Thanks all! RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks guys for all the help! Is attending a school or class the only way to obtain the education necessary for a Microsoft cert? Books/manuals, etc...

It seems I can purchase eStudying material for CompTIA A+ that's online based which is the way I'd want to go for Microsoft certifications.

Thanks all!

P.S. if what I just asked above is contained in a link in a reply, please just ignore this post as I haven't clicked the links yet :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello all,

I've been in IT for over a decade. I wasn't able to complete high school and due to my business I'm unable to obtain a GED or high school diploma.

I mainly specialize in computer repair at a hardware level and software level, but also want to become proficient in networking (residential and small business).

What specific certification would I need for hardware (desktop, laptop), software (OS = Win XP, Vista, 7), and networking?

I hear that I need a Microsoft A+ Certification or Cisco A+ Certification for networking, but what about hardware/software?

My wife was a network program manager for Microsoft for nearly a decade and she knows a lot, I want to be able to learn what she knows, but she has been out of the loop for many years. She also does not know what certifications I would need.

I ask because currently I run a home based computer repair business for residential and small business clients and want to better myself and become more knowledgeable and efficient at completing projects quicker, easier and more professionally before I open a retail location for my growing business.

• Merged by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:24 AM Same question
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Hi,

if you want to become network enginner then CCNA Course is best. check below link for CCNA Course Details.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

Regards

Olivia

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:04 PM
  • You still should be able to achive a high school GED, I would contact your regional school district and contact them.  By getting that you could also open up doors to your local community college for continuing education classes that are geared tword IT.

:P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:25 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mr. Wharty Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry all.  I merged the two questions by the OP however I used the wrong parent thread when I did it so the title of the original question has been lost.

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Jeff, I thought I was the n00b :-P
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:56 AM
  • I'm a noob moderator :-)

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark answered if I've answered your question and vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:58 AM