which license should i use? RRS feed

• Question

•  good evening
    I want to ask that I plan to start my own business and start repairing computers,so many computers that I will repair them need a format.
    I want to format them and install windows 7 professional on them.Moreover,when windows 8 final edition releases,I want to install it on them instead.
    So my question is which license should i use?
    also can I download a windows 7 from internet then activate it using license without the need of the key-product?

thank you
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:50 PM

Answers

• "yzn002" wrote in message news:e9f589d6-7f31-4978-b5e7-c0f409ac7be2...
    good evening
    I want to ask that I plan to start my own business and start repairing computers,so many computers that I will repair them need a format.
    I want to format them and install windows 7 professional on them.Moreover,when windows 8 final edition releases,I want to install it on them instead.
    also can I download a windows 7 from internet then activate it using license without the need of the key-product?

thank you

This is not the place to discuss your business plans - but in general you would only be reinstalling existing operating systems, or upgrade to those systems, in which case the choice is obvious.
    Bear in mind that if you install OEM versions of MS software, YOU become responsible for support of them - so factor that into your pricing.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by yzn002 Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:58 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:20 PM
  • The license you use depends on how many computers you plan to recondition.  If more than 5,000 you should use the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program and if fewer than 5,000 you should use the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher program.  Both are explained at

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/refurbisher_programs.aspx

The licensing guide (pdf) linked at the bottom of that page explains when a new license is required for a refurbished PC.  The licensing type is OEM so you may be required to provide Windows support to your customers.  Please contact the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher program directly for any questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/refurbishedpcs/rrp.aspx

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:57 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "yzn002" wrote in message news:e9f589d6-7f31-4978-b5e7-c0f409ac7be2...
    good evening

thank you

This is not the place to discuss your business plans - but in general you would only be reinstalling existing operating systems, or upgrade to those systems, in which case the choice is obvious.
    Bear in mind that if you install OEM versions of MS software, YOU become responsible for support of them - so factor that into your pricing.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Please visit the Microsoft OEM System Builder website for assistance.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:41 PM
  • The license you use depends on how many computers you plan to recondition.  If more than 5,000 you should use the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program and if fewer than 5,000 you should use the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher program.  Both are explained at

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/refurbisher_programs.aspx

The licensing guide (pdf) linked at the bottom of that page explains when a new license is required for a refurbished PC.  The licensing type is OEM so you may be required to provide Windows support to your customers.  Please contact the Microsoft Registered Refurbisher program directly for any questions.

http://www.microsoft.com/refurbishedpcs/rrp.aspx

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:57 PM
    Answerer