An unauthorized change may have been made to your Windows license. 0xC004E002 RRS feed

• Question

• I've had this copy of Vista Home Premium for little over a year now. I turned on my computer this morning and I came to a black screen with the error code : 0xC004E002 (The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains inconsistent data). Whenever I hit close it logs me off. The microsoft validation told me my copy of vista is not valid. "An unauthorized change may have been made to your Windows license.".

After some time I found the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool (1.7.0095.0). It reads :

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0xc004c2fa
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0xc004f012
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7P2GB-HF6JH-3TJ89
    Windows Product Key Hash: G3vWE/HKXmciU78Kq5RCgM4wA6Y=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7359722-77575
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {49DBF066-C64E-40B6-8E7A-BC8BF77E163F}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{49DBF066-C64E-40B6-8E7A-BC8BF77E163F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3TJ89</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7359722-77575</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2837200274-3150599070-3406866852</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2N-E ACPI BIOS Revision 0802</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070214000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>FB323507018400F6</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>14152CC086AD2A0</Val><Hash>F28gvi7BRBseKE81qQ5RcM5/OZg=</Hash><Pid>73931-336-1143363-57268</Pid><PidType>8</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

I've never altered the computer's hardware in any way. I tried calling tech support but they wouldn't help unless I paid the $60 since this was an OEM version of Windows I got from newegg.com. Any help would be much appriciated and greatly needed.

Also if it means anything, I've been having alot of issues with the user options under the control pannle. I first noticed when I tried turning off my UAC, the link is utterly unresponsive as are all the links requiring administrative approval (those with little shields). I only noticed this under the Users Option of the control pannel though.

Thanks,

Ben

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:43 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks for your help, I did step 1 but it didn't take very long like you said (as in maybe 2-3seconds). Here is what the terminal said :

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

c:\Windows\system32>cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc
    Microsoft <R> Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright <C> Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs<1635, 9> <null>:0xC004E002

C:\Windows\system32>

-----end----- reboot x2

nothing. trying step 2.

Step 2  conclusion :

I reboot and now I get the same black (desktopless) screen with the notification windows saying : Reinstall Windows. Windows must be reinstalled to activate. I'm just double checking this is what I need to be doing. And by reinstall it means reformat the hard drives like usual?

*note* I don't have the start menu initially but I know how to get it via EI and running explorer.exe

I preformed a system restore this morning (don't know why I didn't try it in the first place) to last week when it was working. The computer came up normal. I went to microsoft.com/genuine and ran the thing and now it says VALIDATION COMPLETE. So I guess it works now /hurray. I'm still having the odd unresponsive links under the user pannle but that sounds like a fight for another day.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

Monday, July 7, 2008 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

It appears there is some bad information in one or more of Vista's licensing files (most likely they have become corrupt or malformed, in some way) Please follow the steps below. These steps will attempt to regenerate the licensing files. If the first set of steps does not resolve, move on to the next set of steps. Please come back and tell me if this resolves your issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #1

1) Open Internet Explorer

2) A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step set #2

1) Open Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Reboot Twice

11) Vista may require you to enter a Product Key (use the COA SLP key found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer) and Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method outlined below

Activate by Phone steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, July 7, 2008 10:52 PM
  •  

Thanks for your help, I did step 1 but it didn't take very long like you said (as in maybe 2-3seconds). Here is what the terminal said :

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

c:\Windows\system32>cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc
    Microsoft <R> Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright <C> Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32\slmgr.vbs<1635, 9> <null>:0xC004E002

C:\Windows\system32>

-----end----- reboot x2

nothing. trying step 2.

Step 2  conclusion :

I reboot and now I get the same black (desktopless) screen with the notification windows saying : Reinstall Windows. Windows must be reinstalled to activate. I'm just double checking this is what I need to be doing. And by reinstall it means reformat the hard drives like usual?

*note* I don't have the start menu initially but I know how to get it via EI and running explorer.exe

I preformed a system restore this morning (don't know why I didn't try it in the first place) to last week when it was working. The computer came up normal. I went to microsoft.com/genuine and ran the thing and now it says VALIDATION COMPLETE. So I guess it works now /hurray. I'm still having the odd unresponsive links under the user pannle but that sounds like a fight for another day.

Thanks for the help!

Ben

Monday, July 7, 2008 11:49 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I am very sorry, that black screen with the error "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" should Not have happened from the steps I provided and was not my intent. I try to fix things and only resort to reinstalls as the last option.

I am glad that the system restore appears to have resolved your issue!

As for the 'unresponsive links under the user panel, I am unsure what you mean. But if you run another Diagnostic Report and Vista is showing as Genuine, then that issue is most likely not caused by Vista's Anti-Piracy sub-systems and, as such, would most likely be outside my area of knowledge.

Thanks,

Darin 

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Darin,

I'm in IT and experienced this same problem on two different pc's.

The first time, I ended up restoring to a two week old disk image backup, losing some data.

This time, the problem affected the President of our company's pc.

I tried set#2 instructions and it fixed his problem.

However, I need to get to the root cause.  He is extremely frustrated with his new Vista PC and wants to go back to XP or get a mac.

How can we trouble shoot this?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I had the same problem whereby running through those steps didn't work. However, on a hunch I gave it another shot when I got the "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" and this time, I saw what I'm assuming I was supposed to see the first time around. A list of files removed/changed etc after running cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc.

So, basically running through the steps twice worked perfectly for me and got me invited to a client's Christmas party :D

Thanks for your help! :)
    Monday, August 18, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Darin,
    I too followed the instructions in both steps 1 and 2 and am now presented with the screen telling me that I must now reinstall windows to continue.  However, unlike Ben, I have two problems.

1.) while performing steps 1 and 2 I seem to have cleared my restore points
    2.) I downloaded windows and do not have the actual CD, though somewhere In my "locker" I have all of the serial numbers etc.  (irrelevant as a reinstall would wipe my system anyway)

Any thoughts on how I can undo the process that is now calling for reinstallation and attempt another means of fixing my problem?

your feedback is greatly appreciated,
    Jared
    Monday, August 18, 2008 10:11 PM
  •  

pcguys:  I can find no commonality between different users that experience this issue. Some had just installed a program, others had installed an Update and others report not doing anything.

I know that the issue involves Vista's Licensing Store and that Regenerating or Recreating the licensing store has been known to fix the issue. I don't know enough about the issue to troubleshoot the root cause.

redtail media: I suggest creating a (no cost) Service Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for more indepth assistance, then I can provide.

Darin

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:46 PM