Error Message - "There are File Conflicts" RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the PP1 beta a couple of days ago and since then I have been getting the above error together with the comment:-

To view the file conflicts for the ***** shared folder, click Details.

This then produces

the group or resource is not in the current state to perform the requested operation - filename.exe - folder name

The folder is duplicated and the folder length is less than 256 characters.

This was OK before the install of PP1

What more info do I need to provide?

Alasdair
    Friday, June 13, 2008 4:19 PM

Answers

• Yes - this is something new - as documented in the draft Release Documentation. 

The migrator will also try to migrate files to another hard drive even if duplication is not enabled for a shared folder where the file is located.  The Migrator process moves files off of the primary hard drive onto secondary hard drives and over time fills up the secondary hard drives based on various load balancing algorithms.  If a file is opened with an exclusive lock for more thna 24 hours, than the migrator will complain after 24 hours (20-24 passes of the migrator, since the migrator runs, and then sleeps for 60 minutes) that the "file is open" so that it could not do anything with it.  

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  Mike May wrote:

So... if I shutdown squeezecenter and let the migrator move it to a secondary drive and then start squeezecenter back up, therefore locking the file open, will WHS complain about the open file on the secondary drive?

Let me try to explain this... Even if a file is duplicated, so that there are 2 copies, only 1 copy will be open (the primary shadow).  If an application opens a file with an exclusive lock and that lock is open for over 24 hours, then you will see File Conflicts shown in the Windows Home Server Console that tell you that a "file is open"

The SDK for Windows Home Server that is being updated for Power Pack 1 will document this behaviour and applications written for Windows Home Server will have to follow the guidance in the SDK to enable the Migrator service to do its job, such that a user will not see these "file is open" file conflict messages.

If you load applications on your home server, that are not designed or tested on home server, that keep files open with an exclusive lock, then you will see "file is open" conflict messages reported in the Console.  If you close the file, and let a migration pass occur, and then re-open the file, and the file is opened with an exclusive lock - you will not see a new conflict message appear until 24 hours passes.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:51 AM

All replies

• PLEASE file a bug report.  It is clearly spelled out in the Release Documentation - pages 21-22 of what you need to do.  The team needs your logs from your home server.  Screenshots of the file conflicts screen is helpful too!!

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:30 PM
  • From the Release Documentation : 

Submitting Feedback

In order for us to gather feedback on the issues you encounter while using the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta, it is important that the feedback is sent to the right place. 

Please submit all bug reports for this release using the following bug reporting form on MS Connect, via the http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer web site.

WHS Power Pack 1 Public Beta Bug Report Form

Please make sure that your bug reports are filed using Connect.  This is the only way that the Home Server team can track and subsequently fix any issues that you bring up.

Every submitted bug report should include accompanying CAB numbers so that the Home Server team can look at the logs and try to help resolve the issue.  Depending on whether you are experiencing an issue related to your home server, your home computer, or both, you need to submit the logs and the CAB numbers for your home server, your home computer, or both.  If you are unsure of the root cause of the issue, please include the logs and the CAB numbers for both your home server and your home computer when submitting a bug report.

In order to obtain a CAB number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

Windows Home Server Toolkit installation

1.       From any home computer, download the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE10C0E9-2D46-4770-91FE-6B84AE06F960&displaylang=en.

2.       Run WHSToolkit.msi to install the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” on your home computer.

3.       Click on Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt to open up a command prompt.

4.       Type the following command (including the quotation marks) and press ENTER.  This will launch the Connector Troubleshooter tool

·         "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe" -a

5.       From the “Server” menu on the Connector Troubleshooter, select “Publish Server add-in”.  This will start the “Environment” dialog box.

6.       Close the Connector Troubleshooter tool.

7.       Type your Windows Home Server password.

8.       Open your Windows Home Server Console, go to Setting->Add-ins, and click the Available tab.

9.       You should see the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” in the list of available add-ins, select it and click Install to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on your Home Server.

10.    Restart the Windows Home Server Console – A Toolkit page is now available under Settings.

How to get the CAB number on your home server

1.     Open the Windows Home Server Console

2.       Go to Settings->Toolkit->Support tab, and click the Send->Collect and Send to upload the logs for your home server to Microsoft.

3.       Write down the CAB number and include the CAB number in your Connect bug report

How to get the CAB number on your home computer

1.       On your home computer, go to Start Menu->All Programs->Windows Home Server Toolkit->Error Reporting

2.       Type y to send the home computer’s log files to Microsoft

3.       Write down the CAB number and include the CAB number in your Connect bug report

4.       Press ENTER to quit

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Todd, I've posted that as a sticky. Smile
    Friday, June 13, 2008 4:54 PM
  • Do I need to do a bug report, I have been testing my WHS since installing PP1 and today had the File Conflict message, I had added an extra HDD and to try and get some data onto it had switched duplication on on one of the shared folder and also started copying about 4GB of movies across. The icon in the system tray of my home computer went orange and on opening the console had the error message that there was a file conflict with a PDF file, on trying to open the PDF from my home computer it froze and I had to reboot and on opening the console again the health was green and the conflict had gone the PDF now being accessable. The PDF does have a long file name, about 75 characters and is about 25MB in size.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:05 AM
  • FYT,

All my file conflicts have been with Microsof file names too.  Nothing else. If I reboot, the file conflict goes away but then a day or two later there is a completely different conflict.

Today, it's a copy of Robocopy in my software share that has the conflict (UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe). Reboot WHS and it goes away.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:17 AM
  • @judge

What type of conflict?  "File is Open" or some other reason.  If some other reason, than "file is open", then please file a bug report, include a screenshot of the file conflict screen and include your server logs

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 1:19 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

@judge

What type of conflict?  "File is Open" or some other reason.  If some other reason, than "file is open", then please file a bug report, include a screenshot of the file conflict screen and include your server logs

T.Headrick,

Someone else aready filed a bug report on this on 6/11/08 ID#350578 .  I validated the bug and added my comments with the description, comments, reproduction and expected results. Included both cab file numbers and asked to be contacted if screenies or new bug report is required. Let me know if you want me to file another bug reoprt.....

Additional info:
    The files are not open or being used at all. They just come up randomly every day or so. It's always different, but file or folder contains the name of MS products i.e. MS Server 2003 or MS Robocopy. Also, all files so far have been .exe

The console icon has the Network Alert. Open console, and network health icon and it says, "There are file conflicts," "To view the file conflicts for the Software shared folder, click details."

Info in the three tabs as follows:
    • Conflict: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.
    • Name: UtilitySpotlight2006_11.exe
    I'll make the screenies and send the bug report tonight.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 9:05 PM
  • The product team never sees the comments attached to another bug submitted through Connect. 

Please submit a separate bug so it will be triaged.  The team, as documented in the Release Documentation, is very interested in any File Conflict notifications that are something other than "File is Open".

Thanks in advance for filing a separate bug report !!!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:01 PM
  • T.Headrick,

Heck, I can't even find the bug report I listed above earlier..LOL.

Ok, I submitted an official bug with description, reproduction, cab files and 2 screenies of the console warnings.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Thank you for submitting a great bug report with Screenshots, a CAB file and a detailed description on what you think the issue is ...

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:00 AM
  • T.Headrick,

Bug Report Conclusion:
    MS replied and closed the bug. They came to the same conclusion I suspected...that AVG 7.5 Network Edition AV may have quarantined the shadow copy of a file, which triggered the UI Warning (file confilct) after installling PP1 Beta.

So, now it looks like I and others using non-WHS AV's may have to switch to Avast AV for WHS after the PP1 upgrade.  I'll wait unitl after the PP1 Beta to see if anything changes, as this file conflict happens only for files AVG decides to quarantine, which does happen occasionally...it's touchy like that.

I did not post a reply to MS, did not want to bother them, but I had two questions.
    (1) I've been running AVG Network Edition since last July with not one issue. Why would this now be a problem after installing PP1?  Can one blame some change in PP1 or the fact that AVG is not designed for WHS?  If the later, then I'm going to have to spring again for AV. I guess Avast....errrrr.

(2) The bug was closed and labled as "External." What does "external" mean? External cause (i.e. AVG) and not related to WHS/PP1?

Here  is the final MS post to the bug report:

Connect ID# 351642
    Connect Link Here

Thanks again for submitting the feedback item with client logs, screen shots, great repro steps and very detailed information. It was very helpful.

After reviewing the logs and screen shots, it has been determined that AVG antivirus may have quarantined our primary shadow, causing migrator to complain in the UI of a missing primary shadow.

Due to this, I will be closing this issue as external.
    Thanks again for the excellent feedback item!
    -Jonas
    Posted by Microsoft on 6/18/2008 at 4:46 PM

Hope my bug report helps others that may incounter the same thing in the future......

Thursday, June 19, 2008 12:50 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

The product team never sees the comments attached to another bug submitted through Connect. 

Please submit a separate bug so it will be triaged.  The team, as documented in the Release Documentation, is very interested in any File Conflict notifications that are something other than "File is Open".

Thanks in advance for filing a separate bug report !!!

So the "File is Open" conflict is something that is temporary or will I have that alert and the related health warning all the time? I get that same warning regarding squeezecenter.exe and mysqld.exe that someone else mentioned.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:24 PM
  •  judgeschambers wrote:

I did not post a reply to MS, did not want to bother them, but I had two questions.
    (1) I've been running AVG Network Edition since last July with not one issue. Why would this now be a problem after installing PP1?  Can one blame some change in PP1 or the fact that AVG is not designed for WHS?  If the later, then I'm going to have to spring again for AV. I guess Avast....errrrr.

(2) The bug was closed and labled as "External." What does "external" mean? External cause (i.e. AVG) and not related to WHS/PP1?

(1)  The Server Storage functionality and Drive Extender uses a different way to manage files on a server.  It uses reparse points, sparse files and a given file can point to 1 or 2 files that actually contain the data (you will have 2 files on 2 separate hard drives if duplication is enabled for the shared folder that contains the file) .  The files that contain the reparse points are known as "tombstones" and the files that contain the data are known as "shadow files".  The Windows Home Server team works with our partners to ensure that they understand this new architecture and that they are testing their software solutions with home servers that have multiple hard drives and a lot of data.

(2)  The reason "external" is used to denote that the Windows Home Server development team can do nothing for this bug report as the problem has been determined to be with something that is "external" to the Windows Home Server software.  In this case, the "external" problem is a 3rd party software solution.  In cases like this, the partner team is notified and they in turn will be contacting this partner to notify them of the errors that have been reported to the team.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:35 PM
  •  Mike May wrote:

So the "File is Open" conflict is something that is temporary or will I have that alert and the related health warning all the time? I get that same warning regarding squeezecenter.exe and mysqld.exe that someone else mentioned.

@Mike,

In the Release Documentation you will find the answer, on page 3. 

·         Home Server proactively checks the health of all files stored in the shared folders during a migration pass. If any issues are discovered, a yellow health notification will be sent containing a detailed conflict reason for each file:

1.       Files that remain open for more than 24 hours are reported with a conflict of “File is open” as the Migrator needs the files to be closed to allow duplication to occur.

2.       Please report any file conflicts other than the “File is open” through http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer as a bug.  The Windows Home Server team is interested in any file conflicts that you may see.

If a file is kept open "forever" than the Drive Extender migrator process cannot make a 2nd copy of the file on a 2nd hard drive.  Some applications by 3rd parties will need to be adjusted to deal with the situation where they are maintaining an exclusive lock on an open file, such that no other process can access the file.  

Hope that helps.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 2:40 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
     Mike May wrote:

@Mike,

In the Release Documentation you will find the answer, on page 3. 

·         Home Server proactively checks the health of all files stored in the shared folders during a migration pass. If any issues are discovered, a yellow health notification will be sent containing a detailed conflict reason for each file:

1.       Files that remain open for more than 24 hours are reported with a conflict of “File is open” as the Migrator needs the files to be closed to allow duplication to occur.

2.       Please report any file conflicts other than the “File is open” through http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer as a bug.  The Windows Home Server team is interested in any file conflicts that you may see.

If a file is kept open "forever" than the Drive Extender migrator process cannot make a 2nd copy of the file on a 2nd hard drive.  Some applications by 3rd parties will need to be adjusted to deal with the situation where they are maintaining an exclusive lock on an open file, such that no other process can access the file.  

Hope that helps.

That does help. I never got this health warning prior to PP1, is this something new? Also, item #1 above mentions 'duplication'... I do not have any duplication options turned on so I assume this refers to something different.

Thanks...
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Yes - this is something new - as documented in the draft Release Documentation. 

The migrator will also try to migrate files to another hard drive even if duplication is not enabled for a shared folder where the file is located.  The Migrator process moves files off of the primary hard drive onto secondary hard drives and over time fills up the secondary hard drives based on various load balancing algorithms.  If a file is opened with an exclusive lock for more thna 24 hours, than the migrator will complain after 24 hours (20-24 passes of the migrator, since the migrator runs, and then sleeps for 60 minutes) that the "file is open" so that it could not do anything with it.  

Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Yes - this is something new - as documented in the draft Release Documentation. 

So... if I shutdown squeezecenter and let the migrator move it to a secondary drive and then start squeezecenter back up, therefore locking the file open, will WHS complain about the open file on the secondary drive?
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Yes - this is something new - as documented in the draft Release Documentation. 

Ok, this explains a lot then for both of our problems.  There have been some overall changes that are affecting this new conflict warning. I too do not have duplication turned on just yet  nor have I had this warning before PP1. But hey, the benefits outweigh the conflict warning...LOL.

I may just tolerate the warning, when they come up, until after the beta or my AV license runs out next year...LOL.

Thanks for the excellent help and hard work, Todd!
    Friday, June 20, 2008 1:09 AM
  • T.Headrick.

This poster is experiencing the same thing as I, but with the Avast AV. He has filed a bug on connect too.

Check thread here.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 1:19 AM
  •  Mike May wrote:

Let me try to explain this... Even if a file is duplicated, so that there are 2 copies, only 1 copy will be open (the primary shadow).  If an application opens a file with an exclusive lock and that lock is open for over 24 hours, then you will see File Conflicts shown in the Windows Home Server Console that tell you that a "file is open"

The SDK for Windows Home Server that is being updated for Power Pack 1 will document this behaviour and applications written for Windows Home Server will have to follow the guidance in the SDK to enable the Migrator service to do its job, such that a user will not see these "file is open" file conflict messages.

If you load applications on your home server, that are not designed or tested on home server, that keep files open with an exclusive lock, then you will see "file is open" conflict messages reported in the Console.  If you close the file, and let a migration pass occur, and then re-open the file, and the file is opened with an exclusive lock - you will not see a new conflict message appear until 24 hours passes.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:51 AM
  • As judgeschambers has pointed out there is a similar thread running under the Anti Virus posts.

As I don't really see it as an AV issue so I want to bring it to light here. I think the AV is just highlighting the real problem.

I didn't have any viruses (or is that virii) on my system according to Avast when I installed PP1. For two days after installing PP1 I still had a single disk system and no viruses. Then I brought on line the other 4 disks that had been waiting for a fix to the corruption issue and added them to the pool. The next day Avast finds 15 viruses in files that didn't have them until that point. Console goes orange with two of the virus identified files as "There are file conflicts". They were not open files. Unlike some people I have been able to delete these two files. They couldn't be moved or copied due to "invalid file handles". Now they are deleted the console is green again. I downloaded one of the files again and put it right back where I had deleted the old one from. No issues wih it. Therefore, it appears to me that the process of migrating these files has corrupted them triggering the AV response. Of course I could be wrong!

There is a bug report filed on connect and I will update it with the information I found last night.

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Dave,

I that is exactly what I was thinking too. Todd did say they changed Migrator to behaive differently, so that is obviously the reason, but is it a fault or a necessary result.  But since I posted the link from connect above where another WHS user with Avast is having the same issue. 

I've had multi discs all this time with duplication turned off.  I install PP1 and all of a sudden my AVG AV is picking up viruses that were never there before and triggering the "File Conflict."  Now, I don't have to delete the file, but simply restore the file from quarentine and then reboot WHS. Then the conflict goes away.  And it does not come back with the same file. Hmmmmm. A bit fishy.

I'm not saying that there is a huge problem, but rather an incovienence that I think Connect needs to look at a bit closer before blaming the AV.... JMHO.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:50 AM
  • Dave,

I also posted this on you bug report:

What I'm wondering is this>  Is Migrator/Demigrator moving files which triggers the AV to think that the file is acting out on its own like a virus? Or is it during the AV's weekly scan while Migrator is working too that is triggering the Virus flag and then the file conflict flag. I'm going to test it and do a manual scan and see if I get a flag of both sorts.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:59 AM
  • I have exactly the same error message after installing PP1. However, in my case the folder is not duplicated. If I try to copy one of the files for which this error is reported I get the error "Invalid File Handle". I also get this error for all other files in the folder & sub folders.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Ditto on the same issue as above poster. I had kept my ripped MP3 library and Photo Library off the server since this corruption bug was reported last fall. I installed PP1 Beta, then copied over my files again. I do *not* have folder duplication turned on. Within a few days, I have been getting these File Conflict warnings on random pictures and MP3s. I have not opened any of these since copying them over. Oh, and I copied them using SyncBack, not via explorer.

At one point I attempted to manually remove the corrupted files JPEGs, then copy over the backups that I have. WHS rebooted, then did a chkdsk during bootup! On top of that, I have been having failed backups on my computers.

For the corrupted MP3s, if you look at them on the server via explorer, they are indeed corrupted as all artist and album information is missing. Meanwhile, if I go back to the original backup source, the files are just fine. As a result, WHS is without a doubt actively corrupting files that I have not touched and don't have duplicated!!

I would like to file a bug, but for some reason timewarner prevents me from logging into the connect site! On top of this, I cannot get a CAB number as all of the methods outlined in the thread on this subject lead to an error message.

I only hope that I can get rid of this PP1, and go back to the stable system I had before. Argh...

Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Bond,

Your info on your "corruption" is a bit vague. You should supply some more details.

I have RoadRunner (at Time Warner Co.)  too and I'm unaware that an ISP can block a certain domain name.  I'd try to log in again. I use FireFox with Connect and have no issues.

If you installed the WHS Tool Kit on one of your main PC's and then installed it on WHS....the cab file creation you need to do for both the client pc and WHS is quite easy.  Again, we need more detail as to why you are getting this error message. Did you install the Tool Kit on the client and WHS?  How about typing what the errror message is?  What steps are you taking to get to this point? etc.

Install the tool kit if not done. Create the cab files for both WHS and one of the client pcs. Take screen shots of your errors. THEN go to connect and submit a bug report. No sense in creating a report without all the other parts needed.

Overall, there is a lot of PP1 issues and data corruption issues mentioned, but not a lot of details so we can assist you.

BTW----You can uninstall PP1.
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:59 PM
  • First off, connecting to "Connect". I have had issues with livesearch cashback, and there were some settings i needed for timewarner to get to their live.com site. When I goto the connect site for instruction on how to perform bugs, it defaults me to a guest. I click login, then it goes thru a loop of trying to connect, but then just fails. However, I just tried again, and it's okay now. Perhaps the service was temporarily down.

I have installed the toolkit on both the WHS and on my computer. On my computer, I have uninstalled, then reinstalled the toolkit. I can run it in diagnostics mode just fine. When I try kick off "Error Reporting", it opens up a DOS command window and starts to collect data. It gives me the: Please "Y" to continue. Press "N" to cancel. I enter Y. A pop-up windows occurs, telling me that "A diagnostic report has been generated for this home computer ...". I click the button "Send Error Report". Back in the DOS CMD window, it errors out saying "Failed to send Watson report. The report can be found at C:\Docum...\Temp\talq.zip" Finished. Please press ENTER to quit.. THere is no CAB number to write down.

Meanwhile, if I try to Collect and Send the log file from a RDP into the WHS, I get a TALQ threw exception Could not find file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\temp\1\CabId.log.

Where do I find this supposed CAB number for my installation?! I could just take the zip file and send it via the alternate method, but I'd like to figure out why I can't do it w/ the toolkit installed.

Meanwhile, back the corruption bug. I get these File Conflict errors, and when I investigate, it is some MP3 files for a ripped CD. only 1/4 of the files that are in the folder are listed. I use explorer to look at the files, and they don't appear to have artist/album information on the MP3 tag. So they do seem corrupted. I try to delete them, but am told that I cannot, becuase the file is corrupted. If i restart the WHS, CHKDSK starts up to check for errors. I notice it complaining about files being corrupted, and it gives some ID number as  a tag. what is interesting is that it's same number of files that are reported as in error by chkdisk as WHS reported as File Conflicts. Coincidence? Upon rebooting, the files are now gone, as evidently I was able to remove them, though WHS told me that I couldn't. I have had this happen on three occasions, where random files have been reported as in conflict, even though I did nothing with them. I have also noticed random restarts of WHS. This only started after I installed PP1. It's been stable for months now.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:39 PM
  • Bond,

Ok, thanks for the additional info. Sounds like the file conflict is an "open file" type as it will not allow you to do anything with the file. Also, as like mine, if you reboot the conflict goes away.  My issue was not an open file conflict, but rather my AV moving a shadow copy of the original file from the share that caused the conflict. I can reboot and it would all go away. Heck I even restored the file from the AV quarantine, reboot, rerun the AV, find the same "viruses" and then no conflict this time around. Hmmm..go figure.

T.Headrick or Ken will have to advise you further with getting the tool kit to work and or finding an alternate file to send in. Out of my range.... Typically, once you run the diagnotic you will get a window that pops up at the very end that clearly states something like, "Cab File 4987616." So, you know it when you see it.... It's not hidden or anything. 

As for the corruption, I'm not yet convinced that it is part of WHS and the corruption bug.  Not yet anyway. Lets see what an MVP can give you to work through getting the Tool Kit to work properly.  That will tell them alot more than what we type out here..

Ken or Todd, can you lend a hand?
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:42 PM
  • I have filed a bug report last week about this too.

I have a duplicated shared folder that I use as a repository for installation files for various hardware and software packages. One of these is installation files for a Canon Scanner. I also use Avast AV.

Pre-PP1 I had no issues with this configuration.

Since I upgraded to PP1 I have been having the file conflict error as a lot of people here. The files concerned are text (readme) files but I can't delete them. They were not and never would have been opened from the server as the scanner is currently not in use.

I have today disabled duplication on the shared folder and rebooted the server.

I'll monitor the situation for a few days and report back.

Regards,

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  Tony Brookes wrote:

I have today disabled duplication on the shared folder and rebooted the server.

I'll monitor the situation for a few days and report back.

Regards,

I will be curious to see the results, as in my case I didn't have folder duplication turned on. Nor do I have any AV SW installed. In order to test things, and to verify that it's not a hardware problem with my home built computer, I have uninstalled PP1. It's only been a day now, but I no longer have any File Conflict, reboot or backup failed issues.

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:42 PM
  • It's only been a few hours but no File Conflicts with duplication turned off so far.

Avast AV has no quarantined files so it's not AV related on my machine.

More tomorrow once 24 hours has passed!

Monday, June 23, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Just to clarify:

I never had duplication turned on for these files.

I had no problem of file conficts with PP1 until I expanded to a multidisk system. (Single disk prior to PP1)

I had no problems Pre-PP1 (All these files have been on the system and virus free long before PP1)

I have not had any file conflicts since the first day. All the damage appears to have been done on day one (Adding 4 drives to make it a 5 disk system).

None of my files were "open".  My error details were "The Group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation"

I couldn't move or copy the WHS flaggd files due to "invalid Handles". I could however delete them. I also put the files back afterwards and they have not been flagged as infected this time.

The extent of the damage is unknown. Only two files were flagged by WHS due to the AV picking up on the corruption and trying to fix the problem. 13 other files were flagged that day by the AV but did not cause a WHS error message. Many others may be corrupted in a way that doesn't raise the interest of an AV scan.

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Well, 24 hours on and no conflicts being reported by the console (duplication off on the offending Shared Folder).

That was the good news....

Still can't delete the two offending text files via the network - Error message: -

"Cannot delete <filename>: The name of the file cannot be resolved by the system"

That's the bad news....

I'll leave duplication off for another 24 hours and see if the files can be deleted again. If not, I'll try locally on the server. If not, I'll ask again here! ;-)

Other than that server's working fine! :roll:

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:10 PM
  • thanks for the update Tony.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Well they're back! :-(

The server happily reported today there are File Conflicts again. Same two text files as usual....

This is without any changes since disabling duplication nearly 2 days ago.

Anyone any thoughts on how to get rid of the two offending files?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 3:23 PM
  • I am having the same problem, allbeit mine seems a slightly different flavour.

I get the same message as everyone else, but the file in question is D@24.zip, which resides in a ...\%USERNAME%\Recycler\some long string of numbers

I have tried rebooting the server etc. and have not got the message to go away. This did not happen before PP1.

I will get around to doing the logs and Connect tonight.

I have Avast WHS on my server for AV.
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:04 PM
  • I have successfully deleted the two offending items by rebooting the machine with my Paragon Partition Manager Emergency Boot CD.

It reported no Partition problems nor found any file errors on checking.

It does have the facility to browse the volume on the disk and it allowed me to delete the two text files.

Rebooted server and health of system is Green. I will keep duplication off for another 24 hours and then re-enable if no conflicts show up.

So in my eyes it's not related to AV services but something that happens when PP1 is installed. Remember these weren't used files, they were installation readme files for an old scanner I have. Nothing came up prior to PP1 - must have some relation to the issues.

HTH

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:01 AM
  • I have seen two different variations on "File Conflicts" (one was the "resource" one and one was "corrupted" or similar on multiple files each and the "resource" one keeps coming back on four or five different files as time goes on (and after a server reboot or whatever). These are files that were put out there shortly before PP1 and have never been touched since. There is NO AVware involved/installed. I have opened a separate Connect case. No feedback from "inside" yet.

Oh, and I have a "corruption" case open and one on the SVC service crashing/restarting repeatedly.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:29 PM
  • Update on my conflict.  I restored my quarentined files, rebooted WHS and the conflice was gone.  A few days later, my AVG AV ran and quarantined the same file the caused the conflict.  Bam, conflict warning is back again.

Wish I could remember the other two files that caused a conflict before this file. So far, mine have been .exe files. No pics or mp3's.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:02 AM
  • Well I've had a few days now with no file conflicts!

Today I've re-enabled Duplication on the Shared Folder. We'll see how it goes.

My issues were probably a freak that occured during the installation of PP1 and it somehow corrupted two unused text files. I can't think of any other explanation. Not AV related that's for sure.

Good luck with your (possibly related) issues guys....

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:16 PM
  • Well I have been reading all the posts with extreme interest as I to have now seen the "error" message and of all things it is for a "chm" ebook file in a folder. I too am using Avast and I immediately before even reading the forum, thought well maybe it found a virus and with the PP1 it's not reporting it correctly. So I just went out and deleted the file - wasn't important. Thinking that would clean things up - nope. Still reports the "file conflict". No big deal other than the fact that no where does Microsoft tell you how to resolve such an error except for one scenario. I am not using Folder duplication.

Under "Shared Folders" it kept telling me that the file and that there was some kind of failure that needed to be "checked". Well what tools are in place to check an error? I couldn't find any. So I went and did a repair of my backup database just for grins, and after a few minutes all the messages about the error seem to just go away. Really weird. Almost wish I saved a copy of the file to put back on and see I incurred the same issues.
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 6:11 AM
  • It would be my pleasure to do this but unfortunately it's not available in 64bit

T. Headrick wrote:

From the Release Documentation : 

Submitting Feedback

In order for us to gather feedback on the issues you encounter while using the Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 Public Beta, it is important that the feedback is sent to the right place. 

Please submit all bug reports for this release using the following bug reporting form on MS Connect, via the http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer web site.

WHS Power Pack 1 Public Beta Bug Report Form

Please make sure that your bug reports are filed using Connect.  This is the only way that the Home Server team can track and subsequently fix any issues that you bring up.

Every submitted bug report should include accompanying CAB numbers so that the Home Server team can look at the logs and try to help resolve the issue.  Depending on whether you are experiencing an issue related to your home server, your home computer, or both, you need to submit the logs and the CAB numbers for your home server, your home computer, or both.  If you are unsure of the root cause of the issue, please include the logs and the CAB numbers for both your home server and your home computer when submitting a bug report.

In order to obtain a CAB number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

Windows Home Server Toolkit installation

1.       From any home computer, download the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE10C0E9-2D46-4770-91FE-6B84AE06F960&displaylang=en.

2.       Run WHSToolkit.msi to install the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” on your home computer.

3.       Click on Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt to open up a command prompt.

4.       Type the following command (including the quotation marks) and press ENTER.  This will launch the Connector Troubleshooter tool

·         "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\Toolkit\ConnectorTroubleshooter.exe" -a

5.       From the “Server” menu on the Connector Troubleshooter, select “Publish Server add-in”.  This will start the “Environment” dialog box.

6.       Close the Connector Troubleshooter tool.

7.       Type your Windows Home Server password.

8.       Open your Windows Home Server Console, go to Setting->Add-ins, and click the Available tab.

9.       You should see the “Windows Home Server Toolkit” in the list of available add-ins, select it and click Install to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on your Home Server.

10.    Restart the Windows Home Server Console – A Toolkit page is now available under Settings.

How to get the CAB number on your home server

1.     Open the Windows Home Server Console

2.       Go to Settings->Toolkit->Support tab, and click the Send->Collect and Send to upload the logs for your home server to Microsoft.

How to get the CAB number on your home computer

1.       On your home computer, go to Start Menu->All Programs->Windows Home Server Toolkit->Error Reporting

2.       Type y to send the home computer’s log files to Microsoft

4.       Press ENTER to quit

Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:38 PM
  • Friday, July 11, 2008 12:34 AM
  •  *** Watson wrote:

I have seen two different variations on "File Conflicts" (one was the "resource" one and one was "corrupted" or similar on multiple files each and the "resource" one keeps coming back on four or five different files as time goes on (and after a server reboot or whatever). These are files that were put out there shortly before PP1 and have never been touched since. There is NO AVware involved/installed. I have opened a separate Connect case. No feedback from "inside" yet.

Oh, and I have a "corruption" case open and one on the SVC service crashing/restarting repeatedly.

This seems very similar to my situation. NO AV on WHS and File Conflicts with .avi and .mp3. I've filed a CAB but I didn't see ***'s connect case just the similar one mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Rebooting makes the error go away until other files show up. This is definitely a PP1 issue and not an "external" issue soley isolated to Avast!.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:56 PM
  • I installed PP1 today (from microsoft download as in not the beta version) and ever since have had this error with 1 .mp3 file that had been sat there happily for months. I decided to delete this file earlier today to see if that made any difference but since then I have restarted the server 5 or more times and this error is still there!

EDIT: Now it seems a .pdf file is giving an erorr too - "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

I have not opened or touched this .pdf file for weeks....

Any ideas?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Did you try this?
    http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/

Works really well to delete those file conflicts
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I just tried this and there is nothing in the file when I follow this instruction:

"Open the WHScleanup.cmd file in Notepad or a text editor and examine the contents"

I have now removed the offending file from the server and will try restarting to see if anything has changed this time...

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:58 PM