the OEM license?  The Operating System is not removed from the device, but because of this change, there are registry changes which some believe put at risk the OEM license. 

I'm glad to see documentation addressing OEM XP licenses being imaged.  I didn't think doing this allowed us to maintain compliance. Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.  I just want to insure we are doing things correctly.

Thursday, January 4, 2007 6:57 PM
  • You are free to uninstall/remove any third-party programs or utilities that are not part of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system without jepardizing the Windows XP license.
    Thursday, January 4, 2007 7:14 PM