Can't Get Live to Index our Site - Had over 500 pages indexed prior to Live "enhancements" RRS feed

• Question

• Man this is frustrating. Have been back and forth with MSN/Live search techs these past few months and can't get any concrete answers.  The last reply from them told me to come here.  So here I am.  I checked the other posts and it seems others are having problems as well. 

I am already signed up for the webmaster tool.  It shows a total of one (1) page indexed on my site, www.realdealtools.com.  It also shows that my site has not been crawled since 9.17.2007, going on 3-months.  I am sorry but I don't get it.  Before MS made the search change a few months back, realdealtools.com was fully indexed with over 500 entries.  Now it has one paged indexed. 

I have also the webmaster tool and had our robots file checked.  I have made changes based on the results.  I have been writing about this for the past few months to MS to no avail.  I have check your guidelines and made sure my site meets them and have submitted my site as well.  

I checked and Google has over 600 pages indexed for www.realdealtools.com.  Yahoo comes in at over 1,300 pages.

I am just trying to understand what took place and why I can't get our site indexed.  Your review and comments are appreciated.

Steve
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• RealDealTools... Fa Get About It...Many of us are in the same boat. My MSN traffic Stopped Cold at 10 am Pacific Time on Oct 1st. when they flipped the switch to the new Algo. I've posted the problem on this forum but have not read a concrete answer from Live Team.

If you have G traffic...I wouldn't touch a page of your site trying to get on MSN serps. It's probably not your site if it's all white hat, it's a bug in the Algo. Hopefully we'll get some positive news soon (any news on this issue would be appreciated) because judging from the posts on this forum and other forums on the web...this boat is getting mighty full.

Sit tight and hope for the best.

Fish Texas

Thursday, December 6, 2007 8:02 PM
  •  

Our site is in the same boat www.promomanagers.com  and it's not improving.  We're at one indexed page.  When the MSN Bot hit the site it was authenticated and the XML sitemap (compliant) had been submitted two weeks prior and accepted.  I am paying for front page placement on Live search with sometimes deeper landing URLs and still the bot does nothing.  It's scanning on avereage 10-15 pages a day, but they're never getting back to the SERPs.

My posts here rank hire on the Live search results than our site.  Tell me there isn't something horribly wrong with their algorithms that it values a forum web posting over a site with 300 pages?

www.realdealtools.com has almost 700 pages indexed in google, we have approaching 200 in google with dozens appearing each day. Yahoo is somewhere in between.  MSN...has 1?!

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Steve, I would recomend that you work on increasing the number of quality inbound links to your website to improve your ranking and indexing in Live Search. We only show 4 inlinks, and Yahoo doesn't have any:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=%2Blink%3Arealdealtools.com&src=IE-SearchBox

https://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/advsearch?ei=UTF-8&p=http%3A%2F%2Frealdealtools.com

regards,
    nate
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:51 AM
  •  

Nathan, is there a reasoning behind not using the www. on yahoo?  We're only showing 5 links minus the www, 120+ with the www.  Is that part of the problem with Live search...that it's not discerning between www and .?

www.realdealtools.com is the same thing, yahoo shows 520 inlinks to his www. address, 0 into the address without www.

Google has a mechanism for specifying which is the preferred.

I have a hunch we just got to the crux of this problem.

You can run the same tests on www.promomanagers.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:00 AM
  •  

I should also mention..the raw numbers for the last few weeks:

Google 1k visits 500 pages

Yahoo 650 visits (now starting to steadily add indexed pages to the serps each day) 50-70 pages and growing each day

MSN 43 visits  homepage only indexed 1 page

Alexa 107 visits

Gigabot 60 visits

Askjeeves 30 visits

shopwiki 40 visits

The last 4 we never submitted too, they've just started indexing pages on their own.  It's simply improbable that MSN comes to the site each day multiple times, checks the auth file, checks the homepage and leaves.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:15 AM
  • Nate,
    Thanks for the reply.  I will look into this.  However, are you saying that while the big two above you in terms of search have no problem with my site and inbound links but Live Search does?  Before LS made any changes to their search algorithum realdealtools.com was fully indexed with the same inbound links.  Based on your comments, it thus seems that inbound links are the key to being indexed.  Is this the case or is it just a theory?  I see the MSN bot coming to the store but not really pulling any information.  I will post my stats below.  There just seems there is something else out there that is working against realdealtools.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  PromoManagers.com wrote:

I should also mention..the raw numbers for the last few weeks:

Google 1k visits 500 pages

Yahoo 650 visits (now starting to steadily add indexed pages to the serps each day) 50-70 pages and growing each day

MSN 43 visits  homepage only indexed 1 page

Alexa 107 visits

Gigabot 60 visits

Askjeeves 30 visits

shopwiki 40 visits

The last 4 we never submitted too, they've just started indexing pages on their own.  It's simply improbable that MSN comes to the site each day multiple times, checks the auth file, checks the homepage and leaves.

Here are realdealtools.com stats for November 2007. 
    Robots/Spiders visitors  
    20 different robots Hits Bandwidth Last visit
    Unknown robot (identified by 'crawl') 7168+274 210.05 MB 30 Nov 2007 - 23:03
    Googlebot 4423+28 142.77 MB 30 Nov 2007 - 23:54
    Yahoo Slurp 2742+79 83.19 MB 30 Nov 2007 - 23:36
    MSNBot 1147+24 1.00 MB 30 Nov 2007 - 15:16

While I am getting hits from the MSNBot there is very bandwidth.  If I am reading this right, MSN visits (not as often as Google and Yahoo) takes a peak and leaves.  Again, prior to the change we were fully indexed.  Here are the stats for September of 2007.  Quite a difference wouldn't you say?  Almost the same amount of hits from MSN but 37x the bandwidth requirements. 

Robots/Spiders visitors  
    19 different robots Hits Bandwidth Last visit
    Googlebot 7493+28 219.26 MB 30 Sep 2007 - 20:59
    MSNBot 1365+265 37.13 MB 30 Sep 2007 - 23:52
    Yahoo Slurp 627+71 19.15 MB 30 Sep 2007 - 23:23

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:38 PM
  • realdeal I think you missed the point....Live sees only a couple of links into realdealtools.com but sees over 500 into www.realdealtools.com

I think Live's algorithm is choking on the differences.  The fact that Nate specified the .realdeal and not the www.realdeal makes me think that is what the algorithm is doing.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:00 PM
  • @promo,
    Thanks for the followup.  I understand (to some degree) what you are saying.  And you have an explination that seems right to me and requires some follow up from Nate and the Live team.  It just does not add up.  I was looking forward to doing some CPC business with LS but will not even think of it until they can provide some details and index my site.  I look forward to LS reply regarding your theory.

RDT
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 3:28 PM
  •  

Hi All,

I agree to the concern raised in this forum i am too facing the problem in getting my sites indexed in live search engine.

www.azipzap.com has over 950 pages indexed in google and yahoo

www.izip.in has over 600 pages indexed in google and yahoo

But not able to get indexing details from MSN. An advice on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sunday, July 27, 2008 4:07 AM