GPT for WHS BackUp RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to add an esata port multiplier with about 3TB configured as a single large drive (3, 1 TB drives) to backup my WHS shared folders as part of SERVERBACKUP . I have PP1 installed. I will prbably use a softRAID config utility to concatenate or JBOD those 3 drives. My question is: Would WHS accept this >2TB hard drive and allow me to add it as a single drive to SERVERBACKUP. Put another way, does WHS support GPT for > 2TB for SERVERBACKUP. I know Server 2003 SP1 and Vista support GPT but am not sure if WHS support it. Thanks 
    Medhat
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:08 PM

Answers

• You can give it a try, but typically, Windows Home Server doesn't accept software RAID. Whatever you would see in Disk Management for the disks is what Windows Home Server will see and use; for software RAID that's normally individual disks. As for GPT, you can't use a GPT disk in the storage pool (because WHS will reformat it as MBR). But if you don't tell WHS to format the backup disk, I don't see why you couldn't use a GPT disk in that role.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:02 AM

All replies

• You can give it a try, but typically, Windows Home Server doesn't accept software RAID. Whatever you would see in Disk Management for the disks is what Windows Home Server will see and use; for software RAID that's normally individual disks. As for GPT, you can't use a GPT disk in the storage pool (because WHS will reformat it as MBR). But if you don't tell WHS to format the backup disk, I don't see why you couldn't use a GPT disk in that role.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:02 AM
  • I received my port multiplier and the software together with the esata adapter board. It works, I put several esata drives, concatenated them to in the softwate to 2.7 TB. In the diskmanagement I rt clicked and converted to GPT (amazing that the choice is right there), quick formated the partition,  and the entire drive showed up in WHS console as one drive F, the letter I gave it. As I had planned I added it to the server backup and started the share folders backup process. It was never my intention to add it to the storage pool and there was not point in doing a GPT then have the storage pool undo it.

I searched hard to find if WHS support GPT and was unable to find an answer. Everyone is obsessed with the way WHS manages the storage pool. There is however other funtionalilty that WHS supports and that is backing itself up. It does make sense that since WHS allows for partitons larger than 2TB for storage it should allow for the same functionality for backing up.. And it does. 
    Medhat
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:45 PM