How to do a WHS 2011 Reinstall and save client backups & folders? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been having issues with my WHS 2011 install in which I will be locked out from accesses for chunks of time. I can access the server folders, but I can't open the dashboard or RDP. This happens whether inside my home network, or from remotely. I have gone thru log files, but not come up with any definitive answer of what has gone wrong.

I have tried a bunch of things, but I am tired of messing with it, so just want to do a fresh server install. I realize that I will have to setup alot of stuff again, but I would like to keep my client backups. Is this possible, and if so, what is the best methodology to do this? I am confident that I can maintain my data, as it is sitting on a set of drives separate from the OS install drive (ie. separate from the C: or D: partitions). The data sitting one some drives using motherboard RAID, and on a set of RAID5 drives using a Highpoint RAID controller.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:52 PM

All replies

• Shouldn't be a problem - only C: & D: will be lost (primary drive) but data (if there is any on D:) can be restored from a server backup. Read this:

Backup & Restore

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response! Ideally, all of my client backups will be in place. I don't plan on doing any server restore, unless that is what I need to do to recover the client backups in the same form they are in now (ie. with all the snapshots).
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I don't see anything in the link you provided which specifies my scenario. I want to do a new WHS 2011 installation, but want to maintain the client backup database. Seems like with the new install, it will create a new database.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:30 PM
  • I think you are correct - getting the data back is easy but I am not sure that you can re-link old client computer backups to a new install.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Out of curiosity, have you installed anything from the server desktop?

Microsoft has moved away from the server recovery model that V1 used, since that was built around the needs and limitations of Drive Extender. Instead you would restore a backup of your server, taken before whatever issue might have prompted the recovery. (This presumes you're backing up everything on your server, obviously.) Exactly what to restore is a little vague. :) For more information about recovering your server, scroll down to the section titled "Recovering the server" in the link Phil provided and read the subtopics there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:43 PM